• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Embry Riddle V. Purdue

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I second what godspeed said. Nice post

Also, I'm pretty sure this picture was taken in daytona. I recognize those mugs from adobe gilas.....

purdue-cheerleaders-11.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Using the internet on a Blackberry... easier said than done.

The only English class I was required to take consisted of the professor cancelling 1/2 the classes and no one learning taking place.

Your blackberry replaces "well" with "good"? It may be able to guess what word you're trying to type, but it doesn't do grammar.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
If you like football games, and girls, go to Perdue,

If you don't, go to Riddle

I about shit my pants my freshman year at Riddle when we had a homecoming basketball game...

But on a serious note, take heed to what has been said. the $150,000 price tag is not something to take lightly,

I'm kicking myself in the ass now for the ~$40k that I spent there my first year because that alone would've payed my tuition for my entire 4 years at the state school I'm at now. Same degree program, better instructors (IMO).

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I second what godspeed said. Nice post

Also, I'm pretty sure this picture was taken in daytona. I recognize those mugs from adobe gilas.....

Y'know, it's funny that all of these photos seem to take place around spring break time...

You should show the pictures of the beach like it is, y'know with the dirty diaper crashing against the docks..

oh, and ERAU's trickery by hosting their open house during national cheerleading competitions is not nice. (well it was that week)

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Your blackberry replaces "well" with "good"? It may be able to guess what word you're trying to type, but it doesn't do grammar.

No it doesn't... but by the time you are done typing anything longer than a text message with your thumbs you don't feel like proof reading it that much.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I had a great time at Riddle and had a 'college' experience that I would pit against anyone that went to a state school. How?

a) I lived off campus
b) I went other places to party... Stetson University in Deland (about a 30 min drive away), is a private school stocked to the BRIM with hot, spoiled rich college girls. I think the ratio at that school was 3 or 4 girls to every guy. Going to Deland to meet women isn't even fair. Orlando is absolutely insane 365 days a year with tourists. The Orlando nightlife is unrivaled: Citiwalk (Pleasure Island as well) and highly discounted theme park tickets + discounted hotels = unbelievable nightlife.

I think it depends on your ability to socialize/network and be adventurous. If you are looking for a very nuclear college experience (want to live in a college town, stay there the whole time you are in college etc) then go to a state school or Purdue.

I found the Daytona nightlife decent. It is a popular spring break location, and even other times in the year there are some good places to have a great time (but it can't hold a candle to a big college town).

But is what I really enjoyed about Daytona, was that it was the perfect staging point for other places. Drive south an hour and you are in Canaveral/Cocoa: Cheap weekend Bahama cruises out of here every weekend.

Drive another hour or two south and you are in FT. Lauderdale: $30 ferry ride and you are in the Bahamas for the weekend.

Drive another hour south and you are in Miami: South Beach anyone?

I already mentioned Orlando (about an hour/ hour and a half away from Daytona).

Jacksonville/St. Augustine is an hour or two north (great nightlife, especially St. Augustine).

Gainesville is a little less than two hours away, a college town in the truest sense imaginable (Gatormania).

Tampa and it's awesome nightlife is I think a little over 2 hours away if I recall.

My point is that the possibilities were endless. Every Friday after class we'd drive a couple hours (somewhere new each weekend) and do it up.

As far as the tuition is concerned, you will pay out the ass to go to Riddle. You will pay doubly out the ass if you do the flight program at Riddle. I got an Aviation Management degree and have a couple semesters left on an Aerospace Engineering degree. All of it set me back $80,000. I've been out of college for 2 years, and i've paid off $30,000 with my O1 pay, so I don't know about the whole paying back loans for 50 years business. If you do the flight program (which I don't recommend) it will set you back in the neighborhood of $150k.

I felt like I did get a great education, but at a high price for sure. All in all, I think that the school you go to should be based on your own research and what you feel will be best for you. Read up on each of the schools, go to their websites and look up the rankings for their different degree programs. Look at and weigh the costs associated with each school and go with the one that fits you best.

I have many friends that went to Purdue and enjoyed it. I enjoyed my time in Daytona. To each their own. Good luck to you!

Can anyone say overcompensation?

I had a great time at Texas and had a 'college' experience that I would pit against anyone.

