• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

barlowdt

3rd time was a charm for me

Congrats! Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I see that you are Palace Acquire for intel? I ask because I am Palace Acquire for IT, so it would be cool to know that there's another AF PAQ intern going through the final hoops to becoming a Navy Reserve Officer. :) Maybe the Navy has a thing for us PAQs, ehh? Hahah.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
No word here. 6th and (subjectively) strongest application. Applied to IP, IW and Intel this time.
However, I am choosing to subscribe to the notion that bad news (generally) travels faster than good news.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Sure
Prior service Navy IT2 (5 years of service)
Active clearance
12 years of IT experience since leaving the Navy
BS in IT/Informations systems security
A bunch of IT certifications

Sorry you were not selected. I have not heard back from my recruiter...hoping for the best. Are you planning to re-apply for MAR2013?

PapaK

My package was through NRD New England as well. I kept waiting for the LT that was running the interview boards to call....finally I called him and he was going on leave the week of the deadline. When I heard that I arranged my own interview board and got in just under the wire.

Good luck to everyone.

Chris, How did you arrange your own interview? I was told that everything had to go through the recruiter but I keep getting screwed because of that. Mind if we have a phone conversation? Could use some counsel.

das

Contributor
Anyone can ask any Officer if he or she would be willing to conduct an interview. There are a couple of caveats to this:

- it can be frowned upon for a currently drilling enlisted reservist to ask senior officers for this accommodation outside of the chain of command and/or your recruiter
- you generally don't want to "go around" someone who is helping you (i.e., your recruiter)

In my case, my recruiter was supportive, and I arranged five of my own interviews just by asking. No one I asked said no, and all were happy to do it.

exNavyOffRec

Anyone can ask any Officer if he or she would be willing to conduct an interview. There are a couple of caveats to this:

- it can be frowned upon for a currently drilling enlisted reservist to ask senior officers for this accommodation outside of the chain of command and/or your recruiter
- you generally don't want to "go around" someone who is helping you (i.e., your recruiter)

In my case, my recruiter was supportive, and I arranged five of my own interviews just by asking. No one I asked said no, and all were happy to do it.

Don't forget for IDC designators the interviewers have to be specific people and specific ranks, that could be the difficult part, more specific the region IDC OIC for your area.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Don't forget for IDC designators the interviewers have to be specific people and specific ranks, that could be the difficult part, more specific the region IDC OIC for your area.

Had similar problems with my last package. Early on, I hadn't yet been assigned a (new) recruiter for this board, and my contacts at Millington pointed me at the regional IDC OIC directly. When I contacted him, he informed me that he couldn't provide *me* with an endorsement board, that my recruiter had to set it up. By the time I had a recruiter and he reached out to the regional OIC, it was so close to package submission time that the regional IDC OIC wouldn't juggle his schedule to accommodate me. I wound up having to pick up an interview from a different region just to get it into my package. Of course, your mileage may vary.

das

Contributor
SEP 2012 IDC PR highlights -- use this information to understand what the board is looking for:

The professional review board utilized a “best fit” approach when selecting candidates for the various Information Dominance Corps (IDC) designators. Based on this approach, a candidate may have been selected for a designator that was not the candidate’s primary community preference but the professional review board determined the presented skills were a better fit for the community which they were ultimately selected.

IW: Selected applications possessed the following general attributes: outstanding interview appraisals, letters of recommendation, strong technical academic credentials (type degree/level of education/GPA), Information Technology certifications, Information Warfare/IDC related job experience, security clearance eligibility, demonstrated leadership experience or potential, strong motivational/personal statement. Strong language skills were also favorably considered.

IP: Selected applications possessed the following general attributes: demonstrated leadership experience or potential, advanced technical degrees (completed or actively pursuing), Information Technology/IDC-related work experience, active duty operational experience, Information Technology certifications, security clearance eligibility, strong and well-written motivational statements, outstanding interviews and recommendations.

INTEL: Selected applications possessed the following general attributes: demonstrated leadership experience or potential, strong academic credentials, intelligence/IDC-related work experience, active duty operational experience, demonstrated foreign language and cultural expertise, security clearance eligibility, strong IDC OIC endorsements and panel interviews and well-written motivational statements.

OCEANO: No candidates were selected.

NON-SELECT: Many candidates possessed high confidence factors but were not selected due to quota limitations.

