• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
how did you choose between applying for 1815 vs 1825?
Cryptologic Warfare deals with the entire gamut of SIGINT (COMINT, EW, CYBER,etc.) while IP is Assured C2 (Comms). It really depends on what you want to do. I chose CW because I was doing enterprise comms stuff at my day job and didn't want to spend my drill time doing the same thing.
I have no programming experience so that probably precludes me from 1840.
There arent any 1840 (1845) in the reserves yet. Should be soon though.

snake020

Contributor
^ with regard to that...

I served with a fellow JO in my last unit. She was downrange on an NSW mob as an IS2 after getting picked up for 1835. Someone who was looking out for her saw the dates on her paperwork, cut her mob short in an extremely quick manner (modified her orders), and got her flown back to CONUS on a special flight so she could swear in as an ENS on or about 29 Sep of that year. Luckily for her, she commissioned within her yeargroup and then obviously was safe from mob for the next 3+ years. IIRC, she still isn’t sure what would have happened if she hadn’t commissioned before 01 Oct but she said she’s glad she’ll never have to find out.

OCM has flexibility. They had to do the same for me transitioning from IRR to SELRES since MEPS delays extended the transition by a year.

number9

Contributor
Cryptologic Warfare deals with the entire gamut of SIGINT (COMINT, EW, CYBER,etc.) while IP is Assured C2 (Comms). It really depends on what you want to do. I chose CW because I was doing enterprise comms stuff at my day job and didn't want to spend my drill time doing the same thing.

There arent any 1840 (1845) in the reserves yet. Should be soon though.
Thank you for the reply. It sounds like CW would be more interesting to me than IP, though I'd be happy with either...

number9

Contributor
Are you applying for DCO SUPPO, DCO IWC, or a mix?
Unless my OR tells me otherwise, it'll be CW then IP then SUPPO. I realize that CW/IP is a very different discipline to Supply, but Supply is a better reflection of my current (post-MBA) career whereas CW/IP is a better reflection of my pre-MBA career. Frankly I think I'd be more impactful as CW/IP, but we'll see.

snake020

Contributor
Unless my OR tells me otherwise, it'll be CW then IP then SUPPO. I realize that CW/IP is a very different discipline to Supply, but Supply is a better reflection of my current (post-MBA) career whereas CW/IP is a better reflection of my pre-MBA career. Frankly I think I'd be more impactful as CW/IP, but we'll see.

Choose your rate, choose your fate... having been on both sides of that fence, my satisfaction with IP has been proportional to my dissatisfaction with supply.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
What are your IT/cyber qualifications, if you don't mind me asking?

number9

Contributor
Choose your rate, choose your fate... having been on both sides of that fence, my satisfaction with IP has been proportional to my dissatisfaction with supply.
I need to find people to talk to about their experiences. I personally one AD SUPPO and one reservist IP, but that's it. I'll ask my OR for suggestions, but otherwise I think I'll need to trawl LinkedIn.

number9

Contributor
What are your IT/cyber qualifications, if you don't mind me asking?
Sure. I'm a bit unusual in that I've done a bit of everything: UNIX administration (esp. Linux, AIX, Solaris), Windows Server administration, databases (esp. MySQL, Oracle), virtualization (AIX LPAR, Solaris zones, VMware), infrastructure (e.g. DNS, LDAP, Exchange) and a ton of storage system work (esp. NetApp, IBM). I've never had a true security role but I've done all the bits adjacent to the stuff I've mentioned above: encrypted filesystems, encrypted databases, IPSec/VPNs, etc. I've also done a little bit of comms work (radios and VSATs) but that was more than a decade ago now.

I'd describe myself as a "UNIX and storage guy" first and foremost, I guess.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I've been pretty dissatisfied with IP to be honest. I should have converted to CW.

I did not get selected. Working to redo my package and go for the next board in the Spring. I had a great package and great interviews, but my OIC interview appraisal was not strong as we didn't seem to click in the interview. Those interview appraisals make all the difference so make sure you all give it your best in those.
Were you able to get new appraisals?