• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Faith

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I have recently developed an interest in religion, I won`t go into the details as to why. Religion has never been a part of my life. I never went to church as a kid (other than as a guest with a friend`s family or for a funeral/wedding) and in my adulthood I have not as of yet made it a part of my life. As we`re all military on here (or related to, hoping to be, retired, etc) and military service has long had significant religious ties, I wanted to get your perspectives.

What I do not want this to become is a bash on religion/my god is better than your god/argument about religion - this isn`t the WarZone.

Please, if you`re comfortable doing so, share your views on your religious choice and why you choose to be religious. Please do not attack someone`s posting of their views.

Thanks in advance for those of you who choose to share.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Wow, great question... I'm gonna try and give you a coherent, thought out answer...

I have always been a very intuitive Christian but only recently have I begun to delve deeply into Christian literature. The stories of the bible always kicked me in the rear to get out of whatever slump I was in, a sort of "if they could go through all that, you can go through this," type of mentality.

There were times when I tried to be atheist, not outwardly but within myself, but I never could. It felt like I was turning my back on a good friend that had always been there for me.

For me, enough of the bible has been historically validated for me to believe in it, and the main premise of the bible seems to be a pretty good idea, that I willing subscribe to the rest of it.

DMCK

In my search for faith I became convinced about Christianity because it isnt just about making me feel good, or changing me into a moral person (though it does those things too) it is about explaining the world and all that goes on it it in a truthful way.

The Bible and all of its stories are so honest. They never sugar coat life. As a whole the book addresses human problems in a way that resonates with the way the world is. Evil, death, joy, relationships, suffering, beauty: all of these things are explained in ways that really coinside with the way things are. In the Bible death is always tragic, evil is very real, relationships can be very joyful, and very difficult, and beauty (of the earth, of people, of things people create) is celebrated.

These are just a few very vague examples, but there are lots of other things the Bible addresses too, like how Christians believe some of the bad things I mentioned are going to be fixed. I would be glad to provide specific citations for the examples I gave if you are interested.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I was also never very religious growing up myself. My family never went to church and I never thought much about it. My wife is the one who shared religion with me. She didn't cram it down my throat, but she always had a different perspective about things, and she did make me ask the question why? a lot. Her answer to a lot of my why's? was faith. It was hard for me to understand at first, because I never had any faith. Now I personally believe in Christianity. Out of all the stories through the hundreds of years that you learn about in religion the one that always stands alone is the story of Jesus. Even religions who do not believe Jesus is the Messiah recognize his story and that he existed. I don't necessarily know who's religious view of what is exactly right in every situation, but now when I have a situation that I don't understand faith plays a big part in the answer. There are some things in religion that I definitely believe, and then there are some that I just can't seem to give a black or white definitive answer to, but I guess that is where faith comes into play again. It doesn't matter to me what religion others believe in or don't believe in, because in the end there is only one judge.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I grew up much in the same way as PropStop, I think. My parents, who are by no means churchgoers, sat me down when I asked them why we didn't go to church, and told me that if it was something I wanted to do, then they would go with me. I stuck with playing GI Joe on Sunday mornings, instead. In my teenage years, I think that I went part-way down the Atheist path, but wound up heading back to the concepts of God and faith, instead.

I am not, and never have been much of a Bible guy, but I have read a bit of religious texts in the course of getting my degree (Poli Sci). And I have read quite a few books relating to converging ideas in religion and science. Truthfully, though, I cannot say that I have ever read the Bible in its entirety, mainly because there was never a requirement for me to do so. Also, while ALL religious texts contain good messages as far as moral and ethical guidelines are concerned, I have to wonder about interpretation. Specifically, who is it that interpreted the Word of God and wrote it down? What was their frame of reference?

Much along the same lines, I have never really subscribed to one religion, and that's largely due to the same reasons I mentioned for religious texts. I can see merit in all forms of religion, but I can also see faults. Or rather, what look like faults to me. Again, I think it's all about interpretation.

