• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

exNavyOffRec

Potentially, however, it never hurts to ask. I'm sure that if the OIC took issue that he would state as such.

I would hope so, I mean if he did look at it and advise him and them had to recuse himself that would leave them jumping thru hoops to get another OIC IDC interview.

P3toP8

Thanks. Frustrating, indeed. I had to go through two boards myself. Funny that you and I have the same degree.

Whether you drill out of Miami or JAX it would be worth your time to call up the IDC SE OIC in JAX and to schedule a meeting with him. The purpose of which would be to go over your package and to discuss your idea of going on orders. If you want his contact info, PM me.

IMHO, going on ADT/ADSW orders to specifically support Intel would surely help, especially if you can come off of the orders with an excellent eval as well as a LOR from the SEL and CO of the unit/command that you are supporting.

What feedback did you receive from the OIC after you received word that you were not selected? There should have been some type of feedback. For example, when I was not selected the first time, the feedback was for me to get two more interviews and to re-apply. This was, I suspect, because I had a long break in service and did not have many enlisted evals to submit with my package. Getting those additional interviews are what tipped the scale for me.

What, if anything, did the OIC say about your competitiveness for IW as it relates to your electronic warfare background? Just a thought.

I drill out of Jax have thought about asking the IDC OIC to get on some orders and work for him, but as others have mentioned it may be a conflict of interest, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

The feedback I received from the IDC OIC after my interview with him was really good, he literally said the only way I wouldn't get selected was because there are guys with PhD's applying to the program all the time. He thought my background in EW, GEOINT and law enforcement was great. He gave me 100% confidence. He also told me that if I don't get selected to come see him and he will help me out. I'm taking him up on that this drill weekend.

I also had interviews in Jax one with an O-5 and received a 9 and the other a O-6 that I received a 10. My OR thinks that 9 is what held me back from being selected.

I just don't want to get into the cycle of applying over and over. I want this and I not playing around. The only thing I can think of doing is going on AD and showing them.

exNavyOffRec

I drill out of Jax have thought about asking the IDC OIC to get on some orders and work for him, but as others have mentioned it may be a conflict of interest, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

The feedback I received from the IDC OIC after my interview with him was really good, he literally said the only way I wouldn't get selected was because there are guys with PhD's applying to the program all the time. He thought my background in EW, GEOINT and law enforcement was great. He gave me 100% confidence. He also told me that if I don't get selected to come see him and he will help me out. I'm taking him up on that this drill weekend.

I also had interviews in Jax one with an O-5 and received a 9 and the other a O-6 that I received a 10. My OR thinks that 9 is what held me back from being selected.

I just don't want to get into the cycle of applying over and over. I want this and I not playing around. The only thing I can think of doing is going on AD and showing them.

I have seen many get selected with 9's I don't believe any the applications I reviewed had PhD's but they did have high confidence ratings, and from what I was told by my friends at the NRD not having a tech degree now puts you at a big disadvantage.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
He also told me that if I don't get selected to come see him and he will help me out. I'm taking him up on that this drill weekend.

I'd be interested in knowing just what 'help you out' actually means.

BTW - I had 3 interviews (including OIC endorsement), all 10s. Non-select. So, don't get wrapped around the axle about your scores. Yes, 10s are better than 9s, but clearly (as in my case), a bevy of 10s from people who think you're all that and a bag of chips clearly isn't enough on their own. I'm told by my officers that success is found in the 'whole person' concept. Evidence of leadership, civic and/or community service, good grades on recent degrees in relevant fields, etc.

One item - I haven't actually figured out if the requirement for Calculus 1&2 is a hard milestone for these designators (IW - probably; IP - dunno), or if it's just an easy item to bounce you on. It's not uniform in all tech degrees from a lot of schools these days unless you're in a pure CS or Engineering track. Anybody know? NavyOffRec?

P3toP8

I have seen many get selected with 9's I don't believe any the applications I reviewed had PhD's but they did have high confidence ratings, and from what I was told by my friends at the NRD not having a tech degree now puts you at a big disadvantage.

I can buy that but, I'm sure many have made it without a tech degree. It's not in my cards to go back and get an undergrad in tech as I'm currently working in my masters in GEOINT.

