• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight time - we only need one thread at a time on this ...

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
E.M.T. time.....boys, grab your E-tools. Or I guess here it is your "e"-E-tools, with theis new internet thing and all.

.....time to train...haha...nice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just remember, when you get your wings out of T-45s... you have close to 300 hours. So does that brand new First Officer flying that CRJ. Except you've flown formation, dropped bombs, done ACM, landed on the boat, etc... interesting eh?

What I find even more amusing/interesting is how little you know at that point after doing all that stuff. Not a dig on jet guys, I'm talking about any average newly winged guy. All that training only allows you to sit at the adult table and coherrently speak the language. The RAG and fleet are two more huge brain busters to come. Personally I think that's pretty cool and just further backs up why "we" are better than your average First Officer out of E-R with 500 hours.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I find even more amusing/interesting is how little you know at that point after doing all that stuff. Not a dig on jet guys, I'm talking about any average newly winged guy. All that training only allows you to sit at the adult table and coherrently speak the language. The RAG and fleet are two more huge brain busters to come. Personally I think that's pretty cool and just further backs up why "we" are better than your average First Officer out of E-R with 500 hours.

Oh, I know. Don't know crap coming out of Advanced... but have done so much more than your average civilian pilot of similar hours.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Just remember, when you get your wings out of T-45s... you have close to 300 hours....
THAT's what I wanted to know ... how may hours do you guys come out with today???

.... We had @ 250 back-in-the-day ... no sims, all hard-fly, and with the addition of the gun pattern (10 hops).

Hmmmmmmmm .... interesting .... it just gets curiouser and curiouser ...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
THAT's what I wanted to know ... how may hours do you guys come out with today???

.... We had @ 250 back-in-the-day ... no sims, all hard-fly, and with the addition of the gun pattern (10 hops).

Hmmmmmmmm .... interesting .... it just gets curiouser and curiouser ...

I came out with exactly 246.8... some come out with more, some less... some were closer to 300, but the average was about 250-260 I think. That's not counting sim time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I came out with exactly 246.8... some come out with more, some less... some were closer to 300, but the average was about 250-260 I think. That's not counting sim time.

You could knock me over with a feather ... I figured you were closer to "300", like you stated. Well, then ... sounds like it's about the same --- except we had no sims ... and @ 12-15 hours in Guns.

And lots of .50 cal expended in those 12-15 hours .... :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could knock me over with a feather ... I figured you were closer to "300", like you stated. Well, then ... sounds like it's about the same --- except we had no sims ... and @ 12-15 hours in Guns.

And lots of .50 cal expended in those 12-15 hours .... :)

Yeah, no banner tow for us... and our gun is fake, makes a "gun" sound on the ICS... gay. Lots of bomb dropping though :)

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
300 hours flying a Cessna in VFR conditions is 300 hours of flight time... but it's still only flying a Cessna in VFR conditions. Military flying (as you know) is much different from civilian flying. Some adapt well to it... some don't.

Just remember, when you get your wings out of T-45s... you have close to 300 hours. So does that brand new First Officer flying that CRJ. Except you've flown formation, dropped bombs, done ACM, landed on the boat, etc... interesting eh?
But he is SOOOOO much better at working with autopilot, and if that doesn't count for something....

Seriously, I don't disagree with that, but lets face it, what is the average joe's goal in Primary? Probably to get jets, at least in the begning.
I think somone who has that extra time has a better grip on the whole flying thing in general, esp. flying on instruments (and how those instruments react). I know I didn't really get it--if I ever have...haha--until RI's in primary. And that person will spool up their grades perhaps a little faster than the exact same person (clone) with no flight time.

I know just doing IFS really helped me out a lot.

I totally agree about the military hours being very different. But it is hard to accrue military hours wihout first going through primary :icon_tong
So the next best thing seems to be civilian time.

I'm totally with you, too, about the adaption thing. Some people with 4 million hours aren't cut for the military version of aviation. But if some guy IS cut out for it I think having a little extra time before hand is going to be good.

Just my thought on it, not that it really matters.
Time to hit the bar...

gaetabob

pilot
they need to make that link a posty, or required viewing before you can register a user name...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Best of luck to you prior hours guys... The bubbas that showed up at API thinking they were **** hot were the ones that did the worst. Stay humble, and let the experience show once you get to primary.

API has what to do with actually flying?

If one is a competent pilot and has flight time, it should only help. If a stud can't make it through flight school with 300 flight hours, probably wasn't going to make it through anyway. Flying is flying, the basics of flying be it military or civilian is the same. A good pilot with plenty of priort time shouldn't have an problem at all with primary, it just isn't that difficult. I think when the strike guys get to the fun stuff and CQ is when the military flying steps it up a notch and it all equals out.

Junior

pilot
^^Agreed. Prior time probably won't help much with weps, onavs, or tacforms. But the basics of primary might be a little easier to absorb.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
"Gun" sound ... on the ICS .... kinder, gentler ...

I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ....

Headlines of the Future:

Naval Aviation budget cut, SNA's asked to yell "RATATATAT" to themselves when firing imaginary gun.