• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Suggestion: don’t put Intel #3 if you don’t intend to invest the time and energy to learn to be a great Intel officer, or, if you’re merely hoping for it to be a quick stepping stone to some unrelated designator.
Common.

Also, dual citizen and Intel officer aren’t typically compatible.

number9

Contributor
Suggestion: don’t put Intel #3 if you don’t intend to invest the time and energy to learn to be a great Intel officer, or, if you’re merely hoping for it to be a quick stepping stone to some unrelated designator.

Also, dual citizen and Intel officer aren’t typically compatible. Especially when there are plenty of qualified officer applicants whose only allegiance is to the United States. I’m not saying it’s impossible or forbidden, but I’ve also never met any.
The Intel suggestion was a suggestion of my OR, who has been great.

Is it your impression that boards might see someone who lists 1815, 1825 & Intel and say "This guy doesn't know what he wants" and then you get dinged? Or is your impression that the board is ambivalent, but the applicant should ensure they really want Intel in order to be a good officer?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Is it your impression that boards might see someone who lists 1815, 1825 & Intel and say "This guy doesn't know what he wants" and then you get dinged? Or is your impression that the board is ambivalent, but the applicant should ensure they really want Intel in order to be a good officer?
Quite the opposite. If you put Intel #3 on your list, the board will think you want it as choice #3. Just make sure you want it.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am pretty sure those joining the military are under different rules per current recruiter friends of mine.
As with anything, make sure you get a reference when someone says, "no."

On two occasions I've had Sea Lawyers tell me I would have problems with my SCI. The first time was when I strategically short-sold an underwater investment property and the second time was when my spouse became a dual-citizen.

exNavyOffRec

As with anything, make sure you get a reference when someone says, "no."

On two occasions I've had Sea Lawyers tell me I would have problems with my SCI. The first time was when I strategically short-sold an underwater investment property and the second time was when my spouse became a dual-citizen.
It is in the officer cruitman, the processors are the ones responsible for making sure that part is followed.

number9

Contributor
What are your IT/cyber qualifications, if you don't mind me asking?
Do you think there's any value in trying to sit a CISSP or Security+ exam just to get the cert? I've never worked for an organization that has valued them, and I tend to think that my experience outweighs my lack of certs. But I've been wrong before...

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Do you think there's any value in trying to sit a CISSP or Security+ exam just to get the cert? I've never worked for an organization that has valued them, and I tend to think that my experience outweighs my lack of certs. But I've been wrong before...
If you want to be an 181X/182X, then yes, they can't hurt.

That said, don't delay applying at your age; apply for DCO and gets certs concurrently.

number9

Contributor
If you want to be an 181X/182X, then yes, they can't hurt.

That said, don't delay applying at your age; apply for DCO and gets certs concurrently.
I'm in the process of putting together my medical records and updating my resume, as well as figuring out who to have write my LORs. So I'm trying to get through the initial stuff first, but am also thinking of what I can do to support my candidacy once I'm (hopefully) through MEPS. As always, I appreciate the help!

Is there any value in telling my OR and/or writing in my packet that I'm pursuing certs? Or should I just say nothing until I (potentially) have them. Similarly, is it worth trying to find an OIC to talk to so that I say, "This is my resume and here is my experience. Do you think I need to do anything else?"

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I've never worked for an organization that has valued them,
What type of companies have you worked for? CISSP is one of the most valuable security certifications out there and SEC+ is a DOD requirement if you want to have admin privileges.

number9

Contributor
What type of companies have you worked for? CISSP is one of the most valuable security certifications out there and SEC+ is a DOD requirement if you want to have admin privileges.
Most recently I was at a large data storage company, though not in an infosec role. Right now I'm at a startup, where anything goes!

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Most recently I was at a large data storage company, though not in an infosec role. Right now I'm at a startup, where anything goes!
If you look at the Program Authorizations, you might be able to come in as an O2 or O3 with relevant certifications.