• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Faith

Harrier- I only included you because you had a post specifically about evangelism. I would probably just be pedantic in agreeing or disagreeing with you about the mechanics of evangelism, because we are reading the same instruction manual!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I view evangelism like the dude at the party who has to tell you about his sports car, his money, or that he's a fighter pilot. You may have something that you're really excited about or proud of or makes you happy, but it doesn't mean anyone else wants to hear about it. My feelings are that when you are with company you aren't sure about, just STFU and if someone asks you your beliefs, then bring it up for discussion (atheism or religion-bashing included). I think the same about the other examples. If someone asks what you do or what you drive, then go ahead and tell them, but otherwise keep it to yourself.

Just my opinion.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I know the majority out there thinks otherwise... but remember, the majority once thought the world was flat. So here goes:

If someone tells me they're a "believer", they automatically lose a lot of credibility with me. I can't take someone seriously who believes in the "supernatural". I mean, can you imagine if after Galileo proved that the Earth revolved around the Sun, that people still to this day thought otherwise??? I think science has gone far enough to show that there is not some omnipotent being out there controlling everything. Perhaps there is a greater force out there beyond comprehension, but to say there's a "God" with will and power is just plain ridiculous imop.

... as I said earlier... if you still think the world is flat or the Sun revolves around the Earth, you're just plain foolish.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I know the majority out there thinks otherwise... but remember, the majority once thought the world was flat. So here goes:

If someone tells me they're a "believer", they automatically lose a lot of credibility with me. I can't take someone seriously who believes in the "supernatural". I mean, can you imagine if after Galileo proved that the Earth revolved around the Sun, that people still to this day thought otherwise??? I think science has gone far enough to show that there is not some omnipotent being out there controlling everything. Perhaps there is a greater force out there beyond comprehension, but to say there's a "God" with will and power is just plain ridiculous imop.

... as I said earlier... if you still think the world is flat or the Sun revolves around the Earth, you're just plain foolish.

Thnak you for sharing your opinion. I'm sorry that you feel that way.

I am a believer.

I know that it makes me lose credibility with you, and trust me when I say that it is a painful and crushing disappointment to me personally. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to you. Maybe in a few years, you'll feel differently. If so, then there will be plenty of folks, myself included, who would be happy to share our thoughts on the matter if you would like.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think that to imagine god as some anthropomorphic being existing somewhere watching what we do is silly. I like to think of "god" as some sort of all-encompassing energy which is uncaring to the caprices of mankind and allows to world to continue regardless of what we pray for or desire. To think that god is some dude sitting in the sky pressing a "yes" or "no" button is retarded. It is very human and small-minded to put something as huge as god into such a small box. If god truly does exist, his very being is far beyond our comprehension. The same way that gravity is mysterious and inexplicable in its basic origin and workings is how I feel that if god existed, it would be just as inexplicable (and it seems to be so). I feel god and science do not conflict at all, they are merely two different questions being asked/answered (How vs. Why).

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I think that to imagine god as some anthropomorphic being existing somewhere watching what we do is silly. I like to think of "god" as some sort of all-encompassing energy which is uncaring to the caprices of mankind and allows to world to continue regardless of what we pray for or desire. To think that god is some dude sitting in the sky pressing a "yes" or "no" button is retarded. It is very human and small-minded to put something as huge as god into such a small box. If god truly does exist, his very being is far beyond our comprehension. The same way that gravity is mysterious and inexplicable in its basic origin and workings is how I feel that if god existed, it would be just as inexplicable (and it seems to be so). I feel god and science do not conflict at all, they are merely two different questions being asked/answered (How vs. Why).

prob the best and most well thought out post in this thread yet... rep.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
The same way that gravity is mysterious and inexplicable in its basic origin and workings is how I feel that if god existed, it would be just as inexplicable (and it seems to be so). I feel god and science do not conflict at all, they are merely two different questions being asked/answered (How vs. Why).
Not a very good analogy, as there is nothing "inexplicable" about gravity. How gravity functions at the quantum level is currently not proven (there are plenty of viable theories), but it isn't any more inexplicable than magnetism was before Maxwell's laws. On the macro-scale, the properties and source of gravity are WELL understood though general relativity. On the other hand, the supernatural can not be understood scientifically by its very definition.

