• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

azguy

None
So how do you see yourself actuatually contributing from the reserves? Is DCO a back door to active duty or FTS?

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
So how do you see yourself actuatually contributing from the reserves? Is DCO a back door to active duty or FTS?

Just speaking for myself, I'm keeping my options open. If I get into the Reserves and really like it, I might consider a transition to to full-time. If I don't get pro-rec at the board this month, I'll also look into the possibility of signing up for active duty, but that wouldn't be my #1 preference.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
To you DCO guys, what is driving you into the reserves vice active duty? Are your civ jobs that great?
I have always wanted to serve in the military but until recently I was not in a position to do so. With an AD husband I can serve in the reserves and never worry about getting stationed away from him! Lol Seriously I do love my civilian job and know that what I do there will help me in the Navy and the Navy will help me in the civilian world.

Nice icon too. I did a double take when I was scrolling through the thread. :D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

azguy

None
I have always wanted to serve in the military but until recently I was not in a position to do so. With an AD husband I can serve in the reserves and never worry about getting stationed away from him! Lol Seriously I do love my civilian job and know that what I do there will help me in the Navy and the Navy will help me in the civilian world.

Nice icon too. I did a double take when I was scrolling through the thread. :D

Thanks.

And I definitely see where you're coming from...it's a nice résumé addition for sure. To me, that's the biggest perk to DCO.

I never saw reservists in the fleet for 4 yrs, but from the perspective of a major intel shore command, there is very little value added by reservists. Seems like a bad deal for big Navy, good deal for the reservists.

Also, I know MOBs are decreasing though, but as a mobilized reservist you, ironically, would have fewer "rights" than a dual active couple.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thanks.

And I definitely see where you're coming from...it's a nice résumé addition for sure. To me, that's the biggest perk to DCO.

I never saw reservists in the fleet for 4 yrs, but from the perspective of a major intel shore command, there is very little value added by reservists. Seems like a bad deal for big Navy, good deal for the reservists.

Also, I know MOBs are decreasing though, but as a mobilized reservist you, ironically, would have fewer "rights" than a dual active couple.

I don't know about resume additions, I'm talking pure project management. Then again, I'm CEC so things might be different in how job aspects translate.

Yeah, the rights of AD-AD vs AD-RC are strange. Still isn't stopping me from trying to convince my husband to join the OSC though! Lol

exNavyOffRec

Thanks.

but from the perspective of a major intel shore command, there is very little value added by reservists. Seems like a bad deal for big Navy, good deal for the reservists.

I most recently worked with 3 IDC officers, one was active, another was active, then went directly to active reserves for recruiting, the last was only reserve then active for recruiting. The one that strictly reserve then active for recruiting baffled us as to how this person was selected, no civilian IDC work, no management, no supervisory work, no certifications, nothing at all, the other IDC officers we had said this individual had no idea what it was like to be an IDC officer, and this person never did a MOB

navgovie

IW Officer
Thanks.

The likely reason you never saw a reservist in the fleet is many of them were taking an IA in the sandpit so that someone in the fleet (maybe you!) didn't have to.

Also, in response to NavyOffRec, I wonder given that the IDC is only ~ two and a half years old, who really knows what it "means" to be an IDC officer? As for my own experience it's really quite the opposite. Going through my various IDC basic schools I was shocked by the lack of basic technical knowledge that many of active duty lateral transfers into the IDC displayed. Many were former SWO's and aviators that didn't seem to know the first thing about networks, SATCOMs, or IO. As such, I don't think it is so much a reserve deficiency as is an IDC filtering problem....or maybe I'm just an overly sensitive reservist... :p

exNavyOffRec

The likely reason you never saw a reservist in the fleet is many of them were taking an IA in the sandpit so that someone in the fleet (maybe you!) didn't have to.

Also, in response to NavyOffRec, I wonder given that the IDC is only ~ two and a half years old, who really knows what it "means" to be an IDC officer? As for my own experience it's really quite the opposite. Going through my various IDC basic schools I was shocked by the lack of basic technical knowledge that many of active duty lateral transfers into the IDC displayed. Many were former SWO's and aviators that didn't seem to know the first thing about networks, SATCOMs, or IO. As such, I don't think it is so much a reserve deficiency as is an IDC filtering problem....or maybe I'm just an overly sensitive reservist... :p

Two were Intel one was IP, they were all on recruiting when they moved IW/IP/Intel under IDC, the one I specifically mentioned was Intel.

das

Contributor
To you DCO guys, what is driving you into the reserves vice active duty? Are your civ jobs that great?

1. I was too old for active duty.
2. My civilian job is great, and I have been there for 18 years.
3. My wife and I don't want to move.

Of course, 1. killed it right away, but there were multiple reasons. The reserves give me the flexibility to serve, including in billets all over the country, while keeping the civilian side stable. For me it is the best of both worlds.