• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

OHNavy

Truckin'
A few quick and random thoughts. Some repeats from what other selectees have shared in the past. Being recommended for a commission obviously doesn’t make me an expert, however here are a few things I feel worked for me:

- Don’t be afraid to do significant re-writes of your resume and motivational statement. I had an officer in the community I was targeting review both. He didn’t know WTF half of my technical accomplishments meant. I was way too technical for targeting Intel. He wanted details in a language he (and therefore most of the IDC board) could understand.

- Quantify accomplishments with specifics. Use percentages, numbers of personnel, cost savings, etc.

- If SELRES, seek out IDC-related ATs, ADTs, etc.

- If you don’t have a Master of whatever degree, consider starting one. Selection with solely a Bachelor’s degree appears rare.

- I did NOT go nuts on LORs. I requested one from my CO who knew me well, that’s it. He is an officer outside the IDC community, however I feel his words carried weight.

Feel free to shoot me a note or reply and I’ll try to provide details on my experience. It took four IDC boards for me, so stay motivated and keep on improving!

Reactions: das

Hector Torres

htorrespr
A few quick and random thoughts. Some repeats from what other selectees have shared in the past. Being recommended for a commission obviously doesn’t make me an expert, however here are a few things I feel worked for me:
- Don’t be afraid to do significant re-writes of your resume and motivational statement. I had an officer in the community I was targeting review both. He didn’t know WTF half of my technical accomplishments meant. I was way too technical for targeting Intel. He wanted details in a language he (and therefore most of the IDC board) could understand.

- Quantify accomplishments with specifics. Use percentages, numbers of personnel, cost savings, etc.

- If SELRES, seek out IDC-related ATs, ADTs, etc.

- If you don’t have a Master of whatever degree, consider starting one. Selection with solely a Bachelor’s degree appears rare.

- I did NOT go nuts on LORs. I requested one from my CO who knew me well, that’s it. He is an officer outside the IDC community, however I feel his words carried weight.

Feel free to shoot me a note or reply and I’ll try to provide details on my experience. It took four IDC boards for me, so stay motivated and keep on improving!

Your post gives me hope.!! :)

exNavyOffRec

This is kind of vague but das might be able to get some better data, but the word from NRC was that those that applied for Intel who had tech degrees had much better chance.

RaginCajun

So...Any word what the numbers will be for the next board? As in, how many applicants they will be accepting?

P3toP8

I am entertaining the idea of taking orders to DC for a few months, specifically ONI to support Senior Intel O's. Can an Intel OR, let me know if the board would recognize this as being committed and increase my chances for selection?

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
So...Any word what the numbers will be for the next board? As in, how many applicants they will be accepting?

Haven't heard anything yet. Might be a bit early for March quotas, since those selected in SEPT still have to pass muster and be commissioned. And lots of things can happen between selection and commission. Or so I'm told...

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am in the process of submitting a re-designation package from Intel to IW.

To the IW and IP non-selects: you may wish to consider applying for INTEL first. Once you are in and once you have your 9600 (Basic Intel qual) and/or your Intel PQS completed, submit a re-designation package.

What makes you competitive for DCO has nothing to do with re-designating to IP or to IW. The DCO process - especially for IW and for IP - is very competitive and selective because it has to be: there are hundreds of highly qualified applicants applying to IW and to IP and there are very few DCO IW and IP slots.

IMHO, every IW and IP applicant that is submitted to the DCO board would succeed in the field, but, the reality is that there are only so many DCO billets for IW and for IP.

This does not mean that more IW and IP officers are not needed. They are needed. They need more than what they are getting from the DCO process.

The other thing to keep in mind about going to Intel first is that you would be re-designating to another designator within the IDC, which makes it more likely that you will succeed in the process.

If this is your course of action, I would highly recommend keeping your intentions to yourself until you earn your 9600 (Basic Intel qualification) and/or your Intel PQS. I would also recommend submitting your package before you make O3.

Below are the steps from the source and the sample letter is attached.

For redesignation to 18XX, you will need to submit a redesignation package per BUPERSINST 1001.39F (see template attached). Applications for the 18XX designator must be forwarded to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-911) via (1) the applicant's current unit CO, and (2) Information Dominance Corps (IDC) Region Commander/IDC Region Officer-in-Charge. To apply, an officer must meet the minimum eligibility requirements outlined in MILPERSMAN 1212-010. These requirements must be certified by the local IDC OIC via an interview and endorsement letter. IDC OICs are in the redesignation process for an endorsement for the following purposes: Verify basic eligibility; Conduct an SSBI/pre-screening eligibility interview; Substantive assessment of the candidate's potential for success and general competitiveness for promotion; and ensure each candidate meets minimum physical fitness and height/weight standards, has not failed to select in their current grade, and is not likely to fail to select before the completion of COD (2 X FOS will not be approved).