For me, the personal realization that God exists, and the concept that I should try to live my life as best as possible is enough. Likewise, I try to learn what I can from different sources to better my understanding. Perhaps the biggest influence in my spiritual beliefs has been my Grandmother. She was one of the first female elders in her church, and worked to further other people's own understanding of God. She said, "[Gaijin], it's not about where you go to church, or what parts of the Bible you read. You just have to look inside your self and find what's right for you."

The Stoic

I agree with allot that has been said. Also Gaijin6423 your point about having to look inside for true faith and understanding of god really stands out to me. I believe that although a text is a good reference when searching for answers and perspective it would seem a bit short sited of god to make his religion available only to a certain few who could either hear (as traditionally Christianity was an oral tradition) or read a regionally spread text. I mean what happens to the guy in the bush? With never having heard of Jesus, is he still capable of faith and salvation from any faith? According to the bible I believe it states that when so much is given so much is required. Which to me would possible mean that the man in the bush is only required to look around and inside himself and go "wow this must be god!" Where as those with a closer connection to the bible would have a deeper responsibility. Well i'll stop so this doesn't become a ramble, just my thoughts on a small part of the discussion. Good post

blarged

ready
I, since day one, was going to church with my parents. They lead a very conservative lifestyle, and by their example, I am much the same. What changed for me was when I went to college. I discovered, wait a second, it is Sunday morning and I don't have to go to church... so I slept.

For my first 3 years of college I would go to church on and off, mostly depending on how guilty I was feeling one week or another. It wasn't until I roomed with my brother, who is very strong in his faith, that I got really back into it.

What I am trying to say is that a person's faith, as I have found, is one of the most personal things that a person can have. There really is no way to force a faith on someone, it is something they have to realize they need and believe in. It took me really until my 22nd year to realize how personal faith and a relationship with God is.

Organized religion is a good thing, worship together through singing and fellowship is great, but I have found that the best part is knowing that God is there and always just a prayer away. You may not always see how prayers are answered, but there definitely is a comfort in saying a prayer.

Happy snowy Saturday! (at least here in the midwest)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was also never very religious growing up myself. My family never went to church and I never thought much about it. My wife is the one who shared religion with me. She didn't cram it down my throat, but she always had a different perspective about things, and she did make me ask the question why? a lot. Her answer to a lot of my why's? was faith. It was hard for me to understand at first, because I never had any faith. Now I personally believe in Christianity. Out of all the stories through the hundreds of years that you learn about in religion the one that always stands alone is the story of Jesus. Even religions who do not believe Jesus is the Messiah recognize his story and that he existed. I don't necessarily know who's religious view of what is exactly right in every situation, but now when I have a situation that I don't understand faith plays a big part in the answer. There are some things in religion that I definitely believe, and then there are some that I just can't seem to give a black or white definitive answer to, but I guess that is where faith comes into play again. It doesn't matter to me what religion others believe in or don't believe in, because in the end there is only one judge.

Not an attempt at religion-bashing at ALL, but not true.

Religion for me, while not a huge part of my life, has always been a saving grace for me when I'm feeling down. Sometimes it is the only thing in this world that can help you.

Prop Stop,

I am a Christian, so I will start there. I will make this as brief as possible so that people might actually read it (as this is sure to be a long thread).

(For me) Why Christianity vs. other Religions: Christianity is not about resume building. Nearly all religions believe in a supreme being, but as a Christian, when I meet God, I am not seeking favor with Him for anything I did personally. My "resume" is simple: Jesus. Not "I did the following good things," but just "Jesus." He did the "work" of my salvation (I believe that there is evil in the the world and I have sinned), was done by Jesus on the cross and it says in the Bible that God is "faithful to complete it (salvation)" if you allow Him to start it. So it is easy- all you have to do is accept the fact that Jesus died for you. There is NOTHING I can do but just surrender my opposition to God. Amazing.

Anecdotally: In the search for "truth," experience is powerful. In the same way that no one can tell you that you don't love your son, wife, or daughter, (because you experience it), I am certain of God's presence in my life.

