• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failed DP at MEPs. Options to retake, or do I switch paths?

FlyinHawaiian22

I went through MEPS today. Everything else besides my DP was stellar. I've been dreaming of flying for the Marine Corps for a while (two marine aviators in my family), but after my failed DP, I'm at a crossroads. I've seen a bunch of information on here about how getting a civilian waiver is no longer an option, and seeing how there are no longer NFOs in the USMC, I'm thinking about going the Navy route. I took the ASTB last week and scored 61 7/7/7. My Marine Corps PFT is near perfect (293), so the Navy PFT will be no problem, and I came out of college with a decent GPA. I was starting to become optimistic about my chances of earning my commission as an SNA, and I would love to hear some solutions for a waiver/re-test. Still, I'll honestly do anything to be in a cockpit, so if that means a Navy NFO, so be it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was starting to become optimistic about my chances of earning my commission as an SNA, and I would love to hear some solutions for a waiver/re-test. Still, I'll honestly do anything to be in a cockpit, so if that means a Navy NFO, so be it.

What did your marine corps recruiter say? That would be a start…

Concerning the Navy, you would have to reach out to a local navy officer recruiter. The civilian eye exam retake has been allowed/not allowed and it appears they are going back to accepting civilian eye exams.

Just note, in the past applicants have shopped eye doctors to find those who’ll “pass” them. They then go to OCS only to fail the military eye exam and have to redesignate.

FlyinHawaiian22

What did your marine corps recruiter say? That would be a start…

Concerning the Navy, you would have to reach out to a local navy officer recruiter. The civilian eye exam retake has been allowed/not allowed and it appears they are going back to accepting civilian eye exams.

Just note, in the past applicants have shopped eye doctors to find those who’ll “pass” them. They then go to OCS only to fail the military eye exam and have to redesignate.
I sent my MEPS documents to my OR about an hour ago, still awaiting a response. As soon as I saw my results, I was going a bit crazy by torturing myself over the fact that I may not get to fly, so I hopped on here. As for getting a civilian retake to only fail at OCS, I genuinely think I could pass the MEPS eye exam if I were better prepared. I was running on about 3 hours of sleep + a red bull and foolishly rushed myself through the test. Hope I get good news from my OR tonight/tomorrow morning about a retake.

exNavyOffRec

I genuinely think I could pass the MEPS eye exam if I were better prepared. I was running on about 3 hours of sleep + a red bull and foolishly rushed myself through the test. Hope I get good news from my OR tonight/tomorrow morning about a retake.
This is what every person that has failed the DP at MEPS has said. I will say that each MEPS is different because of the people that administer the test, mine was good so if you failed you did really fail. There were those that found a civilian doctor and passed only to fail at OCS, so just be aware and careful.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was running on about 3 hours of sleep + a red bull and foolishly rushed myself through the test.

Why would you risk doing something like that before/during MEPS? You should have been briefed about getting good rest, especially during an important process that is the medical exam.

Like what @exNavyOffRec said, I feel that is the most commonly-used excuse along with "MEPS staff rushed me through" excuse. In my last recruiting tour, we addressed the DP test issue with MEPS, after some applicants offering the same excuses. The MEPS reinforced that they don't "rush" applicants and provide assistance/encouragement if needed. If an applicant "failed", they offer an opportunity to retake before leaving for the day.

For my applicants who provided a civilian eye exam, I would say maybe half of them ended up failing the DP exam at OCS, for reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed33

I sent my MEPS documents to my OR about an hour ago, still awaiting a response. As soon as I saw my results, I was going a bit crazy by torturing myself over the fact that I may not get to fly, so I hopped on here. As for getting a civilian retake to only fail at OCS, I genuinely think I could pass the MEPS eye exam if I were better prepared. I was running on about 3 hours of sleep + a red bull and foolishly rushed myself through the test. Hope I get good news from my OR tonight/tomorrow morning about a retake.
I failed the DP test the first time I took it. I was rushed and was tired etc. Then I went to an eye doctor just to verify I had decent depth perception and that was not a problem. I also had the opportunity to sit in the lobby with the stereo booklet and become more familiar with what to look for. I talked to my recruiter and he somehow got me back into MEPS for the DP test only. So I showed up well hydrated and rested. Then took my time on the test and focused. I ended up passing every single one of them. The MEPs people also let try the AFVT DP test which is easier in my opinion. All you have to do is blink fast and focus. The dots will pop out for you.