Format for requesting a redesignation can also be found in Chapter 9, Enclosure (1) of BUPERSINT 1001.39F. The IDC OIC endorsement will be forwarded with candidate's package directly to PERS-911. Once PERS-911 receives, they forward to the SELRES Officer Community Manager who will look at the package from a RC perspective. If there are no manpower issues, the application is forwarded to the IDC Officer Community Manager for an approval/disapproval recommendation. Once an endorsement is provided, it is forwarded back to PERS-911 for processing.

The redesignation process is unlike the AC lateral transfer process. RC redesignation is continuous year round and does not culminate in a formalized board action. Once the candidate completes the steps above with the appropriate endorsements, the package can be forwarded to PERS-911 for a decision. The entire process upon receipt is 3-4 weeks to receive a response.

Attachments

• Change of Designator Request 18XX.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 2

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am entertaining the idea of taking orders to DC for a few months, specifically ONI to support Senior Intel O's. Can an Intel OR, let me know if the board would recognize this as being committed and increase my chances for selection?
Are you currently assigned to a unit in the DC IDC region? If so then you are applying for DCO via the DC IDC board which is notoriously difficult, even for the most uber-qualified individuals. It is only difficult because of the number of highly qualified applicants who live in DC and who are applying in DC.

If this is the case, then I would highly recommend transferring to a unit in another IDC region and then reapplying for DCO via that region.

P3toP8

Are you currently assigned to a unit in the DC IDC region? If so then you are applying for DCO via the DC IDC board which is notoriously difficult, even for the most uber-qualified individuals. It is only difficult because of the number of highly qualified applicants who live in DC and who are applying in DC.

If this is the case, then I would highly recommend transferring to a unit in another IDC region and then reapplying for DCO via that region.

No, I am applying through a NOSC in FL. I'm an AWO in the reserves. I figured if I took some AD orders for a few months, it would help show my commitment IDC in becoming an Intel O. I don't really know what else I can do to increase my chances.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
No, I am applying through a NOSC in FL. I'm an AWO in the reserves. I figured if I took some AD orders for a few months, it would help show my commitment IDC in becoming an Intel O. I don't really know what else I can do to increase my chances.
Thanks. Frustrating, indeed. I had to go through two boards myself. Funny that you and I have the same degree.

Whether you drill out of Miami or JAX it would be worth your time to call up the IDC SE OIC in JAX and to schedule a meeting with him. The purpose of which would be to go over your package and to discuss your idea of going on orders. If you want his contact info, PM me.

IMHO, going on ADT/ADSW orders to specifically support Intel would surely help, especially if you can come off of the orders with an excellent eval as well as a LOR from the SEL and CO of the unit/command that you are supporting.

What feedback did you receive from the OIC after you received word that you were not selected? There should have been some type of feedback. For example, when I was not selected the first time, the feedback was for me to get two more interviews and to re-apply. This was, I suspect, because I had a long break in service and did not have many enlisted evals to submit with my package. Getting those additional interviews are what tipped the scale for me.

What, if anything, did the OIC say about your competitiveness for IW as it relates to your electronic warfare background? Just a thought.

exNavyOffRec

To the IW and IP non-selects: you may wish to consider applying for INTEL first. Once you are in and once you have your 9600 (Basic Intel qual) and/or your Intel PQS completed, submit a re-designation package.

Given the direction for tech degrees for Intel this is some good advice.

exNavyOffRec

Whether you drill out of Miami or JAX it would be worth your time to call up the IDC SE OIC in JAX and to schedule a meeting with him. The purpose of which would be to go over your package and to discuss your idea of going on orders. If you want his contact info, PM me.

This might be viewed as a conflict of interest since the IDC OIC has to sit on the board and evaluate the potential candidates that are in his region.

I am sure there are others that could do the same thing that wouldn't be put in this situation.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
This might be viewed as a conflict of interest since the IDC OIC has to sit on the board and evaluate the potential candidates that are in his region.
Potentially, however, it never hurts to ask. I'm sure that if the OIC took issue that he would state as such. I'm sure some level of conversation could be had without crossing any lines.