Religion and science do not conflict because the way of thinking that leads to each is incompatible with the other. I think you're on the right track when you say the two ask different questions. The conflict arises when one tries to make science or religion answer questions beyond their scope. Science will never be able to tell you the purpose (or lack thereof) of life and existence, just as "God did it" is not a scientific explanation of natural phenomena.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not a very good analogy, as there is nothing "inexplicable" about gravity. How gravity functions at the quantum level is currently not proven (there are plenty of viable theories), but it isn't any more inexplicable than magnetism was before Maxwell's laws. On the macro-scale, the properties and source of gravity are WELL understood though general relativity. On the other hand, the supernatural can not be understood scientifically by its very definition.

Religion and science do not conflict because the way of thinking that leads to each is incompatible with the other. I think you're on the right track when you say the two ask different questions. The conflict arises when one tries to make science or religion answer questions beyond their scope. Science will never be able to tell you the purpose (or lack thereof) of life and existence, just as "God did it" is not a scientific explanation of natural phenomena.

It was an off-the-cuff example, poor as it may be, but I think it got my point across. Gravity is only known through empirical data. Nothing can prove how or why it exists beyond conjecture. Such is the same way I think about god, or whatever all-powerful being may exist, being cold and uncaring to the world and its creatures and being utterly unfathomable in its totality.

I agree with you that people begin to have problems with science and/or religion when they try to make one answer questions beyond its scope.

Raptor2216

No, we can theorize on why we have gravity and what might possibly be causing it. These theories aren't just dreamed up, they have some basis...a lot of basis. You can't really compare that to the idea of a superior being. We may not be able to say for certain what is causing gravity but we can quantify it, which is a whole lot more than what I can say for religion.

At the root of it, religion holds to this idea that humans are somehow perfect and I think that leads to the false belief that we are somehow superior. I don't mean superior in terms of being at the top of the food chain, because we obviously are, but in terms of the whole idea that we have a "soul". What a bunch of baloney it is to think that we can have "souls" but what of the millions of animals we kill and eat each year? Who decided that they don't have souls or that you won't be punished for eating a good steak meal? I'm not a vegetarian freak or anything, this is just some food for thought...no pun intended.

Like I said before, other than going thorough the paces of everyday life, killing and destroying each other over trivial $hit and then "settling our differences" once enough damage has been done to both sides and then repeating it all over again, as history has shown time and time again, how does our existence really affect the universe that we KNOW?? It doesn't because humans don't mean a thing in the bigger picture.

It was an off-the-cuff example, poor as it may be, but I think it got my point across. Gravity is only known through empirical data. Nothing can prove how or why it exists beyond conjecture. Such is the same way I think about god, or whatever all-powerful being may exist, being cold and uncaring to the world and its creatures and being utterly unfathomable in its totality.

I agree with you that people begin to have problems with science and/or religion when they try to make one answer questions beyond its scope.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
At the root of it, religion holds to this idea that humans are somehow perfect and I think that leads to the false belief that we are somehow superior.

You might want to reread the Bible if you get a chance. You seemed to miss a concept that Jesus touched on a time or twenty. We're far from perfect.

I'm not pushing the Bible on this one, either. Try the Koran, Torah, or just about any other religious text. They all pretty well discuss our imperfection and lay out a path on how best to overcome our flaws either through redemption, Grace, hard work, adherance to laws, or whatever.

BackOrdered

Contributor
At the root of it, religion holds to this idea that humans are somehow perfect and I think that leads to the false belief that we are somehow superior.

This couldn't be more wrong. Religion of all kinds deal with the concept that man is flawed by nature and needs karma, repentance, inner peace, nirvana, enlightenment etc etc.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
To think that god is some dude sitting in the sky pressing a "yes" or "no" button is retarded.
Okay, smart guy, explain this one:
2152139350_24731ea65e_o.jpg

BourneID

pilot
On the faith topic.... Last night I watched Jesus Camp on A&E, and it was disturbed me. To think that young children are speaking in tounges, and everything else shown in that film just blows me away. I consider myself a pretty devout christian, minus my several flaws of course, but to see these kids at such a young age scares me, its like they have ever had a chance to grow up. And look, every last one of them on there seemed homeschooled.