• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy 11 sta 21 applicants

advantix00

I applied to the Special Warfare option this year. Anyone know of any post or information on SEALs that have applied? I have not even heard of anyone else submitting for this program, but maybe some of you have seen something I have not found. Thanks.

i can tell you that from looking at past results, quota's, and selections they choose only 1 every year. i dont know how many apply though. of course there is always core too.

adaptive

I appreciate the response Advantix. However, I'm not sure which results you have seen for the spec war billets, as this is not what I have seen. Can you provide a link or a reference to where your information was found. I believe what you may be seeing is the number who actually applied. It is not a terribly popular program in our community. In the powerpoint that was distributed earlier this year, it appeared they were having trouble filling all the billets (SEALs specifically)they had open. And from the research I have done, that seems to be the standard over the last 5 years or so. I would be willing to bet that the years they chose only one, only one applied, or only one's package qualified to even be reviewed. But who knows... sometimes those billeting results are confusing when the tables don't have amplifying information available, and I may be mixed up myself.

kekio86

One other thing I would like to interject. I understand everyone here wants to get selected. While I think some people’s intentions may be nobler than others, we all need to maintain a certain level of professionalism.

I watched some of our conversations on this forum get “nasty” and people were short with each other last year. We are all trying to be an Officer. As an Officer we are the base line for behavior in OUR Navy. Being overly critical, having a sharp tongue or just plain rude does not emulate the behavior or leadership we expect from our Officers. Not to mention, when we get into those ranks we will see that behavior like that does nothing to help us LEAD and INSPIRE our sailors and that is what we are suppose to do as an Officer.

These are just a few thoughts of mine and I hope no one takes these as me trying to be rude. I just think we need to try and emulate the behavior of what we want to become.

Agree

kekio86

Kekio,

It is written in the STA-21 instruction that if you have not executed transfer orders by the time the Board convenes then we have to wait till the results come out. I am sure part of this is so the Navy doesn't waste money transferring sailors that are getting picked up for STA-21. This year I transferred from my command on the 5th of June. My ESO was not sure if I should transfer or if I should have to wait till the results come out. Needless to say my previous ESO said I am transferring before packages are even due and that little rule doesn't apply to me.

You on the other hand will not be allowed to transfer till the results come out. You need to sell to your command to make you part of the stay back crew. You will also need your skipper to get in contact with your detailer and tell him that you are applying for STA-21 and your orders will be in abeyance (I think that is how you spell it). You shouldn't be able to lose your orders and once the results come out (if they are unfortunately not in your favor) you should be able to get an order mod so you can take your transfer leave and such. If they come out in your favor then you will be staying at your command till some time next spring and will need to get accepted to your college and get everything else done that goes along with that.

Another little sidebar, my command mailed my package off on the 10th of June. One week later my package had been received and processed by STA-21. So if anyone is listening, GET YOUR PACKAGES IN EARLY NEXT YEAR. This is my 3rd time and that is the quickest turn around not to mention the easiest to put together.

cbaker

I've been on my command for 5 years, and they want me to go on deployment(as I know the ins and outs of my job). I called STA-21 and asked them about my transfering situation. They said that they are ok with me transfering as long as I keep them informed with my new command's address. I also spoke directly to my detailer, and he said that there is no problem in their part either. I decided that I am going to transfer, I've been here too long and besides, its not going to affect my package. I am also not wasting any navy money either because I dont start recruiting school until later in October and by then the results would be out.

kekio86

So... who has completed the medical screening? I want to have it ready by the time the results come out, but I've been super busy in my command...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I appreciate the response Advantix. However, I'm not sure which results you have seen for the spec war billets, as this is not what I have seen. Can you provide a link or a reference to where your information was found. I believe what you may be seeing is the number who actually applied. It is not a terribly popular program in our community. In the powerpoint that was distributed earlier this year, it appeared they were having trouble filling all the billets (SEALs specifically)they had open. And from the research I have done, that seems to be the standard over the last 5 years or so. I would be willing to bet that the years they chose only one, only one applied, or only one's package qualified to even be reviewed. But who knows... sometimes those billeting results are confusing when the tables don't have amplifying information available, and I may be mixed up myself.

