• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy 11 sta 21 applicants

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
From what I have seen, the boards like to see technical classes as well as math and physics.

With your current situation you can't use tuition assistance since you are in a duty under instruction status. I haven't been on a sub or any ship for that matter so I can't give you much insight but I am sure there is an NCPACE program onboard. NCPACE courses have by far been the easiest classes I have taken..and I have taken a lot with different colleges. If you are dedicated and good at managing your time these are great for picking up some credit.

Don't discount your other resources such as CLEP and DSST tests as well. I have gained 27 credits from taking tests on subjects that I knew very little or nothing about. The only penalty if you fail is you can't take the same test for 6 months.

If you have any specific questions feel free to give me a holler. I have submitted one package each year for the three years I have been in. Selected as an alternate twice so I must be doing something right.. Maybe if I had some math or physics classes under my belt ;)

kmhmak

Hello All,

I know theres a thread somewhere that had a whole bunch of personal statements from people who have been accepted in previous cycles, but I seem to have lost it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where the statements of people who have been accepted are at? Or for anyone who's been accepted and still has a copy, PM it to me?

I only have 2 PRT's on record right now, one being a Sat High and the most recent being a Good-Low. As I was wrapped up in academics and work I failed to find enough time to PT. Now that I have things under control i've improved vastly since my last PRT -- Should I wait for the next PRT cycle to route my package up?
[\QUOTE]

First off, you should write your own personal statement then have anyone and everyone in your chain of command and around review it. PM me it and I will too.

Second, better get on that PT as the newest instruction lists a Good High as the minimum score. If you can't balance work and PT you may want to rethink applying as college life isn't easy and Med Core is going to make it harder.

Cleonard19

Contributor
I'm a Nuke ET drop and currently at Basic Enlisted Submarine School. Afterwards I move on to FT A-School. I expect to receive orders to my first submarine absolutely no later than December. I know I need to be qualified before I can submit my package, but would it be wise for me to get everything together now, with exception to my CO's recommendation of course?

They're going to want a pretty good reason for that part, just a heads up.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Would you mind telling me what you feel gave you the edge over other applicants?

And I have most of my gen ed credits completed because I have about a year and a half of previous college. With that in mind, do you have any suggestions on classes I should try to find online that could help me?

From my experience, there isn't a magic formula to fit the "mold". The applicants that I was accepted with came from many different backgrounds and got accepted in different ways. I really can't say anything "gave me an edge" over someone else necessarily. Everyone's situation is different. How do you quantify who has an edge in selection between someone who was on shore duty and taking 12 credit hours a semester against someone else who went IA to Iraq and busted their butt, but couldn't take any college classes. Do you see what I mean? I applied 3 times before I was accepted. On the years I didn't make it, I continued to work hard, take classes, and didn't give up. Don't get discouraged if you don't make it, just keep improving and you'll get there. My advice would be to do your best wherever you are and try to be the most well rounded you can (good eval, PRT, volunteer, etc). A few specifics would be to continue to perform your best at work, write a genuine and honest personal statement (using proper English spelling and grammar), get an AA or a degree plan from a University showing how far you have progressed towards getting your Bachelors, any community service or volunteering you have done in the past few years (you could include H.S. since you haven't been in the Navy that long), and do well on your boards. Your personal statement is a good place to address your weak points too. It will give the boards more time to get to know the good points about you instead of focusing on your shortcomings.

As far as finding classes online, it kind of depends on what you want a degree in. Old Dominion University has a few different degrees you can work on through NCPACE. Depending on your rate, you can get a lot of credits towards a Bachelors and work on your upper level courses in a self paced format while you're working/deployed. I know there are other schools out there with similar degrees, I just mentioned ODU because that's where I went and it worked well for my situation.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Thank you for the advice. I actually want to become a pilot. Would you mind telling me what you feel gave you the edge over other applicants?

And I have most of my gen ed credits completed because I have about a year and a half of previous college. With that in mind, do you have any suggestions on classes I should try to find online that could help me?

