• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For You AF VT-3 Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLER

Venom-0 said:
Sorry man, one of my friends (AF Guy) graduated Moody in April 2004. Don't know where he is right now though. I know he got T-1's out of there but he wanted to fly the C-17 I think. I don't think I know any AF dudes currently attending Moody.

No problem man. I've got a contact at Dyess (BONE driver) who knows of a few AF Studs at Moody right now. I just sent him an e-mail so hopefully I'll be hearing back from him soon.

I'll let you know what I find out

THRILLER

THRILLER

Venom,

While I'm waiting to hear back from the BONE guy...

So forgive me for changing the subject a little bit. How is Whiting base housing? I don't know if you're single, but my wife and I are looking into staying on base for Primary (if I go the Whiting route). I've looked on the internet and have only come across a few pictures.

Have you seen the base housing for O-1's?

THRILLER

Chubby

Whiting Pines is nice. I have a buddy who lives there with his wife and they seem to like it. They aren't onboard NAS Whiting Field, they are maybe 4 or 5 miles South, but thats not a big deal. You may want to call ahead and find out about availability because I heard from the front desk of the Q that they were going to start doubling up the single studs in houses in Whiting Pines to clear out the Q for further renovations. Just a thought.

THRILLER

Chubby said:
Whiting Pines is nice. I have a buddy who lives there with his wife and they seem to like it. They aren't onboard NAS Whiting Field, they are maybe 4 or 5 miles South, but thats not a big deal. You may want to call ahead and find out about availability because I heard from the front desk of the Q that they were going to start doubling up the single studs in houses in Whiting Pines to clear out the Q for further renovations. Just a thought.

Chubby,

I called Whiting Housing a few weeks ago and they said that we shouldn't have a problem getting into a base house. I've never been to a Naval base and was wondering if anyone has seen the housing. Is it decent...and more importantly, is it worth us loosing our BAH over? :)

THRILLER

Chubby

It's all relative man, I've only been around Naval bases so I don't know whether or not it is up to your standards or comperable to Air Force housing. Is it nice? Yeah, but it is government housing. Is it worth losing BAH for? Maybe. It really depends on what you are looking personally. In the end, the only way to make an educated decision is to trek on over here on househunting leave when you get commissioned and take a look at the local area. There are pleanty of houses to rent or buy, not quite sure what the market is like for purchases because I'm renting. Either way, I think it would be well worth the time and effort to go and look around for yourself.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
Thriller;
I have never been to Whiting before. I am at Pensacola NAS (API). I know that if you go to Moody, there won't be any base housing but you can rent a pretty decent house near the base for around $600/month. A Luxury apartment in Valdosta will run you around the same 600-650 for 1-2 bedroom. Dammit, let me get back to studying. I've been taking FRR for granted so far but I think I should start studying for it. Should'nt be too bad though....Atleast I hope.

THRILLER

Venom-0 said:
Thriller;
I have never been to Whiting before. I am at Pensacola NAS (API). I know that if you go to Moody, there won't be any base housing but you can rent a pretty decent house near the base for around $600/month. A Luxury apartment in Valdosta will run you around the same 600-650 for 1-2 bedroom. Dammit, let me get back to studying. I've been taking FRR for granted so far but I think I should start studying for it. Should'nt be too bad though....Atleast I hope.

:D

Ya bro, you better hit the books. The hardest part is turning off the CPU. Trust me...I know. Just ask my wife...

PEACE man, hopefully I'll catch you online tomorrow. In the meantime, study hard brother.

THRILLER

THRILLER

Chubby said:
It's all relative man, I've only been around Naval bases so I don't know whether or not it is up to your standards or comperable to Air Force housing. Is it nice? Yeah, but it is government housing. Is it worth losing BAH for? Maybe. It really depends on what you are looking personally. In the end, the only way to make an educated decision is to trek on over here on househunting leave when you get commissioned and take a look at the local area. There are pleanty of houses to rent or buy, not quite sure what the market is like for purchases because I'm renting. Either way, I think it would be well worth the time and effort to go and look around for yourself.

Chubby, good point.

We are going to try and head out that way this summer. I'm from Cocoa Beach and have some family out there. We'll try to hit up Whiting for a day when while we are there.

THRILLER

vvmountainvv

Thrill-

I have a friend in HT's who lives at Whiting Pines with his wife, i went over there last week and they are nice little places. They aren't exactly brand new, but they are nice. Small, yes, but it is a quiet little place. Plus while i was over there another Lt dropped by to get some gouge and ask for some study help...so you always have people around to get gouge from and what not. And i would guess your wife would have other wives to hang out with and get info from. It's probably the best housing that close to base...about 10-15 minutes from driveway to parking spot at the VT.

so there is a little more info to muddy up your decision making process with. have a good Memorial Day.

S/F

PS. also while i was over there we walked about 300 yards to the little mini mart they have in the neighborhood...that and on base are the only places in Santa Rosa county you can buy beer on sundays and get the "hard spirits" at...which you will be in need of after a week of flying.

THRILLER

Mountain,

From what I've heard, the base is in the process of renovating the houses in Whiting Pines. Have you seen any of this new construction?

THRILLER

rare21

pilot
Contributor
last i heard the new construction was going to be made for the enlisted housing first. I dont know of any student officer housing that has been renovated. I'm in the pines right now and they're fine. if you're used to mansions and butlers you may not like it but otherwise it should be good to go. just remember there are cliques all around here and secrets dont stay secrets. the wives love to talk.

THRILLER

Rare21,

Thanks for clearing that up about the renovating process. I understand that we AF guys have to still go to API in Pensacola correct?

If so, I'm looking into Governor’s Gat Apartments (Basically between Pen and Whiting). My only question is that upon completing API, will I be able to move to on-base-housing at Whiting?

Will orders will change from Pensacola to Whinging. I'm just wondering if I will be able to fall under the Military Clause once I'm done with API.

Any thoughts?

THRILLER

rare21

pilot
Contributor
you should probably look into just getting a place at Whiting Pines while at API. my neighbor is an Air Force guy thats already started primary here. it seems like it would be much more of a hassle to move 20-30 miles away after 6 weeks. From the last i heard the military clause wont help you if you go to Whiting from API since its not a PCS move or something like that. And if you're going to API then you'll do it in Pensacola, thats the only place its offered.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The bad thing about Governor's Gate is that you can't pick your nextdoor neighbors. Imagine having to live near UINavy! But seriously, it's a good compromise between the southwest side (API) and the northwest trek (Whiting).

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
I lived a Gov's Gate during both API and Primary. It was a 35-40 minute drive up to Whiting. They won't let you out of the lease there if you're just changing from NAS P-cola to Whiting. Great place, though. It's nice to be in P-cola and a little closer to civilization during the week. Don't know where you're planning on ending up, but over three years later after living in Meridian the Lemoore, the drive sounds worth it to live in some sort of semi-prosperous place.

Its not just the gate that does this. Florida law dictates that one has to PCS 35 miles for the military clause to go into effect, so pretty much every place I looked at that is in between NASP and Whiting had the same policy.

I live at the gate and this was a question I had when i first got here. Appearently they will let you out of the lease, but it'll cost you two months rent and forfiture of your security deposit. There are a bunch of people here who make the commute all the time, and none of them seem to mind it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.