• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ensign with a dui charge

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Oh...:D

Just to be explicitly clear, I'm not suggesting that I know what the exact action should be...(ADSEP, denial of re-enlistment etc...) I just think that it should prevent you from sucessfully completing a career. The member could be allowed to serve to maximum allowable time for a given rank/paygrade...who knows. Now to your point.

What I think would be gained is adherence to a standard. In the same way that uniform standards safeguard appearance, PFAs safeguard physical readiness etc... Uniformed service members are held...and should be held to a higher standard than their civilian counterparts. I just happen to feel that DUI ( or more generally, committing a misdemeanor or felony with potentially dangerous/lethal ramifications) is something that we shouldn't allow. This isn't new ground...people are expelled from the Naval Academy for cibbing answers etc...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not trying to piss on anyones parade here...but the examples MasterBates puts out are to me, the reason why the Navy has no choice but a zero tolerance policy with regard to DUI.

Zero tolerance = zero think. End of story. Zero tolerance works most of the time, unfortunately, it leads to ridiculous things like Brett said. Zero tolerance = zero think.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh...:D

What I think would be gained is adherence to a standard. In the same way that uniform standards safeguard appearance, PFAs safeguard physical readiness etc... Uniformed service members are held...and should be held to a higher standard than their civilian counterparts. I just happen to feel that DUI ( or more generally, committing a misdemeanor or felony with potentially dangerous/lethal ramifications) is something that we shouldn't allow. This isn't new ground...people are expelled from the Naval Academy for cibbing answers etc...

But it's not something we allow. It's something we already punish and that already has serious career implications. You're being awfully vague about what "not completing a successful career" means. A DUI already means that an officer's upward mobility will be seriously hampered (definitely no command, possibly no O-4 or retirement). For an E, it means they'll have a documented NJP, crappy eval that will interfere with advancement and retention. What more are you looking for exactly? I want to understand the source of your serious misunderstanding about this issue.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh. That clears it all up, thanks. Wish you'd said something sooner.:D ;)

I know you're being a sarcastic a$$, and being one myself, I appreciate it, however, if you don't understand what I'm saying... I'm sorry for you.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Your analogy of DUI and PRT is a flawed one. First, PRT failure doesn't equal ADSEP (or career killer), even after three failures.
Brett, you have been out of the Fleet too long there in SOCAL. As you undoubtedly know, whenever the Navy needs to cut bodies, the 3 strikes policy comes back, so, the pendulum has swung back this way again.

GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. OPNAVINST 6110.1H RELEASED IN AUGUST 2005 ANNOUNCED MANDATORY ADSEP PROCESSING BEGINNING IN JULY 2006 FOR ALL SAILORS WHO HAVE FAILED THREE OR MORE PFA CYCLES WITHIN A FOUR-YEAR PERIOD AND DO NOT PASS THE SPRING 2006 PFA CYCLE.
As always, there are paths to waivering this (progress or readiness), but it isn't easy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, you have been out of the Fleet too long there in SOCAL. As you undoubtedly know, whenever the Navy needs to cut bodies, the 3 strikes policy comes back, so, the pendulum has swung back this way again.

As always, there are paths to waivering this (progress or readiness), but it isn't easy.

I can't seem to find the message boards anywhere on campus. :D

Fair enough, but you still get two chances to recover, unlike the sudden death proposed by Scoob. For the record, I'm in favor of separating chronic PFA failures.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't seem to find the message boards anywhere on campus. :D

Fair enough, but you still get two chances to recover, unlike the sudden death proposed by Scoob. For the record, I'm in favor of separating chronic PFA failures.

Brett

This November was the first PRT I ran in about 1 year... it was the first year running it EVER with enlisted troops. I was horrified. So many young bodies, I thought they'd kick my a$$... that wasn't so... and I'm not in super shape either.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This November was the first PRT I ran in about 1 year... it was the first year running it EVER with enlisted troops. I was horrified. So many young bodies, I thought they'd kick my a$$... that wasn't so... and I'm not in super shape either.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how many of the youngsters are just in average shape. Even at 36, I still finish within the first few people, but then again, I run a lot.

Brett

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Ahh, there's nothing like explaining to a 1st class why being a good worker (which she was) doesn't mean you can have 50% body fat.