• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Re-applying in the fall?

I'm already 51 now (would be 52 in SEPT) and have been at this longer (since 2007) than it took me to get both of the degrees (B.Sc. Network Engineering/M.Sc. InfoSec) I'm using to apply. Didn't need an age waiver when I started, but can't make 20 now (but have signed the requisite retirement waiver form). As for age, PA 231 (the Program Authority for IDC) was recently re-written specifically to permit older candidates (like me) in these communities. But as indicated in the past, I've experienced some challenges with this exercise (packages mysteriously not making the board in time from NRD, or being dismissed erroneously on age at the board - confirmed by RADM @ NRC N-zero-zero). I even went the extra mile this time around to acquire community interviews from both an O-7 (Bond) and O-8 (Simpson), as well as [yet] another O-6, all 10s.

So - between all that, being prior service USAF, already working daily as an IA SME for SECDEF at PNT, holding an active TS/SCI, and holding my ISSEP (which puts me in a group of about 900 world wide, instead of 95k CISSPs), as well as a bevy of other industry certs, plus 15+ years in commercial industry and 3+ years in DoD, and an endorsement from the Eastern Region IDC OIC, I am afraid I just don't know, Jason.

Sorry to hear that. Im seriously suprised you were not selected. Seems like you have everything the Navy wants in its Officers.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
I'm surprised they didn't select you also. I know age waivers are granted a lot more if your medical. I'm not sure how often for us IDC.

Messiah62

The only thing I can see is the age being an issue. I am 22, will be 23 in June and will be able to offer the Navy Reserves 20+ years of duty. I have been in the Air National Guard for 5 years.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
The only thing I can see is the age being an issue. I am 22, will be 23 in June and will be able to offer the Navy Reserves 20+ years of duty. I have been in the Air National Guard for 5 years.
Yes, but the preference for candidates to be able to achieve 20 years of commissioned duty is not a statutory Title X requirement. If it were, the retirement waiver form would not exist. It appears to be a service-based cultural preference, simply one that is clearly challenging to overcome.

Of course, lacking transparency in the board processes, there's no way to know or prove age bias.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
I'm surprised they didn't select you also. I know age waivers are granted a lot more if your medical. I'm not sure how often for us IDC.
With PA 231 being retooled to permit older candidates, it would seem intuitive that the community should be at its leisure to acquire the talent it needs without concern for waivers.

das

Contributor
By the way, the new PA is out for IW:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/NEW Program Authorizations/PA 108C IW.pdf

IP is still in process.

Congrats again to all who were selected. To those who were not selected, keep trying -- keep improving your package, and yourself. I know that for several selects this board, it was their 3rd or even 4th board. I'll get the specifics together (what the board was looking for, etc.) from the results letter later today.

AVG

Congratulations to all Selected! For those non-selects, do not be discouraged. Now is the time to go over your DCO package, and look for areas of improvement.

1. Ensure resume and/or evaluations reflect leadership. Google "navy leadership traits" site:navy.mil , the fourth link is a document from OCS which outlines the 15 leadership traits.​
For those currently enlisted: Is your military record up to date? Is all of your education, training and evaluations in BOL, SMART, NSIPS?​
2. Review your motivational statement. Have others review your motivational statement. Say what you have to say. No more no less.​
3. Learn from your interview. Did you adequately and confidently answer the board's questions? Did you second guess yourself? Its better to say I don't know, than to try to give a BS answer. How was your appearance? Too tired or too wired (too much coffee)?​
4. If you are working on certifications to enhance your DCO package, are those certifications inline with your CoI? Check Navy COOL to find out what certs are priority for your community.​

For those selected, if you have a working military CAC, visit the Navy Reserve DCOIC SharePoint site for information on DCOIC. Navy Reserve SharePoint site is OPEN to the DOD CAC community.

Thanks for the Links AVG! I didnt know about the Navy COOL site. Looks like all of my certifications align well with either IW or IP. Hopefully I get selected in September.

das

Contributor
MAR 2013 IDC PR highlights -- use this information to understand what the board is looking for. Note new emphasis on STEM fields:

The professional review board utilized a "best fit" approach when selecting candidates for the various Information Dominance Corps (IDC) designators. Based on this approach, a candidate may have been selected for a designator which was not the candidate's primary community preference but the professional review board determined the presented skills were a better fit for the community for which they were ultimately selected. Particular emphasis was also given to the "whole person" concept as well as demonstrated success with respect to coursework in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).

IW: Selected applications possessed the following general attributes: outstanding appraisals (military), letters of recommendation, type degree (particularly STEM related)/level of education/GPA, Information Warfare/IDC related job experience, security clearance eligibility, significant leadership experience and strong motivational/personal statement.

