• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight time - we only need one thread at a time on this ...

IAV8

Well, i'm glad to see the views are mixed on this issue. I have about 150 hours and I'm working on my instrument right now. I've got some actual time and some simulated time so I can understand the difference between the two. In all honesty, I'm just hoping my time gets me accepted when I submit my application and my attitude is that I'm gonna be a "blank page" when I get to pilot training.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless you are applying for the Air Force, I wouldn't anticipate your flight time/ratings helping out with your Navy/Marine Corps application

IAV8

Hmm, why would that be? I talked with my OSO about my time and he said it should count pretty heavily... no?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It wont hurt but it wont outweigh things like academics, PFT and reccomendations.

IAV8

I see what you mean. Well, I took my first test back in May and I'm scheduled to retake it in October. I was waiting for my summer grades to be posted becaues I took 5 classes and got straight As... so that helped my GPA pretty nicely. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ummmmm .... because all the "locals" are Starbuck's whores ... ??? Did I get it right ??? Did I ... ??? Did I ... ???

There is only one:

large.jpg

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh their coffee is good to go. I'm just saying......in general.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I wish I would have had more flight time. I think it helps. The only people who I saw struggle who had a lot of flight time just had a very poor aptitude for flying. IE Having a lot of hours doesn';t mean they were any good during those hours.

This is impossible to prove, but I would guess that if you take some guy who is pretty good on his own, then somehow retroactively add a couple hundred hours, he would be even better.

Some will be good, some will be bad. The ones who are good at learning faster and have a good aptitude for flying will do better. And in my opin, those who have the above AND a lot of hours are even more set up for success.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish I would have had more flight time. I think it helps. The only people who I saw struggle who had a lot of flight time just had a very poor aptitude for flying. IE Having a lot of hours doesn';t mean they were any good during those hours.

300 hours flying a Cessna in VFR conditions is 300 hours of flight time... but it's still only flying a Cessna in VFR conditions. Military flying (as you know) is much different from civilian flying. Some adapt well to it... some don't.

Just remember, when you get your wings out of T-45s... you have close to 300 hours. So does that brand new First Officer flying that CRJ. Except you've flown formation, dropped bombs, done ACM, landed on the boat, etc... interesting eh?