There were 5 SEALs in my yeargroup (FY08). Two from 10, two from 3 (one was picked up as an alternate), and 1 from SDV 1. There were also three SEALs at ODU when I got there in Fall 2008, but there aren't any right now. I don't know how many apply, but I was under the impression that they have a pretty high selection rate.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
i can tell you that from looking at past results, quota's, and selections they choose only 1 every year. i dont know how many apply though. of course there is always core too.

There were at least 3 seals in my year group (FY09). Two in my BOOST/NSI class and I think one who only did NSI. So between wlawr005's post about 5 in FY08 and the 3 from FY09, your resources might not the best concerning the "1 every year".

IrishSailor

6th year's a charm?
Today is the 65th anniversary of the Japanese surrender to the United States on board the mighty battleship USS Missouri. If battleships were still around, would it change your perspective on going SWO?

Oh yeah, that would be awesome! Of course a nuke powered battleship would be the poo!

adaptive

Those are some numbers more realistic to what I had seen. I am unaware of any besides myself applying this year however, but my scope into the other coast is somewhat limited. I haven't heard of any SDV guys either, but its been a few years since I was at that team, and even then, it was still east coast. I'll be going to ODU too. It is just too easy, and allow maintenance of the quals needed to keep all our special pays. But thats probably enough on that, i realize i am a small portion of the people on here, and don't wish to high-jack the thread. I would like to see a nuke battleship... but not if i had to serve on it. Good luck everyone.

OC/EMC

I've been on my command for 5 years, and they want me to go on deployment(as I know the ins and outs of my job). I called STA-21 and asked them about my transfering situation. They said that they are ok with me transfering as long as I keep them informed with my new command's address. I also spoke directly to my detailer, and he said that there is no problem in their part either. I decided that I am going to transfer, I've been here too long and besides, its not going to affect my package. I am also not wasting any navy money either because I dont start recruiting school until later in October and by then the results would be out.

Hahahahaha......never assume! Semper Gumbi!

cbaker

Kekio,

Cool, well at least they will let you transfer and don't forget last year the results didn't come out till the 14th of November.

I wish you the best of luck with the program, which designator are you applying for? Also, I completed a recruiting tour, where are you going?

TTUL,
cbaker

kekio86

Kekio,

Cool, well at least they will let you transfer and don't forget last year the results didn't come out till the 14th of November.

I wish you the best of luck with the program, which designator are you applying for? Also, I completed a recruiting tour, where are you going?

TTUL,
cbaker

Thanks, I am applying for SWO/CORE Option. I am going to recruit in the Orlando,FL area. I dont know what to expect. Did you have time to complete college courses?

cbaker

Thanks, I am applying for SWO/CORE Option. I am going to recruit in the Orlando,FL area. I dont know what to expect. Did you have time to complete college courses?

You should have time to take college courses.

I was a recruiter from 2003-2007 and during that time we needed to put two people per month (PPM) into the Navy. Now I am getting told if they put one PPM you are good. While I was recruiting I took internet courses and still got "A's" and "B's". If you are smart, you will find a close community college and take one or two classes a week. Do it in uniform and when these kids want to give you some smart a** comment like I don't want to join tell them you aren't there to recruit, you are there to get your college education. I guarantee their interest will spike and they will start coming to see you.

While I was recruiting the statistics showed that of the kids that went to community colleges after hight school, ¼ of them dropped out after the first semester. That is a whole lot of kids that you may be able to put into the Navy. Think about it.

chk13

Today at work (NATTC Pensacola) I was told to let my all my students know they could not park across the street near a particular building. I had no problem telling my students but was curious on why the change. To my surprise I found out that the STA-21 in-brief will be starting there and they needed to make sure the parking spots were available for the board members. I do not know if this is true or not but if it is that makes my attempt to not have the program on my mind 24/7 even more difficult (nearly impossible).

thought I would share my pain...lol