• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

OKI_bound

Anyone have any thoughts on doing some extended overseas traveling before OCS? I expect to get my FINSEL sometime in June after I officially graduate, then will likely have at least another couple months until my class date. I was planning to travel for 6-8 weeks in Southeast Asia with some friends, i.e. Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. Are there any compelling reasons not to do this? Would it interfere with my clearance or cause any other problems? My OR says it would probably be okay, as long as I didn't get injured. Also, I've already done my clearance interview, so I'm not sure if I would have to update the SF86 or what.

Not getting injured would be the biggest worry, so if you follow through with your itinerary, just take that into consideration when you're contemplating riding the wild elephant or cuddling with tigers (yes, you can cuddle with Tigers in Thailand). As far as traveling, you're not commissioned as of yet, but I'd run your itinerary by your OR so he/she can check it agains the Foreign Clearance Guide website to check it against any restricted areas. That would be the safest approach.

When background investigations are conducted they're not so worried about the places you've traveled to as much as they are about ties you may have to those particular locations. People travel. That's a given. So long as you keep record of the dates and places visited to recall clearly when your re-investigation and/or questioned, you should be fine. You're PROREC-Y for SNA, so you'll most likely hold a TS/SCI at some point in the future, to which I'll revisit what I said about "keeping a record" of places visited.

ClassyGent23

Random question, do you think it is possible that the SWO selects from the February board may be getting their FINSEL soon? I saw that the first guy from March got his and he was a SWO select. I know there is lot to take into consideration, and I know some people have been waiting much longer than what I have...I'm just getting antsy.

Brett Collins

PRO-REC-Y 1830 - Mar 2015
Checking in late. I had to update some medical documentation for NRC a few weeks back, but I just recently got my "Physically Qualified" letter from NRC. Awaiting final vote and OCS dates for 1830. Will update when I find out more.

Bluecore

Random question, do you think it is possible that the SWO selects from the February board may be getting their FINSEL soon? I saw that the first guy from March got his and he was a SWO select. I know there is lot to take into consideration, and I know some people have been waiting much longer than what I have...I'm just getting antsy.

I think that guy was active duty wasn't he? I'm PRO REC Y from the October board and still around. One other guy from my NRD who was on here got a date but he was from the board before mine, even.

A vast majority of the SWOs who have been on this board and got dates had some sort of special circumstance, like being age critical, prior service, or on active duty.

mz247

Not getting injured would be the biggest worry, so if you follow through with your itinerary, just take that into consideration when you're contemplating riding the wild elephant or cuddling with tigers (yes, you can cuddle with Tigers in Thailand). As far as traveling, you're not commissioned as of yet, but I'd run your itinerary by your OR so he/she can check it agains the Foreign Clearance Guide website to check it against any restricted areas. That would be the safest approach.

When background investigations are conducted they're not so worried about the places you've traveled to as much as they are about ties you may have to those particular locations. People travel. That's a given. So long as you keep record of the dates and places visited to recall clearly when your re-investigation and/or questioned, you should be fine. You're PROREC-Y for SNA, so you'll most likely hold a TS/SCI at some point in the future, to which I'll revisit what I said about "keeping a record" of places visited.
Yo how's oki these days?
I'll be going back to revisit in June!
I suppose a lot of us will be doing a bit of overseas traveling in between pro-rec and OCS.

So you think as long as we run by where we're traveling to our recruiter we should be fine?

ClassyGent23

I think that guy was active duty wasn't he? I'm PRO REC Y from the October board and still around. One other guy from my NRD who was on here got a date but he was from the board before mine, even.

A vast majority of the SWOs who have been on this board and got dates had some sort of special circumstance, like being age critical, prior service, or on active duty.

Sorry he was from the April board: TheKelso. I dunno if he is prior or now.

Are you Pro rec SWO?

MemphisBell

pilot
I checked with my recruiter today to see if there were any updates with my Finsel letter. He told me that all it shows in the system that I will attend OCS in FY16 and that this meant that it could be as early as October 1, 2015 or as late at August 31, 2016. However, im wondering when it says FY16 if this really means that I will commission in FY16 so I could actually be attending classes starting in July. Maybe @NavyOffRec can comment on this!

HawaiiIDC

PRO-REC Y IP 1820
I checked with my recruiter today to see if there were any updates with my Finsel letter. He told me that all it shows in the system that I will attend OCS in FY16 and that this meant that it could be as early as October 1, 2015 or as late at August 31, 2016. However, im wondering when it says FY16 if this really means that I will commission in FY16 so I could actually be attending classes starting in July. Maybe @NavyOffRec can comment on this!
FY16 means you will commission in FY16, not go to OCS in FY16.