• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 Bases

HUDcripple

pilot
Did VFA-82 move to Oceana? Used to be both CAG 1 Hornet squadrons were in Beaufort.

VFA-82 dis-established about a year ago.

2 Rhino squadrons will eventually go to Cherry Point.

1 of 10 airwings is in Japan, so 10% of fleet Hornet seats are there.

Same numbers for Hawaii or Guam if that happens.

WARNING!!! RAMBLING POST TO FOLLOW

Lemoore is better flying than Oceana, at least Air-to-ground. If you are single it is a social wasteland, but for married w or w/o kids it is OK. Just bolt on the weekends to:

Wine country: 1.5 hours
Yosemite: 2 hours
LA or SF: 3 hours
SD or Reno/Tahoe: 5 hours
Vegas: 7 hours

Delta used to fly direct Fresno to Salt Lake. Can be on Park City slopes faster than Tahoe slopes.

My bottom line when in Lemoore was that it is a great starting place for a weekend getaway, but if you get off work early on a Tuesday - not a lot of options.

No matter what your platform, sooner or later you will be stationed somewhere that you consider bad. If you're not flying what you want to fly then it is even worse.

If you still prefer elsewhere to Lemoore, then on your RAG dream sheet put Oceana, then Mirimar, then Lemoore.

Good luck.

GMan1976

Banned
If you still prefer elsewhere to Lemoore, then on your RAG dream sheet put Oceana, then Mirimar, then Lemoore.

Good luck.

HUD, thanks so much for the info! You're one of the few people that even tackled my orig question of "what percentage" goes where. As for Miramar, can Navy folks go there? Is it even an option?

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
HUD, thanks so much for the info! You're one of the few people that even tackled my orig question of "what percentage" goes where. As for Miramar, can Navy folks go there? Is it even an option?

Considering there's no USN squadrons left there, I highly doubt it ;)

Unless VMFAT-101 trains future Navy Hornet drivers as well.

Adam
"VFA-203 Forever"

Fred

Fishing: :yuck_125:

Hiking: :yuck_125:

Camping: :yuck_125:

Sorry :( Didn't mean to "yuck" your "yum". I just don't think Lemoore cuts it for us... It IS nice that there's an active wives club though.

I firmly believe attitude has a huge impact on pretty much everything in your life. Sounds like you already have a horrible one about a location/s you know little to nothing about. When I was a brand new Navy wife our CO's wife gave me great advice. "Bloom where you are planted, or shrivel up and die."

My husband and I are coming up on 19 years of marriage. Over the years we've lived at some great locations, and some less than desirable. No matter what the location, it was home. Home has been P'Cola, Beeville, TX, Lemoore (twice), Atsugi (twice), Monterey, China Lake, and Virginia Beach/Norfolk. We've had fun, made wonderful friends, and have great memories from each and every location. Only twice in my husband's career did he really have a choice of locations. The important thing was he was doing what made him happy, and in turn I was able to find something to make me happy.

No matter where you live, a place is going to be what you make of it. Go in with a bad attitude before you get there and it will pretty much guarantee a miserable tour.

Fred

So you husbands married to a girl named Fred? Am I missing something?

Yes, he is. Happily, I might add for Brett's sake. ;) Fredericka, Fred for short. I'm named after my Grandma. My husband and pretty much everyone else calls me by my middle name which is much more girlish. Does that make you less confused?

Fred

Yes my knowledges is increased. Always good to hear it can be done.

That what can be done? Being happily married? The vast majority of the couples we've kept in contact with since flight school, RAG, and first duty station are still married.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Shsss, I know that, even with both my parents in the fleet together they are still happily married. But their are lots of people on this board that like to through statistics at people, as though they haven't already beat them to even arrive at this station of life. But dont out me, ix nay on the arriage may....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That what can be done? Being happily married? The vast majority of the couples we've kept in contact with since flight school, RAG, and first duty station are still married.

Yeah, what Raptor said. I won't beat you over the head with the whole thing again, but personal anecdotal experience doesn't mean much here. To be clear, my position is not "Nobody should ever get married because it never works out," it's more like "If you decide to get married, be smart about it, do it for the right reasons, and have realistic expectations so that you're not exposed to the mercy of the court system in the event it doesn't work out."

Brett

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Hey, if you know you can be happy in whatever platform, then why not use other criteria to pick what platform you want?

Personally, I wouldn't do that, because they could have sent me to pluto (which apparently isn't even a planet anymore) as long as they gave me something that had a pointy nose (or an EA-6).

I think it is important to remember that a lot of people want fast-movers and still don't get them. And that there are nasty duty locations for other than jet types, too. And eventually you will probably get the shaft some way or another, ooh-rah!

My friend used to say, "Who cares what you fly if you hate where you land."
Catchy, no?

For me I would reverse that.

I'm single, but I think taking your wife into consideration is a good move. Maybe the reason so many relationships break up is because so many folks take the advice here and don't.

Good luck.