• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My processor just e-mailed me and said that I have a tentative OCS date: 16AUG2015. Should receive the finsel in the next couple of business days.
April SNA select

Seems to be bad or distorted gouge. The OCS class load list just got sent to ORs and it only goes out to July. Late July/August OCS classes have yet to be filled yet.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Interesting purgatory situation here that I could use some input on...

My employer puts on a big conference every year in the first week of August and it just so happens that the location this year is Toronto, Canada. I received my pro-Y from the March IDC board so I'm not anticipating that I would ship to Newport by then. I just got word that I am scheduled to work at this event and our travel office requested that all staff start to make travel reservations in the next couple weeks before prices start to rise.

I looked through a bunch of posts here and did some searching but couldn't find any gouge on employer-sponsored international travel between getting a pro-rec and a finsel. My biggest concern is the impact, if any, on my security processing (if I do ship before August my employer would just cancel my reservation, so not concerned about the cost aspect).

Any insight would be much appreciated. I've already contacted my OR about it too.

USSMaximus

My OR told me that it is not a big deal as long as it wasn't to a place where our relations aren't so great. The security interviewers will just ask you about it in the interview to confirm. I would be potentially getting a secret clearance though. I don't know about top secret. I'm sure it's still fine.

KMC1020

Are we supposed to get interviewed for our secret clearance? My OR didn't say anything about that and it's been 2 months since I released my SF-86 and got fingerprinted

Anyone have any thoughts on doing some extended overseas traveling before OCS? I expect to get my FINSEL sometime in June after I officially graduate, then will likely have at least another couple months until my class date. I was planning to travel for 6-8 weeks in Southeast Asia with some friends, i.e. Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. Are there any compelling reasons not to do this? Would it interfere with my clearance or cause any other problems? My OR says it would probably be okay, as long as I didn't get injured. Also, I've already done my clearance interview, so I'm not sure if I would have to update the SF86 or what.

Larick

None
Contributor
Are we supposed to get interviewed for our secret clearance? My OR didn't say anything about that and it's been 2 months since I released my SF-86 and got fingerprinted
I never got interviewed for my secret clearance.

PettyOfficerCJ

Once you're in the service, you will be given plenty of chances to update information that would pertain to your clearance. You have to keep information current as long as you hold the clearance, so get used to it. Also, once you have the TS, you will still have to get specific clearance to work at certain places or certain missions. If you travel overseas before, be sure to have it well documented, including the names/info of at least one contact (someone who can vouch for you) everywhere you go. Oh, you should also keep your foreign contacts to a minimum. You will have to give a reason/explanation for why you have every single one of them. (This includes Facebook friends! FB only friendships won't influence your TS, but you will have to claim/explain those too if you end up working at certain places/missions.)

MGB001

Anyone have any thoughts on doing some extended overseas traveling before OCS? I expect to get my FINSEL sometime in June after I officially graduate, then will likely have at least another couple months until my class date. I was planning to travel for 6-8 weeks in Southeast Asia with some friends, i.e. Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. Are there any compelling reasons not to do this? Would it interfere with my clearance or cause any other problems? My OR says it would probably be okay, as long as I didn't get injured. Also, I've already done my clearance interview, so I'm not sure if I would have to update the SF86 or what.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm potentially interested in traveling for about 2 weeks to Hungary, Slovakia, and Czech Republic before I ship to OCS (if it fits into my schedule, obviously OCS is a priority over everything). But I don't want it to negatively impact the clearance process. In my case it would be solely for tourism and I have no family or previous ties to any of those countries. I haven't talked to my recruiter yet as it's just a tentative idea right now but they are all Schengen area, EU, and, most importantly, NATO countries. I don't know of course but I would think that would be much more acceptable than travel to many other countries of the world.

As far as travel to Southeast Asia, my biggest worry would be getting injured as many safety standards are obviously lower. I'm not sure if those could create political problems for you or not. If it wouldn't create trouble then it does certainly sound like a great experience.