• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Faith

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
That's because prosletizing (spell check?) is not a part of the Jewish religion. There is no call to "spread the word". Thank God! (yes, pun intended).

That's the main beef I have with the Christian faith... why must that be a tenet of the religion? Why can't people believe what they believe and be judged by their actions...not what God they pray to?

Because God told us to. But there is a great difference between, "spreading the word", and trying to make someone feel bad because they don't believe what you believe.

Matthew 28:19-20

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matthew 28:19-20

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Funny how God refers to himself both in the first and third person all in the same sentence. One of God's lesser known powers - Omnisyntax. :D Maybe Matthew was still working off all the excess "water into wine" supply as he was taking dictation.

Brett

PCHomerun_4

I am a Christian and I go to church regularly. I have a close relationship with God and I believe with everything I am. I try to study my faith and work at it to make it stronger. One of my friends loaned me a cd. It was of a christian speaker, Russell O' Quinn. He is a test pilot (or was a test pilot, I don't know how old this recording was) and a devoted Christian. Check him out, he has a website. Some of you may have heard of him. This fits in perfect with this website. Great Post!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Great discussion, and I think it is at it's end, but lets go out with a quote from George Washington, our first president, which sums up my views quite closely.

When hiring workmen for Mount Vernon, he wrote to his agent, "If they be good workmen, they may be from Asia, Africa, or Europe; they may be Mohammedans, Jews, or Christians of any sect, or they may be Atheists."

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but I just got back from holiday vacation.

First, some general thoughts. Even in my submission to Christ, I am as anti-religion as anyone here- within the given context of "religion." I believe that thinking there is anything I can do to merit God's grace, love, and forgiveness misses the point. I am equally annoyed by the dogmatic legalism that seems to define the lives of fellow believers. I think the moment I knew God was the same moment that I realized the extent and reality of my sin, not just intellectually but internally... NOT when I performed a certain action.

Individually:

Brett- I pretend to understand your position because I used to somewhat agree. I think you are just being logical, which is obviously a good thing. I guess now I feel like I was generally irreverent, arrogant, and cynical in my pride. Either way, there is no shame in applying reason and calculation to the human condition. Glad you "came strong" with your thoughts. I do not think you are religion bashing.

a2b2c3- Buddhism seems like it is working out for you in spite of your angst toward organized religion. I would just tell you that a questioning attitude is equally encouraged among Christians; even Jesus's own disciples questioned him.

inverted- I agree that "some Christians are more judgmental than most." I think the point where certain Christians consider themselves moral champions is where they are missing out. The Bible says in Romans that not a single person is righteous, and in Corinitians that Christians should be more introspective than aggressively judgmental. There is nothing a human can do to merit forgiveness.

P-ubhi18- I think there is nothing less arrogant than completely submitting yourself to God. I do think religion is arrogant when it starts to play the role of God and (again) use legalism and dogma to determine worthiness. I disagree on many levels with the contention that God is arrogant for judging his creation. From my experience, God is loving, perfect, and just.

Harrier Dude, incubus582, Cate, Fmr1833, Chief- From my perspective, the act of evangelism is less about Christians marching into battle and more about just sharing the good news. Yes, we are called to evangelize. But, I think there is a dichotomy or at least some disconnect between the two methods. I honestly feel bad that your interpret some of these people as aggressively trying to brow-beat you into acknowledgment. From what I have seen, some of that is just sharing the good news of your life and the Gospel, and others are trying to fill a quota to try and please God. In 1 Peter, Christians are instructed to give a defense for the hope that is within them. I do no think this means breaking into someone's house so that you can be sure to give them a defense, or trying to find situations where you can have a captive audience who cannot avoid hearing you out. Ultimately, evangelism can be as simple as sharing the Gospel with the compassion God gives, but it NEVER involves intrusive convincing and persuasion of the high ground.

Birdman- Where we disagree is where the Bible contradicts your statement. In John 14, Jesus says that sinful humans need Him (and his substitutionary sacrifice for our sins) to get to heaven. You are not the first to view it as "moronic," but I think the validity of the Bible is likely an endless debate and is one we would have to have in order to resolve your position.

Swanee- Here is another case where the Bible is my reference, so we will likely get no where. I think that being a "good person" is impossible in God's eyes. We are all sinners in God's eyes- which is mind-blowing. That there is no pathetic action I can perform to try to get into the good graces of God. His grace is perfect already. I became a Christian when I realized my sin. What a moment and one I never could have imagined outside of God's love for me.

red_ryder- I can identify with your view of the Bible as being in line with "Aesop's Fables." I think that the Bible, as a whole, to including the Old Testament, is about Jesus and the character of God. There is less congruency among Aesop's fables, ha ha. But, there is some powerful prophecy in the the Old Testament that came to life in Jesus.

Ultimately, I am just amazed by the grace of God. I believe that there is evil and sin in the world. God sent his son Jesus to justify humanity and save those who acknowledge Him. His grace and love are powerful, real, and extremely hopeful in my life. For anyone relecting on their faith, I would encourage you to do less "dipping your toe in the water" and just dive in. It has changed my life and now I know the creator of the universe.

I want to thank everyone for contributing to the post, it has been very enjoyable to read!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Harrier Dude, incubus582, Cate, Fmr1833, Chief- From my perspective, the act of evangelism is less about Christians marching into battle and more about just sharing the good news. Yes, we are called to evangelize. But, I think there is a dichotomy or at least some disconnect between the two methods. I honestly feel bad that your interpret some of these people as aggressively trying to brow-beat you into acknowledgment. From what I have seen, some of that is just sharing the good news of your life and the Gospel, and others are trying to fill a quota to try and please God. In 1 Peter, Christians are instructed to give a defense for the hope that is within them. I do no think this means breaking into someone's house so that you can be sure to give them a defense, or trying to find situations where you can have a captive audience who cannot avoid hearing you out. Ultimately, evangelism can be as simple as sharing the Gospel with the compassion God gives, but it NEVER involves intrusive convincing and persuasion of the high ground.

I agree with most of your post.

Were you trying to agree with me here? Or were you saying that I advocated "breaking into someone's house so that you can be sure to give them a defense, or trying to find situations where you can have a captive audience who cannot avoid hearing you out."

I thought I was pretty clear in saying almost the opposite.

I believe in sharing my faith with those who want to hear about it. If the faith that I have inspires somebody to ask about it or makes them curious as to what I think, then I share it with them.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I probably have nothing to say that hasn't been hit on already. But my most memorable recent faith experience happened around my freshman year of college during my dumber/lazier days. I had a 50 question, all multiple choice 40 minute test on blackboard in a class I was boarder lining a low B in. I started the test and upon viewing the questions realized I wasn't at all prepared for the test and with 50 questions in 40 minutes worth 2 a piece I couldn't research every little thing. I started guessing and as the test drug on my guesses got from bad to pathetic. In my mind, I could have swore it was looking like I was going to bomb this test very very hard. My time expired with 3-4 questions unanswered!! Finally I said what the heck and prayed my butt off. I hit the "view score" button and awaited my fate expecting to fail the test. I kid you not, I got a 92! I was completely freaked out.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Message from God???
lousy-day.jpg