• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Fronch - good luck on your board, and your interviews if you have not had them yet. From my experience over the last few months, most I can say about the possibility of doing active duty NIOBIC is that yes, it is a possibility, but many factors will impact if that is the route you decide to go.

Thanks. I interviewed back in March (it went very well) and my packet got submitted about a month ago, so it's been a lot of waiting and speculating. My profession (I'm a professor) would allow me to take a semester off to do the NIOBC (assuming the 5 months for that course fit into a May-December or January-August window). I won't be too upset if I end up having to do the Reserve version, but I'd like to take advantage of the opportunity to do it all at once if at all possible.

I've informed my bosses (dept. chair, dean, etc.) that there's a possibility that I'll need to take that leave of absence in Spring 2014, and they're fine with it, though of course they'd like to know for sure sooner rather than later. However, from what folks here are saying, it sounds like it's more likely to be Fall 2014, if it happens at all.

AgLawman

Thanks again Das on the good gouge. I have been checking NEX WEB daily to see if I showed up in DEERS yet and it finally allowed me in yesterday morning. I had my CAC by 2pm yesterday afternoon. Things are starting to come together. OR believes that I should Indoc next drill weekend, 27/28 July, but no confirmation from NOSC, PS1 is on leave, furlough perhaps, not sure. I will have my Commissioning ceremony for friends and family that saturday at the Heritage Park on base, never could get a shipboard one coordinated. My new CO is going to conduct, which will be better in my opinion anyway.

AgLawman

Confirmed yesterday with PS1 that I am on list for Indoc next weekend. Has anybody here recently gone through, what can I expect? I am assuming death by PowerPoint. writers cramp, and maybe a visit to base medical and dental, how close is that?

das

Contributor
Think of it as "new employee orientation", but for the Navy Reserve (and specifically, your particular NOSC).

Thirteen

AgLawman,

I am also attending INDOC next weekend, but while drilling with my unit last weekend I got a lot of INDOC-business done. From my limited but recent experience, this is what I'd say you should expect: You'll give 4 or 5 vials of blood (including 1, for lipids, that you'll need to fast 8 hours for). You'll get a dental exam. You'll most certainly attend a SAPR (Sexual Assault Prevention and Response) briefing as it seems to be a very high priority right now for all service members. You'll likely get an Information Assurance Awareness briefing, and from what I understand it is necessary to get this box checked off before getting to NIOBC. If you don't already have one, you'll get a navy.mil email address linked to your CAC card, which is necessary for a lot of NKO trainings and obtaining quotas online. You'll get a CAC card reader for your home computer.

That is probably just the start of the list, and as Das noted, its all a bunch of "new employee orientation" type stuff. Most importantly, in my opinion, is the opportunity to meet and spend time with your unit, if they are drilling that weekend. I am sure your experience will be as overwhelmingly positive as mine was - a group of more dedicated, helpful, experienced and educated individuals is hard to come by.

I defer entirely to folks like Das whose experience in the Navy far exceeds my single weekend drill, but I would suggest spending some time understanding rank structure, when and who to salute (including when going aboard - potentially entering the NOSC), and having your uniform squared away. Like you, I have spent a lot of civilian time in a military environment, but a lot of this is still new to me.

I am going away immediately after INDOC weekend but will happily post whatever parts of my experience are appropriate for the forum upon my return. If anyone has appropriate and specific questions, I will try to address them from my (again, very limited) experience.

AgLawman

Thanks Das and Thirteen, I stopped by the NOSC yesterday and got IT to get my email address started. I was running into what you were talking about, could not get into NKO without it, NTRS either. I have showed up on my training officers delinquency list for gmts and such. I know that is normal, but I hate being on the bad list :)

So where are all the new applicants for next months board? I know I will be applying again for the second time. Final package goes in tomorrow. Anybody else?

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
So where are all the new applicants for next months board? I know I will be applying again for the second time. Final package goes in tomorrow. Anybody else?

Yup, I'm applying. First time for me, my package has been in for a while now. Nothing to do but wait...

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Quick question about checking status and everything. How long after you commissioned did your status in milconnect change/you have access to the uniform section of the nex? I commissioned about 2 weeks ago and want to know when I can start annoying myself by checking the websites repeatedly. I have already been able to log on to the website and register for "Non Resident Training Programs" but I my milconnect status still shows me as a dependent to my husband and I can't buy my own uniforms yet. From what I am seeing I won't be 'in the system' until my paperwork hits the NOSC and they enter it?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Great...I commissioned 2 weeks ago but thanks to a paperwork screw up it looks like the NOSC won't get my paperwork for at LEAST another 2 weeks. Add in the 2-4 weeks for them to process it and it is looking less and less like I will have finished my INDOC in time to drill with my unit for the big quarterly drill. This is the downside to already being in touch with the CoC for the unit, they want you ASAP! lol

Thanks for the affirmation, das! :)

Thirteen

I'm posting an update to wrap up my experience from selection to where I am now, so anyone following the same path might have a sense of how things may progress (some INTEL specific).

Selected in March, commissioned in May, gained and CAC by mid June if I remember correctly, and have by now (early September), gone through INDOC as well as two drills with my unit. This coming weekend I will commence NIOBC (Reserve) in Dam Neck. I am scheduled for DCOIC in January; by the time I was able to submit a quota request there were no slots for earlier DCO classes. Wait list is not a winning strategy, by all accounts and according to the schoolhouse.

Add in a ton of online trainings on NKO.

So that's it. Six months from selection and less than four months from commission and things are moving much quicker than I ever anticipated. I'm very grateful. Good luck to everyone up for boards this month!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So that's it. Six months from selection and less than four months from commission and things are moving much quicker than I ever anticipated. I'm very grateful. Good luck to everyone up for boards this month!
Excellent, informative post... you will definitely...
Mr. Spock LLAP.png
"Live long and Prosper"!:)
BzB

azguy

None
To you DCO guys, what is driving you into the reserves vice active duty? Are your civ jobs that great?

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
To you DCO guys, what is driving you into the reserves vice active duty? Are your civ jobs that great?

Personally, I'm applying for the Reserves for exactly that reason. I love my civilian job, but it just hasn't been as fulfilling lately. I look at the Reserves as a way to expand my skillset, have some awesome experiences, and give back to my nation/community, all while keeping my regular job.

By the way, thanks to Thirteen and all the others posting on this board. If I get pro-rec at the IDC board in a couple weeks, I know I'll be combing back through all these threads for all the little nuggets of wisdom you've shared.