I got picked up my first time with no college, so any classes you can knock out can't hurt you. Make sure the classes you take transfer to the college you plan on attending and align with your intended major. If you want to be a pilot, do well in math and science and score high on the ASTB, there is plenty of ASTB gouge on this website. Remember that most guys don't fly jets. Think about that when your board members ask you what platform you want and why. Also, remember that you are going to be a Naval Officer first and a pilot second, so you are going to get the "What if you end up as a SWO?" question too.

Stazz

First package for FY-11

I'm an AT2 putting in my first package for Pilot/Core option. Below is what I have so far in my package. Please critique and provide insight for those of you that have been selected or been around the block a few times.

Evals: 3.0(a-school) 3.14 (established PMA) 3.5, 3.43. only 4 evals, I've only been in for 3.5 years, don't
represent an accurate picture of my performance
ACT: Eng 22/Math 24 (waiting on SAT results)
HS Transcripts: 3.7/3.8 gpa
College Transcripts 65 credits (enrolled in two classes, 3.5+gpa)
SMART
PRIMS: Good Medium, Good High, Good Medium
ASTB: AQR 6; PFAR 6; FOFAR 5; OAR 55
Letter of Recommendation

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm an AT2 putting in my first package for Pilot/Core option. Below is what I have so far in my package. Please critique and provide insight for those of you that have been selected or been around the block a few times.

Evals: 3.0(a-school) 3.14 (established PMA) 3.5, 3.43. only 4 evals, I've only been in for 3.5 years, don't
SMART
Letter of Recommendation

PMA doesn't really represent your evals as well as P, MP, EP...different senior raters have different averages. The important thing is to be above that average. The test scores and stuff are checks in the block. The most important components of your package are your personal letter, CO's recommendation, and interview write-ups.

Reactions: Van

LAX89

SMART
Letter of Recommendation

AT2,

I'de take a look at the new instruction (sorry if you already know this) - but they changed the PRT requirments and you now have to have a minimum good high to meet the basic qualifications. I'de have to go back and look because I do not know how it reads, but I am pretty sure your most recent PRT needs to be a good high. You've done it before by your scores so I am sure you can do it again.

Stazz

The statement reads that you have to have passed a prt within the last year with a good high or better. So my interpretation is that one of the three must be a good high. I know on my next PRT will be better, the weather is warming up so I'll be able to breathe during the run. That and the PRT coordinator is an LDO former AT so he has taken special interest in my package and is arranging for a special prt to submit to have better results to turn in.

Surfer727

I would interpret that as: You need to have scored at least GOOD HIGH on your last PRT. IF your previous PRT score was slightly less than a GOOD HIGH, then thats actually OK. The board is big on constant progression. Whether it be your EVALs, PRTs, education, or promotions - you need to be making movement in the forward direction. The officers reviewing your package only have paperwork in front of them, and stats on your career thus far. Scores that progressively increase in cunjunction with ascendance through the ranks illustrates an individual who is actively attempting to achieve his/her true potential (so to speak). So why not give them a shot at a commission? I'll get off my soapbox now...

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
PMA doesn't really represent your evals as well as P, MP, EP...different senior raters have different averages. The important thing is to be above that average. The test scores and stuff are checks in the block. The most important components of your package are your personal letter, CO's recommendation, and interview write-ups.

+1

This is spot on.

Beefalo

Its interesting that for OCS the PRT minimum is good low vice good high but i chalk it up to sta-21 being more compeititive so they needed to set the bar higher. Im also looking at finishing my degree on shore duty only need 10 more classes in a 3 year period so OCS maybe another option down the road. Something to consider for you guys who already have AA degrees and the CWO flying program.

eugenew

Hey everyone, Im here applying for the first time. Just wanted to know if anyone had extra info on the CEC program?

sweetnuts

You will put in a wish list just like the rest of the MIDN in the unit. Hopefully, if your academics are good and your aptitude is high, you will get selected for your first choice. Beware that the needs of the Navy (read Nuke community) are going to be met each year.

Service selection is very competitive among STA-21 Core options as you are only competing against other STA-21 Core options. I think last year they only selected two pilots and maybe six NFO's, out of about 40 Core options. I know of two people with competitive grades/aptitude/etc that didn't get their first choice. If you want to be a pilot, put in for the pilot option. There are no guarantees with the Core option when it comes to service selection*, no matter how good your grades/aptitude/etc.

*unless you want to be a nuke or a swo