IP: Selected applications possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military/civilian), advanced technical degrees (particularly STEM related), Information Technology/IDC-related work experience, technical certifications, security clearance eligibility, strong and well-written motivational statements, outstanding interviews and recommendations.

INTEL: Selected applications possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military/civilian), level of education/performance (with emphasis on STEM related coursework), intelligence/IDC-related/analytical work experience, security clearance eligibility, strong IDC OIC endorsements and panel interviews and wellwritten motivational statements.

OCEANO: Selected application possessed the following general attributes: specific relevant Meteorology and Oceanography educational background and experience.

NON-SELECT: Non-selected applications possessed one or more of the following general attributes: Weak or ambiguous IDC OIC endorsement, less than outstanding panel interviews, lack of quantifiable leadership, lack of demonstrated strong educational performance (with emphasis on STEM related coursework), demonstrated poor writing skills and civilian or military employment/skill set not applicable.

Other:

The Professional Review noted a few applications did not meet minimum requirements as delineated in IDC Program Authorizations and other governing documents. Recruiters need to carefully scrutinize applicant packages for completeness, consistency and compliance.

The Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance has directed a 60-40% hard science versus social science targeted accession mix of all new IDC accessions. Recruiters shall make every reasonable attempt to submit future candidates with preferred major fields of study associated with the achievement of information dominance to include, but not limited to, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).

Strong emphasis on candidate's post education/professional certifications and leadership qualities. Additionally, candidates should explain any adverse areas in their application that may be presented by the various local boards, endorsements and enlisted evaluations for prior service candidates.

Although enlisted professionals are a rich resource from which to develop future officers, candidates whose rates are not permanent or are completing their community's initial training requirements should not apply until initial training requirements are completed.

Candidate's packages should be tailored to the communities for which they are applying. IDC applicants with interviews and motivational statements tailored to communities outside the IDC made it difficult for the voting members to determine the candidate's IDC suitability. IDC Packages should be tailored to communities within the IDC for which the candidate is best suited based on their education, skill set and occupational experience.

All selected prior service commissioned officers shall be commissioned at their last commissioned rank. Recruiters are instructed to reset time-in-grade clocks for any selectees that will be commissioned in the grade of O-3 so as to not disadvantage or hinder the candidate's future promotion opportunities.

Specifics regarding candidate's scores or board deliberations will not be disclosed outside of the professional review membership. Candidates and recruiters are encouraged to consult with the local IDC Region OIC and OCEANO/IW/IP RC community leads referencing appropriate paragraphs to determine how to proceed/improve candidate's package. The guiding documents for this PR were Program Authorizations 108A, 108B, 108C, and 231. Candidates are discouraged from contacting the IDC (Active/Reserve) OCMs or professional review voting members and should request any information regarding the professional review process via their NRDs.

The next IDC DCO Professional Review will be held 16-19 September 2013. Revised Program Authorizations for IDC communities have been released with the exception of the Information Professional community. The Information Professional community Program Authorization is being staffed and is anticipated to be released prior to the next board. Interim guidance has been promulgated through CNRC PRODOCs checklist, CIDCRC DCO Recruiting SOP and MAR 2013 IDC DCO PR Precept. All IDC applicants require an IDC Reserve Region OIC endorsement or Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command (CNMOC) Operational Support Officer (OSO) endorsement.

All professionally recommended enlisted IDC candidates currently mobilized or identified for mobilization shall be commissioned after demobilization, irrespective of the fiscal year. Additionally, those candidates who have not previously mobilized in their current rate or are outside dwell or deferment period shall be required to fulfill directed community mobilization requirements prior to commissioning.

--

Other critical resources:
Board history:

SEP09 (first FY10 board) - 174 applicants. Selected 57 INTEL. (Last INTEL-only board.)
MAR10 (second FY10 board) - 278 applicants. Selected 31 INTEL, 11 IW, 13 IP, 0 OCEANO. (First joint IDC board.)
SEP10 (first FY11 board) - 262 applicants. Selected 41 INTEL, 10 IW, 5 IP, 2 OCEANO.
MAR11 (second FY11 board) - 283 applicants. Selected 40 INTEL, 10 IW, 6 IP, 0 OCEANO.
SEP11 (first FY12 board) - 348 applicants. Selected 55 INTEL, 12 IW, 7 IP, 0 OCEANO.
MAR12 (second FY12 board) - 243 applicants. Selected 59 INTEL, 8 IW, 9 IP, 1 OCEANO.
SEP12 (first FY13 board) - 285 applicants. Selected 54 INTEL, 6 IW, 5 IP, 0 OCEANO.
MAR13 (second FY13 board) - 234 applicants. Selected 53 INTEL, 7 IW, 5 IP, 1 OCEANO.
SEP13 (first FY14 board), 16-19SEP13.