With the exception of spring break in South Padre, I spent my entire time in Austin 5 minutes from spoiled hot chicks and the truly unrivaled nightlife.

I can't tell you what my education cost because those brain cells are dead and it was paid off before I made LTJG.

Love ya Godspeed but if you want to talk up ERAU's finer points you should avoid the hot chicks/night life arguement.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Most people see me post a lot of anti-riddle stuff, and yeah, I mean it. Do not confuse my feelings toward the school with my feelings toward the NROTC unit there.
I will say that my time in ROTC was excellent. Lots of opportunities to volunteer and even though it was a large battalion, they emphasized getting to know everyone in it. I also found that the personality of the people that were in it were very different than the typical "my dad's rich and I drive a porsche/elitist" attitude.

There are few things I regret in life, leaving the unit to transfer to another school is one of the biggest. But I couldn't afford to stay and I am very happy with where I am at now. Who knows, maybe all my anti-Riddle sentiment is just sour grapes :p

That being said, there is always BS everywhere you go and there are going to be both crappy and great things involved with every decision you make. We just tend to focus on the negatives more sometimes.

Take a look hard at what YOU want for a college experience, because both are EXTREMELY different. I think the only way you could get further from the iconic Van Wilder state school (fun) college is to apply for USNA :D (I keed)

The flip side to this, you get an NROTC scholarship at riddle: do it, do not think twice, do not pass go, do not collect $200

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Best advice I ever got from anyone about college:

Go where you want and study something that interests you and do well. If you really want to study Air Traffic Management then go for it at ERAU. If you want to study English, it's probably a better choice to go to Purdue.

I went to a medium sized state school, it didn't have a huge nightlife but we compensated by bringing the party to my off campus apartment. It was a dry campus too, but that meant that we just had to be creative on where to hide the alcohol. It had a sport that I love (sailing), and I got my degree in theatre design and production, something I am more than willing to do if being a Marine Aviator doesn't work out.

Bottom line, the school I went to was a pretty darn perfect fit for me. You just have to make that decision and get in where you fit in, you will be happiest that way.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Can anyone say overcompensation?
I had a great time at Texas and had a 'college' experience that I would pit against anyone.
With the exception of spring break in South Padre, I spent my entire time in Austin 5 minutes from spoiled hot chicks and the truly unrivaled nightlife.
I can't tell you what my education cost because those brain cells are dead and it was paid off before I made LTJG.
Love ya Godspeed but if you want to talk up ERAU's finer points you should avoid the hot chicks/night life arguement.

In case I confused anyone by the tone of my post, I don't think 'hot chicks and nightlife' should be the foundation upon which anyone chooses a college. There are clearly much more important factors. :D

However, the reason I focused on this in my post was because that was the driving topic of the thread. Most were talking about women as the driving factor to stay away from Daytona Beach. I was trying to give the guy a bit more perspective; that going to ERAU wont damn you to a four year sexual sabbatical. Perhaps I pushed my point a bit too strong.

My objective wasn't to 'talk up the finer points of ERAU'. This isn't a my schlong is bigger than your schlong pissing contest. Letting the dude know that contrary to what a few are saying, there are attractive women within a 200 mile radius of Daytona.

And I don't know what you mean: "I didn't know what my education cost blah blah blah". I layed it out right there... Said I spent 80k. I also said that if you have a decent paying job, you won't have debt looming over you for 50 years (unless you sink 150k into flight ratings, which I also said is a horrible idea).

As far as 'avoiding the argument' is concerned; I posted along with the direction of the thread 'hot chicks and such'.

If we want to have a debate about quality of education, i'd be happy to oblige, but considering the first half of this thread is people posting half naked women, I'll stay on point.

flopper

Compare this
LOROBWTUZCSRVUD.20081010152607.jpg

with this:
purdue-cheerleaders-2.jpg

and tell me where you want to go.... ;)

I don't think I've seen that much makeup in my life, lol. If it were me I would go Purdue, but the school doesn't matter. Go for the cheaper one and pocket some BDCP cash, forget ROTC. I got SNA and I'm at a state uni where the closest thing you will get to aviation is talking about Bernoulli's principle and how it relates to lift mechanincs on an aircraft's wing under laminar air flow in physics lecture.