• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future Weapons

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Gunny (Mail Call) has connections, a history, and "exposure". I would guess that factored into the equation on whether or not he could "fly" in the Air Force's finest ....

They do tend to be protective of their new and sometimes not-so-new hardware, however.

We were returning from the target to NAF Fallon when an SR-71 came up on guard with some kind of emergency .... he was hollering about what he'd need on the runway for fire and crash and what kind of security he'd want on the ramp.

All on 243.0 Guard, of course .... :)

As we came in and broke out of a 4-plane, we looked down and saw him entering the old transient ramp --- just where we were headed for --- GREAT --- an opportunity to see a real fire-breathing-spook airplane up close and personal !!!!

On shutting down, we all dismounted and strolled over to the BlackBird --- it was lookin' fine, by the way --- but the AF jock positively came unglued as we approached. He started jumping up and down (literally) and screaming about what sections of the UCMJ he'd charge us with if we came any closer. The guys was positively apoplectic by now.

Soooooooooooo ... we all went over to the "Bird" and hugged it, touched it, walked all around it, and one guy even took some pictures. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW SHARP THE LEADING EDGE OF THE FUSELAGE IS ... !!! The AF pilot now went absolutely berserk and basically had to be restrained from hurting himself. :eek:

The Navy ground crews just stood around and looked at him. Ahhhhhhhh .... NAF Fallon ... love the place. :)
sr71lb8.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know if anyone has seen or noticed this, but yesterday i watched part of the new future weapons show about the B-2, but the host mentioned he wouldn't be able to fly in it. He said something like, "Even though i was a Navy SEAL sniper, in the Navy SEALs, and love explosives, i am not allowed to fly in the B-2 because it was classified, even for a former Navy SEAL."
Do the producers bet him how many times he can say "Navy SEAL" in one paragraph? Is this like the Future Weapons meow game?

Edit: To go along with what Raptor said for the edification of the newbs, all info in DoD is either Unclassified, Secret or Top Secret. Nothing is classified higher than Top Secret. But just because you're secret cleared doesn't mean you are cleared for everything at that level. You need to sign a nondisclosure agreement and have a valid need to know.

The rest of the abbreviations refer to special handling instructions. So you might see a document marked just SECRET, whereas SECRET//NOFORN means the info is not just Secret but not releasable to anyone not American. You may also see something like SECRET//REL TO GBR, AUS, NZ or somesuch which means released to Britain, Australia and New Zealand. IIRC, I believe WNINTEL isn't used anymore.

Rossi

The Gunny (Mail Call) has connections, a history, and "exposure". I would guess that factored into the equation on whether or not he could "fly" in the Air Force's finest ....

They do tend to be protective of their new and sometimes not-so-new hardware, however.

We were returning from the target to NAF Fallon when an SR-71 came up on guard with some kind of emergency .... he was hollering about what he'd need on the runway for fire and crash and what kind of security he'd want on the ramp.

All on 243.0 Guard, of course .... :)

As we came in and broke out of a 4-plane, we looked down and saw him entering the old transient ramp --- just where we were headed for --- GREAT --- an opportunity to see a real fire-breathing-spook airplane up close and personal !!!!

On shutting down, we all dismounted and strolled over to the BlackBird --- it was lookin' fine, by the way --- but the AF jock positively came unglued as we approached. He started jumping up and down (literally) and screaming about what sections of the UCMJ he'd charge us with if we came any closer. The guys was positively apoplectic by now.

Soooooooooooo ... we all went over to the "Bird" and hugged it, touched it, walked all around it, and one guy even took some pictures. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW SHARP THE LEADING EDGE OF THE FUSELAGE IS ... !!! The AF pilot now went absolutely berserk and basically had to be restrained from hurting himself. :eek:

The Navy ground crews just stood around and looked at him. Ahhhhhhhh .... NAF Fallon ... love the place. :)
sr71lb8.jpg

A4s, you have no idea how happy that story just made me. A few years ago, im gonna say 2001, i met a retired SR-71 Jock at an airshow. He was talking to me and a few other people about his days testing/flying the Black Bird, and one of his stories was about how he had to divert to a naval air station in Nevada... It took me a few minutes to remember his story and connect the dots, but i can't stop laughing now.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Methinks the chair force either a) likes Marines more than Navy guys, or b) also thinks this Navy SEAL character is a tool and the Gunny is worthy of everything they can spare for him.

I don't know for sure why he didn't get the ride but I can assure you that it isn't option a. ;)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
....AF jock positively came unglued as we approached... started jumping up and down... screaming about what sections of the UCMJ he'd charge us with if we came any closer...

Soooooooooooo ... we all went over to the "Bird" and hugged it, touched it, walked all around it, and one guy even took some pictures.

Great. F'ing. Story.

Too bad you have no pics of said pilot with the veins poppin' out of his forehead.

Coota0

None
Edit: To go along with what Raptor said for the edification of the newbs, all info in DoD is either Unclassified, Secret or Top Secret. Nothing is classified higher than Top Secret. But just because you're secret cleared doesn't mean you are cleared for everything at that level. You need to sign a nondisclosure agreement and have a valid need to know.

The rest of the abbreviations refer to special handling instructions. So you might see a document marked just SECRET, whereas SECRET//NOFORN means the info is not just Secret but not releasable to anyone not American. You may also see something like SECRET//REL TO GBR, AUS, NZ or somesuch which means released to Britain, Australia and New Zealand. IIRC, I believe WNINTEL isn't used anymore.

Is there a Top Secret: code word designation? You would have to have top secret clearence and code word clearence.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there a Top Secret: code word designation? You would have to have top secret clearence and code word clearence.
Flash or Brett may be able to elucidate but I believe that is a TS//SCI or SAP designation. My TS paperwork is still percolating through the bureaucracy so I haven't really even been briefed on the details of how to mark TS stuff, let alone anything I can't talk about (well TS anyway).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
the above list left a couple of things out: For Official Use Only-not classified but not to be left out in town either. Confidential then Secret then Top Secret and the various code words associated with whatever it involves.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash or Brett may be able to elucidate but I believe that is a TS//SCI or SAP designation. My TS paperwork is still percolating through the bureaucracy so I haven't really even been briefed on the details of how to mark TS stuff, let alone anything I can't talk about (well TS anyway).

Programs that are compartmented have codewords, but not everything TS is compartmented. Sometimes the codewords are used as an UNCLASS way to refer to a particular program, other times, the codeword itself may be classified. It all just depends. When one is read in to a program, all the pertinent details will be explained.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Programs that are compartmented have codewords, but not everything TS is compartmented. Sometimes the codewords are used as an UNCLASS way to refer to a particular program, other times, the codeword itself may be classified. It all just depends. When one is read in to a program, all the pertinent details will be explained.

Brett

Sometimes the thing that might have a codeword doesn't, as well. It's just refered to as a number (ie Op-Plan 4532334....yes, I made that up). Sometimes even the number will be classified, then the number/name gets declas but the actual plan is still class. Necessary, but still silly at times.

My personal favorite is the TACAID, which is CONFIDENTIAL/FOREIGN. Unfortuantely, whoever edits it doesn't pay attention to what they're labeling because things like brevity codewords (which are UNCLASS) and even the temperature conversion chart are labled as "CONFIDENTIAL."