• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For You AF VT-3 Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLER

Got a question for you in reguards to T-38 Track Selection out of Whiting...

I'm commissioning next May and have been selected for pilot training (AFROTC). Right now I've been searching for information (both on baseops and this forum).

I'd greatly appriciate any of your input on the program. Soon, I will be sending my "wish-list" of UPT bases to AFPC and I'm considering Whiting as my #1 (if I don't go ENJJPT).

Any info on if Whiting is the best for T-38 tracks being handed out to AF guys?
Basically I'm looking for the base whith the greatest chance to go T-38s.

Peace,

THRILLER

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not AF, but was a VT-3 guy...most of the AF guys who wanted jets AND had the grades got them. I don't know if the AF guys have a jet grade cutoff, but I do know that it was easier to get AF jets than USN jets. I've never heard anyone say that -3 is the place to go to get jets, but the training environment is much different than an AF UPT squadron.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
is this the AF way of asking "what % get jets?"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or more precisely, "how can I game the system to get jets?"

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go Navy. Take VT-3. You will much appreciate the environment over the AF. If you don't believe us, you will the first day you are back in a AF squadron!

petescheu

Thriller-
Make sure you talk to some -38 and/or A/F jet dudes before you get all pumped up about that community. A/F jets is way different from the Navy. Basically it's one huge haze job all the way up until joinging your fleet squadron from what my friends who have gone through Phase III and IFF have told me. Not so much fun...

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
I had some college buds that got into ENJJPT. They said it wasn't too bad until they got to the F-16 RTU. The fun starts there. One of the guys (now an Eagle Driver out of Japan) went through the F-15C RTU at Tyndall and he said that was the worst experience of his life and he actually thought about dropping out of the program.
I don't know, I don't think it's too bad considering the rewards at the end.

THRILLER

Hey, thanks for the info guys.

We AFROTC cadets won't find out about ENJJPT until early this October. I commission in May06. As of right now, I want 38's. However, I understand that things can change with time. I'm just looking for the best path to set me up for a T-38 track.

My old man is a BONE driver and yesterday he called me and told me of a Captain (also a BONE driver) that is willing to talk to me about his experience at Whiting. From what I got out of the conversation with my pops, this guy recommends not going to Whiting. He said the training there was not as good as AF UPT. What he means by that...I have no clue.

Gentlemen, right now I'm pretty clueless about what to put down on the "wish list". Being Florida natives, I know my wife and I would enjoy Florida. However, I just want to make the right decision.

My worst fear about Whiting is that I will loose out on AF training methods and, upon track selecting, will be way behind the "power curve" with the rest of my peers.

Peace,

THRILLER

BTW-

Venom-0,
You hit the nail on the head. It is true what they say about AF IFF. A buddy of mine completed ENJJPT...got an F-15C (Tyndall)...went to IFF...hooked 4 rides and was terminated from the program.

Right now he has two choices. 1) Dispute it and take it up to the board for review (and risk loosing his wings) or 2) Accept it and be reprocessed for Bomber/Tanker/Airlift through AFPC. Needless to say, getting the AF wings is definitely the tip of the iceberg.

Pags

N/A
pilot
THRILLER said:
My worst fear about Whiting is that I will loose out on AF training methods and, upon track selecting, will be way behind the "power curve" with the rest of my peers.

After completion of Navy Primary, the AF guys who select T-38s all do a few flights that are called AFORMs. All the IPs in this block are AF guys, and the briefs and flights are there to get you up to speed for the T-38s.

THRILLER

Pags said:
After completion of Navy Primary, the AF guys who select T-38s all do a few flights that are called AFORMs. All the IPs in this block are AF guys, and the briefs and flights are there to get you up to speed for the T-38s.

Good info.

However, after spending months at primary undergoing the NAVY way of training, do most AF guys who are out of Whiting experience "shell-shock" when getting accustomed to the AF ways of stand-ups and traditional UPT "hazing" [for lack of a better word :)]

Thanks again,

THRILLER

Pags

N/A
pilot
No, but they have to get used to not using head and box in a sentence.

I don't think I'd call it shell-shock. They find it difficult and different to the Navy way, but nothing impossible.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will let the studs currently in the training pipeline speak for their experiences. I would like to nip one perception in the bud right now, however. Navy flight training, SNA or SNFO, is not easier, self paced, or less intense due to it's scheduled length. I have gotten dozens of calls over the years from poor bastards that had just attrited from AF UPT. They were told by some AF officer too cowardly to tell the stud his life long dream was shot that the Navy might take them because Navy flight training was easier due to its slower pace and laid back instruction. Now, those of you currently in training, enlighten the wannabes and AF types how we do things and why. If anyone went to Vance or Randolph and have experienced Navy and AF, speak up.

THRILLER

Thanks for the input. Good points are being brought up that are worth noting about NAVY Flight Training and AF UPT.

Yes, I will be a commissioned officer in the USAF undergoing pilot training at the beginning of next year. However, I realize (whether NAVY or AF) that we are officers first; Some of us Aviators and some of us Aviators to be (me).

AF UPT and NAVY Flight Training are two different animals; both equally challenging and both deeply rooted in tradition. But let it be known, that no matter where I go or which training base I go to, this Air Force guy would be proud to fly with each of you.

You all have been very helpful to me and my wife and we appreciate all of your input. I joined this forum recently and have been a regular at baseops.net. However, it is safe to say that the "welcome" we have received thus far has been superior.

Thanks again gents!

PS- Wink,
Thanks for mustering up some support Sir.

PEACE

THRILLER

Status
Not open for further replies.