• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Embry Riddle V. Purdue

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
If your sole purpose in life was to become a regional airline pilot, then I would go to Embry Riddle. I'm graduating from here in a couple days, and thats the one thing they do good. Unfortunatly, thats the only thing they do good.

Seeing that its not, go to Purdue. Get a real college experience.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Don't be fooled. This only happens 3 months out of the year. Don't waste your time and money on what the Navy will pay you to learn. Go to a school that has bikini weather 9 months out of the year, is crawling with the kind of ass that makes the one on the right the grenade...and has a respectable engineering program.

The rest will take care of itself.

-Scuba
Purdue BSME '99

Bikini weather? Like here:

38868_l.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If your sole purpose in life was to become a regional airline pilot, then I would go to Embry Riddle. eeing that its not, go to Purdue. Get a real college experience.
If your sole purpose in life is to be a regional airline pilot, then definitely go somewhere other than Embry-Riddle.

1. You will be mocked by the non-Riddle pilots for your know-it-all we did it this way at Riddle attitude.

2. Your debt from Riddle will take you 50 years to pay off at regional airline wages.

3. You will need a degree in something real for those times you are furloughed or when you realize regional pilot just don't get paid enough to live on.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
If your sole purpose in life is to be a regional airline pilot, then definitely go somewhere other than Embry-Riddle.

1. You will be mocked by the non-Riddle pilots for your know-it-all we did it this way at Riddle attitude.

2. Your debt from Riddle will take you 50 years to pay off at regional airline wages.

3. You will need a degree in something real for those times you are furloughed or when you realize regional pilot just don't get paid enough to live on.

After thinking about it for a little... your right. #1 and #2 are relative to the individual... BUT......

-the university has recognized that individuals have caused the school's reputation harm because of their actions
-no matter how hard you work you will still be hurting on #2

#3 is undebatable. I have asked this question in class when the discussion turned towards careers and was told "WELL YOUR ONLY WORKING 15 DAYS OUT OF THE MONTH SO YOU NEED TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS." riiiiiiight.......

So education that $100,000+ has been invested in is only good enough to pay for half of what I will need to live comfortably?

Fuck that.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Bikini weather? Like here:

38868_l.jpg
Exactly.

Take heed, kid. Austin should definitely be on the short list.

By the way, if you're seriously thinking about either Aviation Technology or Aerospace Engineering at Purdue, you need to sit down with a guidance counselor who can explain to you the difference.

(The difference is one you sign up for, and the other you sign up for after you fail out of the first one.)

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
WTF... Im disappointed in ERAU. Being in Florida I would figure we would trump Purdue easy.. Then again I guess obviously I am proven wrong and that is a hasty generalization. Sad day for a Florida boy =( Ah well at least we still got hotties at USF

I gotta try to do some research, because alot of ATC's for the FAA come from ERAU and I've seen some very good looking ones going through training while I been out here.

Don't be mistaken, just because ERAU is in Florida does not mean it has the ass that you'll find at FSU/UM/UCF/USF/UF. Completely different type of school. While FSU has something on the order of a 60/40 girl/guy ratio, I've heard Riddle's is something closer to 20/80.

Is that where you want to be? I didn't think so.

My old roommate, now in Corpus, went to Purdue and from stories/pictures I've heard and seen... I promise you'll enjoy your time there more than you would at ERAU if these are your only two choices.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
This isn't hot or not. Stop the pics or the thread is done. Although it seems a bit early to get into another ERAU vs XXXX thread again.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I had a great time at Riddle and had a 'college' experience that I would pit against anyone that went to a state school. How?

a) I lived off campus
b) I went other places to party... Stetson University in Deland (about a 30 min drive away), is a private school stocked to the BRIM with hot, spoiled rich college girls. I think the ratio at that school was 3 or 4 girls to every guy. Going to Deland to meet women isn't even fair. Orlando is absolutely insane 365 days a year with tourists. The Orlando nightlife is unrivaled: Citiwalk (Pleasure Island as well) and highly discounted theme park tickets + discounted hotels = unbelievable nightlife.

I think it depends on your ability to socialize/network and be adventurous. If you are looking for a very nuclear college experience (want to live in a college town, stay there the whole time you are in college etc) then go to a state school or Purdue.

I found the Daytona nightlife decent. It is a popular spring break location, and even other times in the year there are some good places to have a great time (but it can't hold a candle to a big college town).

But is what I really enjoyed about Daytona, was that it was the perfect staging point for other places. Drive south an hour and you are in Canaveral/Cocoa: Cheap weekend Bahama cruises out of here every weekend.

Drive another hour or two south and you are in FT. Lauderdale: $30 ferry ride and you are in the Bahamas for the weekend.

Drive another hour south and you are in Miami: South Beach anyone?

I already mentioned Orlando (about an hour/ hour and a half away from Daytona).

Jacksonville/St. Augustine is an hour or two north (great nightlife, especially St. Augustine).

Gainesville is a little less than two hours away, a college town in the truest sense imaginable (Gatormania).

Tampa and it's awesome nightlife is I think a little over 2 hours away if I recall.

My point is that the possibilities were endless. Every Friday after class we'd drive a couple hours (somewhere new each weekend) and do it up.

As far as the tuition is concerned, you will pay out the ass to go to Riddle. You will pay doubly out the ass if you do the flight program at Riddle. I got an Aviation Management degree and have a couple semesters left on an Aerospace Engineering degree. All of it set me back $80,000. I've been out of college for 2 years, and i've paid off $30,000 with my O1 pay, so I don't know about the whole paying back loans for 50 years business. If you do the flight program (which I don't recommend) it will set you back in the neighborhood of $150k.

I felt like I did get a great education, but at a high price for sure. All in all, I think that the school you go to should be based on your own research and what you feel will be best for you. Read up on each of the schools, go to their websites and look up the rankings for their different degree programs. Look at and weigh the costs associated with each school and go with the one that fits you best.

I have many friends that went to Purdue and enjoyed it. I enjoyed my time in Daytona. To each their own. Good luck to you!

MasterBates

Godspeed, a lot of regional clowns that did the flight program, and they are making $20-30k a year, if they can find work.. Hard to pay off bills when you are making that little.

I graduated in 2001 from another expensive school $106k in the hole, and I am down to $61k after 8 years.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The English Department speaks for itself....

:)

Using the internet on a Blackberry... easier said than done.

The only English class I was required to take consisted of the professor cancelling 1/2 the classes and no learning taking place.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Godspeed, a lot of regional clowns that did the flight program, and they are making $20-30k a year, if they can find work.. Hard to pay off bills when you are making that little.

This is a good point. Military folks are lucky in that we have guaranteed income and some job security.

Take the guy that dumped $150,000 into Riddle for his Aerospace Science degree and flight certs, mix in a shaky at best job market in the airlines, he wont be able to make ends meet (again, why I think that unless you are independantly wealthy, doing the flight program at Riddle is retarded).

To put it bluntly, you won't be able to make ends meet with $150k in student debt working at TGI Fridays after you graduate.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Take the guy that dumped $150,000 into Riddle for his Aerospace Science degree and flight certs, mix in a shaky at best job market in the airlines, he wont be able to make ends meet (again, why I think that unless you are independantly wealthy, doing the flight program at Riddle is retarded).

Flight instructor friend of mine told me that ERAU Daytona got rid of all their part time instructors a couple weeks ago.