This was my situation. You also might have to accept the fact that you don't have great depth perception. I watched my friend who does not have depth perception fly his RC plane straight into a tree. Anyone else with good depth perception would have avoided the tree.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
This is what every person that has failed the DP at MEPS has said. I will say that each MEPS is different because of the people that administer the test, mine was good so if you failed you did really fail. There were those that found a civilian doctor and passed only to fail at OCS, so just be aware and careful.
I just finished a 20 year flying career for the Navy. Failed the DP test at MEPS because I didn't know what I was looking for, being it was the first time taking that specific test. Went to an actual ophthalmologist instead of a HM3 and he said I had no issues. Time and time again the Navy misses out on actual good recruits because of their stupid policies. We are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot.

exNavyOffRec

I just finished a 20 year flying career for the Navy. Failed the DP test at MEPS because I didn't know what I was looking for, being it was the first time taking that specific test. Went to an actual ophthalmologist instead of a HM3 and he said I had no issues. Time and time again the Navy misses out on actual good recruits because of their stupid policies. We are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot.
NAMI for several years stopped taking civilian DP retest because so many that failed at MEPS, then passed with a civilian doc, went on to fail at NAMI, and that situation was going on for many years.

There will be those that just have a bad day and fail, but those like you are the exception, it is less about MEPS and more about candidates realizing that what they had been hoping for won't happen.

I have no issues with a person getting a second opinion and going with that, as long as they are fully aware those who do end up failing at MEPS and passing on retest, fail at NAMI and have to pick something else or go home.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAMI for several years stopped taking civilian DP retest because so many that failed at MEPS, then passed with a civilian doc, went on to fail at NAMI, and that situation was going on for many years.

There will be those that just have a bad day and fail, but those like you are the exception, it is less about MEPS and more about candidates realizing that what they had been hoping for won't happen.

I have no issues with a person getting a second opinion and going with that, as long as they are fully aware those who do end up failing at MEPS and passing on retest, fail at NAMI and have to pick something else or go home.
20+ years and failed at MEPs here. Actually not that rare.

exNavyOffRec

20+ years and failed at MEPs here. Actually not that rare.
In looking at the big picture it is rare, that was why NAMI changed the policy, a few people on AW that failed, retested and passed and then had careers in aviation do not make it common. I doubt those that failed, retested and passed, then failed DP and went home are still on AW.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

You mostly missed my point. I, and others like me, failed the DP test at MEPS for whatever reason, were able to get past that, and then have successful 20 year careers. Obviously the ophthalmologist was correct that my eyes are fine and wouldn't be an issue flying for the Navy, even landing on a boat over 700 times. The problem is the test we are basing people's competency on is sub-par, but yet the Navy wants to take that as gospel over the word of an actual eye doctor. If an eye Dr says my eyesight is fine, and then I go fail the Navy's stupid circle test, then maybe it's the stupid circle test that should be looked at. Whether that's at MEPS, or NAMI, or API or whatever.

exNavyOffRec

You mostly missed my point. I, and others like me, failed the DP test at MEPS for whatever reason, were able to get past that, and then have successful 20 year careers. Obviously the ophthalmologist was correct that my eyes are fine and wouldn't be an issue flying for the Navy, even landing on a boat over 700 times. The problem is the test we are basing people's competency on is sub-par, but yet the Navy wants to take that as gospel over the word of an actual eye doctor. If an eye Dr says my eyesight is fine, and then I go fail the Navy's stupid circle test, then maybe it's the stupid circle test that should be looked at. Whether that's at MEPS, or NAMI, or API or whatever.
I see where you are coming from, and that make sense. I was coming more from the direction of those that are doctor shopping until they pass which is more common than you would think.

It sounds like you and the others here are not in the group I was talking about.

Unfortunately from what I saw it was often recruiters pushing them to get external test and find a way to pass.