• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Faith

The Future of an Illusion is a good Freud text to read which directly discusses the philosophy of religion. However, it does rely on some aspects of psychology when discussing things like our need for a god as a father-figure. Freud is a great critic of religion, along with works like Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morality, Feuerbach's Essence of Christianity, and David Hume's Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
anyone see The Golden Compass or read Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials"? The yin to C.S. Lewis' yang for sure.... unfortunately, however, they cut pretty much all the anti-religious imagery from the movie.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Personally I never cared much for organized religion. Someone will always find a way to muck up the intent of the religion and twist it around. Its true for all religions. I was born and raised a Catholic but I never truely agreed with it. It was more of a way to please my parents than anything I truely believed. I was always the trouble maker at CCD asking questions no one wanted to answer. I've always enjoyed asking questions and that was the problem with Catholicism and most major religions is that questions aren't always viewed as productive (I don't mean to sound like I am attacking anyone, I'm just trying to say my view as best as I can describe it). Most religions require an element of faith which always came into my inner voice of "why?" I always drove my family crazy with questions as a child.

Anyhow I always thought I was an atheist until I started to discover a little bit about Buddhism. I found out about an interesting religion that was more a philosophy than a religion. It is about building a better life for yourself, not for some reward of heaven, but to become a better person and eventually become at peace with the universe. And the thing that stuck with me was that my teacher, Atisha, explained to me that questions are welcome. There is no reason to accept an answer unless you want to, unless you can prove it for yourself. No beliefs are required to start on the path, because that's all it is, a path, a journey to become a better person.

Anyhow, that's how best I can describe my feelings and motives before I head off to bed. There's so much more that turns around in my head that I could go on forever but as I have no idea if what I said has made any sense to anyone else I'll quit here.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You're going to have to delve a little deeper than the pop-science section of your Sunday paper to understand what we're talking about. If you want to be intellectually honest about it (and it is my expectation that you do), why don't you give my first linked book a read (it's very short), then we can discuss it on its merits. Understanding the psychological underpinnings of religious thought doesn't mean you have to give up being a Christian. Many enlightened theologians would suggest that it helps one appreciate one's own faith more thoroughly.

Brett
On his 150th birthday, the architect of therapeutic culture is an inescapable force. Why Freud--modern history's most debunked doctor--captivates us even now.

This is only in response to your statement "much of his work continues to be the foundation of modern psychology."

As to the psychological underpinnings of religious thought, I provided two scientific links (and that website has a whole lot more research on the subject) on structures in the brain, and the possible evolutionary functions of and relating to religious thought. From someone who wasn't so intellectually dishonest.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You're going to have to delve a little deeper than the pop-science section of your Sunday paper to understand what we're talking about. If you want to be intellectually honest about it (and it is my expectation that you do), why don't you give my first linked book a read (it's very short), then we can discuss it on its merits. Understanding the psychological underpinnings of religious thought doesn't mean you have to give up being a Christian. Many enlightened theologians would suggest that it helps one appreciate one's own faith more thoroughly.

Brett
And here is an online link to the book that you posted earlier if you don't mind reading it online.

http://www.bibliomania.com/1/7/68/2024/frameset.html

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And here is an online link to the book that you posted earlier if you don't mind reading it online.

http://www.bibliomania.com/1/7/68/2024/frameset.html

That ain't the right text. It's called "The Future of an Illusion."

This is only in response to your statement "much of his work continues to be the foundation of modern psychology."
This remains a true statement. I don't care how many Google hits you can find that say he's been discredited. Many of the concepts he developed evolved into the more scientifically based modern therapy approaches in use today. You can stop building your straw man now. ;)

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
That ain't the right text. It's called "The Future of an Illusion."

This remains a true statement. I don't care how many Google hits you can find that say he's been discredited. Many of the concepts he developed evolved into the more scientifically based modern therapy approaches in use today. You can stop building your straw man now. ;)

Brett
Such as? :D

Your link above shows the Ego and the Id.

If you are gonna say the unconscious mind, well Nicole Oresme had Freud beat by about 6 centuries...

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Dare to step in here? Dislike the "arguments", so typical. I like the one which something, forget who, said to the effect " .... I am catholic, while not perfect it works for me. However, I wanna take this opportunity to tell you how much I hate evangelicals :icon_rage:icon_rage....."
There's a difference between "I disagree with evangelism" and "I hate evangelicals." Don't go making up reasons to get pissed off when there are so many legitimate ones available.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
There's a difference ...

No charge! But please do not mistake me for someone that defends the evangelical, save their right to believe as they please.

My only point is that when the subject of faith comes up, a lot of folk feel compelled to beat up on somebody elses faith. Me thinks one should have the guts and wisdom to define their "faith" and leave it to others to define theirs. If you do not like another religion, just leave it alone.

In my view, the sum total of the human religious experiment is that a lot of good has came from religion, but yes, some very bad things have been done in the name of religion.

My other point was that where ever you stand on religion, the Bible is a wonderful book. I highly recommend it.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I tend to agree with the Chief on this one. I have a good friend that is quite evangelical, and sometimes I wish we could go one evening without him asking me how my faith is doing. I gave up arguing any kind of point with him long ago, so now I just try to avoid the subject all together. Religion can be a very constructive subject with the right company (ie AW), but if people can't be open-minded about it its frustrating, and can often turn bitter.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... sometimes I wish we could go one evening without him asking me how my faith is doing. ... .

And abrasion not limited to evangelicals. Mormons cause some "shut down". And the .... well you get the point.

But must say I never ever have had that problem with the Jews. My many friends never ever try to get me to come over to their "side". I like that in a religion. Actually, think they do not want me, something about the 12 triibes.

Passover, a friend came over to visit. I asked her is I had anything to worry about. With a sly smile she said that she did not know, but that it was not her call anyway. I like that in a religion.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
...But must say I never ever have had that problem with the Jews. ...

That's because prosletizing (spell check?) is not a part of the Jewish religion. There is no call to "spread the word". Thank God! (yes, pun intended).

That's the main beef I have with the Christian faith... why must that be a tenet of the religion? Why can't people believe what they believe and be judged by their actions...not what God they pray to?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
And abrasion not limited to evangelicals. Mormons cause some "shut down". And the .... well you get the point.

But must say I never ever have had that problem with the Jews. My many friends never ever try to get me to come over to their "side". I like that in a religion. Actually, think they do not want me, something about the 12 triibes.

Passover, a friend came over to visit. I asked her is I had anything to worry about. With a sly smile she said that she did not know, but that it was not her call anyway. I like that in a religion.

Actually Jewish people are against proselytizing. There is actually supposed to be 2 formal rejections before one is allowed to convert to Judaism (at least in the orthodox community).

I think the reasoning boils down to: Why in hell would you want to be subject to hundreds of rules, regulations and obligations when as a gentile you are only subject to 7 to end up in the same place? I'm inclined to agree.....that is if I practiced my religion.;)