What would you to increase your chances to be selected? I have every check in the block I can think of excluding my masters degree, which I am working on.

Another thing that may help me is attending war college but, I'm not eligible to attend that for another year.

exNavyOffRec

BTW - I had 3 interviews (including OIC endorsement), all 10s. Non-select. So, don't get wrapped around the axle about your scores. Yes, 10s are better than 9s, but clearly (as in my case), a bevy of 10s from people who think you're all that and a bag of chips clearly isn't enough on their own. I'm told by my officers that success is found in the 'whole person' concept. Evidence of leadership, civic and/or community service, good grades on recent degrees in relevant fields, etc.

One item - I haven't actually figured out if the requirement for Calculus 1&2 is a hard milestone for these designators (IW - probably; IP - dunno), or if it's just an easy item to bounce you on. It's not uniform in all tech degrees from a lot of schools these days unless you're in a pure CS or Engineering track. Anybody know? NavyOffRec?

IW does not specify Calc and Physics, IP does, we only had 2 schools that had tech degrees that didn't require both calc and phyics, and both we math degrees.

exNavyOffRec

I can buy that but, I'm sure many have made it without a tech degree. It's not in my cards to go back and get an undergrad in tech as I'm currently working in my masters in GEOINT.

What would you to increase your chances to be selected? I have every check in the block I can think of excluding my masters degree, which I am working on.

Another thing that may help me is attending war college but, I'm not eligible to attend that for another year.

I would say get the masters done, unfortunately with the new split they are doing there are many more non tech people fighting for fewer non tech spots.

P3toP8

I'm curious what that means as well. I'll let you know.

I agree 100%, it's not all about the scores.

P3toP8

I would say get the masters done, unfortunately with the new split they are doing there are many more non tech people fighting for fewer non tech spots.

Can you explain "the new split"? I'm unaware of this.

Also, I think not posting anything to this site will increase my chances, it seems as most of the latest selectees were lurkers.....I think I may revert to becoming a lurker.

Just to clarify, you don't think going to work in an IDC office for a few months will help?

exNavyOffRec

Can you explain "the new split"? I'm unaware of this.

Also, I think not posting anything to this site will increase my chances, it seems as most of the latest selectees were lurkers.....I think I may revert to becoming a lurker.

Just to clarify, you don't think going to work in an IDC office for a few months will help?

Intel has gone to a 60/40 tech/non tech degree split for selections, don't know if it is a hard split or guidline with some variance.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME

Dunno. In the past three years, I've been a Regional IAO for an Echelon 2 command (and 12 subordinate commands) for over a year, then spent 18 months as Lead IA Engineer for a Joint SPAWAR/AFSPC SATCOM project, and now work for DOD CIO as an IA Engineer/SME.

Long story, short: Can't hurt, I guess.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Posting to this site has zero bearing on your chances of selection. I would surmise that people are lurkers because they do not want to post anything here so as to give themselves the impression that they have a leg up on other applicants.

If you want to lurk, be my guest, but and feel free to PM me.

IMHO, I think going on Intel specific orders would surely help. It shows commitment, initiative, and willingness to take calculated risks. Also, you will come out of it with a EVAL from people in the community. I would go for it.

P3toP8

Posting to this site has zero bearing on your chances of selection. I would surmise that people are lurkers because they do not want to post anything here so as to give themselves the impression that they have a leg up on other applicants.

If you want to lurk, be my guest, but and feel free to PM me.

IMHO, I think going on Intel specific orders would surely help. It shows commitment, initiative, and willingness to take calculated risks. Also, you will come out of it with a EVAL from people in the community. I would go for it.

I was only kidding about lurking it was just my observation. Thanks for your thoughts on taking intel orders, I'm going to reach out to my local IDC office and look into it. I think even just doing my 2 weeks AT at the IDC office would help.

jenkinrj51

Was wondering if there is a recruiter out there that can PM me? I'm having some problems getting feedback from my recruiter and was hoping to get some advice. I appreciate you time.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Was wondering if there is a recruiter out there that can PM me? I'm having some problems getting feedback from my recruiter and was hoping to get some advice. I appreciate you time.
Problems? As in no response? What kind of problems?