• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

RaginCajun

I'd be interested in knowing just what 'help you out' actually means.

BTW - I had 3 interviews (including OIC endorsement), all 10s. Non-select. So, don't get wrapped around the axle about your scores. Yes, 10s are better than 9s, but clearly (as in my case), a bevy of 10s from people who think you're all that and a bag of chips clearly isn't enough on their own. I'm told by my officers that success is found in the 'whole person' concept. Evidence of leadership, civic and/or community service, good grades on recent degrees in relevant fields, etc.

One item - I haven't actually figured out if the requirement for Calculus 1&2 is a hard milestone for these designators (IW - probably; IP - dunno), or if it's just an easy item to bounce you on. It's not uniform in all tech degrees from a lot of schools these days unless you're in a pure CS or Engineering track. Anybody know? NavyOffRec?

I had all three of the Board reviews give me 10/10s and a 100% confidence from the OIC and I was non-select. I don't have a tech degree, but with all luck, at the end of Dec I'll be "ABD" status in my doctoral work, which hopefully puts me in a better position for March.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I had all three of the Board reviews give me 10/10s and a 100% confidence from the OIC and I was non-select. I don't have a tech degree, but with all luck, at the end of Dec I'll be "ABD" status in my doctoral work, which hopefully puts me in a better position for March.
Which designator? Intel, IW, or IP?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
While I understand what you're getting at WRT redesignation, it's not as easy as it once was. The overall health of all the IDC communities is continuing to improve. In IW for O-4 to O-6 we are 101% manned. That means promotion to opportunity and that means less assessions into the community to include lat transfers. Granted I'm talking about the active duty side here but one of the data points to consider is the overall health of the community. That can give some pretty good indications as to what the assessions will look like in the future.

The other thing to consider is the length of time required for quals on the reserve side. You will likely have to complete your quals first so factor some time in your timeline. From what I understand from my reserve friends that can be a considerable timeframe.

As to timeline, the IW community is taking very few lat transfers who choose to transfer later. Too many have lat transfered from other communities and then failed to select for O-4. That is absolutely a consideration. If you don't have competitive FITREPS it is unlikely you will be able to transfer and then immediately select.
Thank you for your insite..

For clarification, all of my comments are for the SELRES (Reserve) community. I cannot speak for the AD side because things are so different, especially for lateral transfers. After more homework and networking, turns out I'm submitting for IP; better suites my civilian background and experience. Qualification process is very structured and you have three years to complete, however, most do it in less time.

On the Reserve side, redesignating it is actually not as difficult as is perceived, I even spoke to someone who went from IW to HR with no issues.

Charlie M

Greetings all. Just wanted to take the time to thank those of you that have posted valuable information in this site which helped me in the process of getting, submitting , screened, boarded and selected (Sept 2012 Board) to my new career as an Intel professional in the Navy.
I’ve been looking at this site for quite some time now and most of the information I found was very helpful in my inter-service transfer. Already have been cleared by medical and clearance is GTG. I look forward to my Select Letter and COMDOC’s so I can solidify and complete the process and move forward.
My question is can I apply for DCOIC slot and NIOBC (Active duty) without being pinned on? If so who makes that call? Command, IDC Region, other? Any information on streamlining the PQS process to get certified in order to push out the door will be greatly appreciated.
Charlie

LCD

I was picked-up in September for one of the Intel spots.

Quick background:
- 35 years old.
- Four years in the Marines. Infantry, deployed w/24th MEU and controlled classified materials at the end of my enlistment for the 6th Marines Regiment.
- BS in Political Science/Economics. Master in Public Administration and Master of Arts in Communication.
- Completed several civic leadership courses, i.e. Leadership KY and Leadership Louisville.
- Strong LORs, one retired USMC 2 Star and a retired USMC Colonel who served Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs in the 80s.
- Strong marks across the board during Navy DCO process.

How long did it take for anyone picked-up in March to receive their final select letter & COMDOCS?

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
Made it off of the March board (IP), Doc's / select letter came in at the end of May, Sworn-in at the begining of June, First drill in July, DCOIC 20 Oct - 2 Nov.

Charlie M

Mr. Innocent, yingty01 - Thanks for the feedback and good info. Hoping those timeline apply to the September board guys/gals. Is there any one else from the September board looking at drilling out of Norfolk area??

barlowdt

Yeah, I'm hoping the timeline is going to be similar too...though I am not too optimistic because of all the holidays...fingers crossed though!

Thought I would add that I'm a Sept pick-up and plan on drilling in the Boston area, in case there are any other lurkers out there from this area as well. :) Here's hoping we get our COMDOCS soon!!

barlowdt

Haha - figures! The day I finally post again is the day I get my final select letter in! Hopefully my fellow Sept board selectees will be getting their letters in soon too!