Other:

The Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance has directed a 60-40% hard science versus social science targeted accession mix of all new IDC accessions. Recruiters shall make every reasonable attempt to submit future candidates with preferred major fields of study associated with the achievement of information dominance to include, but not limited to, computer science, math, physical sciences, and engineering. Additionally, candidates applying for Information Dominance Corps are highly encouraged to provide documentation for all listed Information Technology certifications.

Strong emphasis was placed on candidate’s post education/professional certifications and leadership qualities. Recommend candidates clearly address any perceived weaknesses in their application and articulate their motivation for an Information Dominance Corps commission in the Applicant’s Motivational Statement section of the application. Some non-selected applications possessed one or more of the following general attributes: weak IDC OIC endorsements, less than exceptional panel interviews, lack of demonstrated leadership experience or potential, less competitive academic credentials (level, institution, GPA, program of study, currency), and weaker communication skills.

Although enlisted professionals are a rich resource from which to harvest future officers, candidates whose rates are not permanent or are completing their community’s initial training requirements should not apply until initial training requirements are completed.

Candidate’s packages should be tailored to the IDC and designators within the IDC for which the candidate is best suited based on their education, skill set and/or occupational experience. Applicants with interviews and motivational statements tailored to communities outside the IDC made it difficult for the voting members to determine the candidate’s IDC suitability.

All selected prior service commissioned officers shall be commissioned at their last commissioned rank. Recruiters are instructed to reset time-in-grade clocks for any selectees that will be commissioned in the grade of O3-O4 so as to not disadvantage or hinder the candidate’s future promotion opportunities.

Specifics regarding candidate’s scores or board deliberations will not be disclosed outside of the professional review membership. Candidates and recruiters are encouraged to consult with the local IDC Region OIC and OCEANO/IW/IP RC community leads referencing appropriate paragraphs to determine how to proceed/improve candidate’s package. The guiding documents for this PR were Program Authorizations 107A, 205, 206, and 231. Candidates are discouraged from contacting the IDC (Active/Reserve) OCMs or professional review voting members and should request any information regarding the professional review process via their NRDs.

The next IDC DCO Professional Review will be held 18-21 March 2013. Revised Program Authorizations for all IDC communities are currently being staffed and are anticipated to be released prior to the next board. Interim guidance has been promulgated through CNRC PRODOCs checklist, CNIRC DCO Recruiting SOP and SEP 2012 IDC DCO PR Precept. All future IDC applicants will require an IDC Region OIC endorsement.

All professionally recommended enlisted IDC candidates currently mobilized or identified for mobilization shall be commissioned after demobilization, irrespective of the fiscal year. Additionally, those candidates who have not previously mobilized in their current rate or are outside dwell or deferment period shall be required to fulfill directed community mobilization requirements prior to commissioning.

--

Other critical resources:
Board history:

SEP09 (first FY10 board) - 174 applicants. Selected 57 INTEL. (Last INTEL-only board.)
MAR10 (second FY10 board) - 278 applicants. Selected 31 INTEL, 11 IW, 13 IP, 0 OCEANO. (First joint IDC board.)
SEP10 (first FY11 board) - 262 applicants. Selected 41 INTEL, 10 IW, 5 IP, 2 OCEANO.
MAR11 (second FY11 board) - 283 applicants. Selected 40 INTEL, 10 IW, 6 IP, 0 OCEANO.
SEP11 (first FY12 board) - 348 applicants. Selected 55 INTEL, 12 IW, 7 IP, 0 OCEANO.
MAR12 (second FY12 board) - 243 applicants. Selected 59 INTEL, 8 IW, 9 IP, 1 OCEANO.
SEP12 (first FY13 board) - 285 applicants. Selected 54 INTEL, 6 IW, 5 IP, 0 OCEANO.
MAR13 (second FY13 board), 18-21MAR13.

(SEP12 EXPECTED quotas for reference: 48 INTEL, 6 IW, 4 IP, 1 OCEANO.)

OHNavy

Truckin'
Picked up at this time. My fourth board. Key message: hang in there and be able to quantify specific improvements.

Currently underway, so I need to get back to it. Will post thoughts/suggestions once ashore.

PapaK

Picked up at this time. My fourth board. Key message: hang in there and be able to quantify specific improvements.

Currently underway, so I need to get back to it. Will post thoughts/suggestions once ashore.

Congrats! Well-deserved.