Common sense: There is matter in our world right now. Either a) you believe in the sovreignty of matter (meaning it has always existed and is apart from time) or b) you believe in the sovreignty of a God. How did something come from nothing? We have something right now (the Universe) and unless matter itself is God, then how did the matter happen?

The Bible- I think it stands up to any standard, and I have extensively researched it. It is a bizarre perpetuation, but even if the Bible were somehow "proven" inaccurate by our scientific standards, I would still be a Christian because of my relationship with God. Yet, the Bible was the original basis of my faith. I challenge anyone to ask God to reveal Himself to you, and read the Bible. It will change your life.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I guess my parents jumped on the not-very-religious bandwagon, but I don't think by choice too much. We're all Roman Catholic, but when I was growing up I always had hockey on Sundays and that didn't afford time to go to Church. We'd go on the occasional Christmas or Easter, but thats about it.

In 8th grade I went to a Catholic school for one year, coming from a non-denominational private school (lack of funds that year). It was a pretty big shock, and I didn't get much right in our Religion class although it was informative.

I do, however, feel very close to God. I don't go to Church or practice organized religion nearly as much as I want, and I plan on getting my first communion and becoming more active within a Church (even if it's just going). It's something I feel inside me, and I'm not sure if that was fostered by my parents, the year at school, or luck.

I like the concept of Roman Catholicism because of the morality intertwined within. I don't neccessarily agree with everything, but the things which I don't are pretty minute. The overall picture is something I'd like to be a part of, and sometimes I find myself a little jealous of those who live a more morally sound life than I do. I don't think I'll ever become ultra-religious, but I hope to have it become more of a part of my life than it has been thus far.

FastMover

NFO
None
Prop Stop,

I am a Christian, so I will start there. I will make this as brief as possible so that people might actually read it (as this is sure to be a long thread).

(For me) Why Christianity vs. other Religions: Christianity is not about resume building. Nearly all religions believe in a supreme being, but as a Christian, when I meet God, I am not seeking favor with Him for anything I did personally. My "resume" is simple: Jesus. Not "I did the following good things," but just "Jesus." He did the "work" of my salvation (I believe that there is evil in the the world and I have sinned), was done by Jesus on the cross and it says in the Bible that God is "faithful to complete it (salvation)" if you allow Him to start it. So it is easy- all you have to do is accept the fact that Jesus died for you. There is NOTHING I can do but just surrender my opposition to God. Amazing.

Anecdotally: In the search for "truth," experience is powerful. In the same way that no one can tell you that you don't love your son, wife, or daughter, (because you experience it), I am certain of God's presence in my life.

Common sense: There is matter in our world right now. Either a) you believe in the sovreignty of matter (meaning it has always existed and is apart from time) or b) you believe in the sovreignty of a God. How did something come from nothing? We have something right now (the Universe) and unless matter itself is God, then how did the matter happen?

The Bible- I think it stands up to any standard, and I have extensively researched it. It is a bizarre perpetuation, but even if the Bible were somehow "proven" inaccurate by our scientific standards, I would still be a Christian because of my relationship with God. Yet, the Bible was the original basis of my faith. I challenge anyone to ask God to reveal Himself to you, and read the Bible. It will change your life.

+1

Well said.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Wow, I'm really pleased with the volume of response my question generated. Thank you all for taking the time to share your views on this. Religion is an intensely personal subject for most people and I greatly appreciate all y'all's candor.

Religion to me is becoming a journey of self discovery. If I never find a specific church or religion to subscribe to I know that my investigation into faith will make me a better person.

Please add more if you feel up to it.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I am sort of an uber catholic and thus, feel guilty all the time. I do love my faith though. So I think that we need a new Holy Roamin' Emperor....

Attachments

• popeclinton.jpg
    popeclinton.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 87

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
PropStop,

If you are really into a detailed exploration of Chrisitanity I highly suggest that you check out Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

BogeySpotter: Jews believe that Jesus existed but was not the Messiah. Muslims believe that Jesus was a great prophet. So, sorry bro, but you're wrong. Just trying to get the facts out...NOT trying to bash or anything.