• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future Weapons

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sometimes the thing that might have a codeword doesn't, as well. It's just refered to as a number (ie Op-Plan 4532334....yes, I made that up). Sometimes even the number will be classified, then the number/name gets declas but the actual plan is still class. Necessary, but still silly at times.

My personal favorite is the TACAID, which is CONFIDENTIAL/FOREIGN. Unfortuantely, whoever edits it doesn't pay attention to what they're labeling because things like brevity codewords (which are UNCLASS) and even the temperature conversion chart are labled as "CONFIDENTIAL."

You've hit on a pet peeve of mine - idiots who get excited about brevity words as though they're classified. On the other hand, we should all rue the day when the terrorists learn to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. :eek: :rolleyes:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
slight jack - anyone ever see the SR-71 on the Intrepid in NY? It seemed a lot smaller than I imagined, but cool to look at.

I had the same reaction seeing the one at Huntsville. Impressive, but I agree, seemed smaller than depicted.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I know from working with those guys (B-2s) that you need to be read into several TS/SCI/SAP programs to even get close to the jets, let alone go flying. Just being a SEAL (junior enlisted one, at that) doesn't give you a reason to get the clearances. On the other hand, perhaps R Lee told the CO of the 509th Bomber Wing that he would gouge out his eyes and skull-fvck him if he didn't get a ride. :D

Depends on who you know. Dave North, former editor of AW&ST as well as former Naval Aviator, got one of the first non-USAF rides back in 1995 when he wrote a pilot report for the magazine (David M. North, “Control System Key to B-2 Flight Qualities”, Av. Wk & Space Tech, April 17, 1995, pp.46-55). Unfortunately there are no open source links to it, but it's a good read, and details some aspects of the B-2 that I haven't even heard the B-2 guys talk about. Put your local librarian to work and have her get it for you.

The Prowler community has had one exchange pilot with the B-2s; he can tell some funny stories....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on who you know. Dave North, former editor of AW&ST as well as former Naval Aviator, got one of the first non-USAF rides back in 1995 when he wrote a pilot report for the magazine (David M. North, “Control System Key to B-2 Flight Qualities”, Av. Wk & Space Tech, April 17, 1995, pp.46-55). Unfortunately there are no open source links to it, but it's a good read, and details some aspects of the B-2 that I haven't even heard the B-2 guys talk about. Put your local librarian to work and have her get it for you.

The Prowler community has had one exchange pilot with the B-2s; he can tell some funny stories....

Me and some other guys in PTI class got to fly their B-2 sim at Whiteman. These guys must have it drilled into them that their jet costs $7 billion (or whatever) because we get in and start yanking and banking around as if it were a fighter, stick shakers and all. These guys about had a heart attack. We had to remind them that it was a sim and that they ought to relax. :D

Brett

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Sims are definately more fun when your sponsor knows how to have a good time. I flew a prowler under Deception Pass (after I jettisoned all the stores). Then the XO showed me how to land on the boat...with just his left hand and sitting in ECMO1. :eek:

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Playing around in the TOFT at Lemoore, we were doing Air to air engagements against a middie who was sitting with the operator, controlling the adversary. I had just maneuvered onto the 6 of this SU-27, pulling my nose through 60 degrees and going into the vertical, about to get a guns kill when, all of a sudden, the flanker turns into a giant aircraft carrier flying above me. It was so shocking because the entire time I was so "in" to it I had forgotten that it was essentially a giant game. They called me "Booth" for shooting down the "Lincoln."

Good Times

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I've seen the "sled" at Seattle/Boeing Museum, Dulles, Eglin.....I thought it was a pretty hearty sized airplane...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
FMRAM....you should try it in the warpig doing 400 kia, ( goin under the pass ), then barrel rollin @ 2k..... if you do it right, your g meter shouldn't read over 2.5.... more of a trim drill, (did I just type that?) than anything

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FMRAM....you should try it in the warpig doing 400 kia, ( goin under the pass ), then barrel rollin @ 2k..... if you do it right, your g meter shouldn't read over 2.5.... more of a trim drill, (did I just type that?) than anything

Like you can get that POS up to 400 Kts. ;)

Brett

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
interesting...I've read some stuff trying to compare the two...arguing which one was better. I think I spent a good 30 minutes staring at that thing