• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Embry Riddle V. Purdue

Hey all,

Embry Riddle v. Purdue. I will not be going to either school with the scholarship, but have been in contact with both NROTC units and it looks pretty good for the College Program with the hope of a scholarship later.

I want to go either school for professional flight. On one hand, Embry Riddle will cost about $50,000 a year. I'm not sure about the cost of Purdue yet. Also, Embry Riddle's NROTC unit is very large, and I've heard negative things because of that.

I also have researched and found that many Embry Riddle students are unhappy there and eventually transfer out. Purdue students for the most part seem to be very satisfied with the school. With all of these negatives about Embry Riddle I would probably just go to Purdue.

BUT, Embry Riddle is one of the most respected aviation schools in the country. However, Purdue is a very well respected school in the field as well. With the hopes of being a Navy pilot, would Purdue look worse than Embry Riddle come selection time? Would it be better just to go to Purdue and save a few bucks? Help would be appreciated.

Sorry the thread is so long.

Thanks.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't go to school either place and really don't have an opinion on either one, but if I were in your shoes I would think about my options in case the aviation thing doesn't work. If you know you want an aviation major that's cool and you should definitely pursue it, but think about what you would want to do if flying so longer became not an option. What if after your freshman year or something you get into a car accident and lose a leg? You aren't going to be flying, much less be in the Navy. If that was the case, what would you want to do? Would you still want to be around the aviation industry in something non-flying related, or would you want to do something completely different? I'd say think about that in choosing which school is right for you, among other things. I'll let the Purdue and Riddle kids here discuss the merits of each school, but that's what I'd be thinking about if I were you.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And one other thing, going to Riddle vice Purdue is NOT going to make a difference in the Navy's eyes when it comes to service selection. They care about your grades, your military performance, your PT scores, your major (as in was it engineering/science, not necessarily applicable to aviation), and your CO's impression of you. Moral of the story: a history major with awesome grades, great PT, and all around midshipman awesomeness is going to get an aviation slot over an aviation major mid at ERAU with shitty grades and crappy performance as a mid. Wherever you go and whatever you major in, good performance is what gets you into aviation.

MasterBates

Paying $50k a year to be an "Professional Pilot" major is like paying Alimony when you are just dating the woman.

There are a lot of Part 141 and 61 schools that will get the job done without paying out the ass like Riddle.

And yes, major in something that is useful to being something other than a pilot or baggage chucker.

Purdue would give you more options in the other majors department, and the women situation is better. And better sports and party scene from comparing notes (I'm only familiar with Daytona location, Jobogeywrote8 can chime in on AZ)

Your bio says you are enlisted, a senior in HS, and interning for an airline.

So which one(s) are you?

The recruiter (enlisted) basically gave me the used car salesman routine, and after my father passed in June of last year, enlisting was my answer to doing something big with my life. Shows how much thought I put into it. I got out of DEP after finally locating an Officer recruiter who told me it would be better to go to college first and then go for NROTC without a scholarship and try to earn one, BDCP or OCS.

I'm a senior.. That's why this college stuff is pressing on me, and my internship is over haha.

I have been accepted to Purdue and Embry-Riddle, and actually as of right now I am going to either school with the Aerospace engineering major chosen. That was in case the aviation field dries up, injury, etc. However, I'm considering switching double majoring with professional pilot because I absolutely love flying and if I can't fly for the Navy I want to fly corporate, commercial, etc.

I'm leaning toward Purdue because I have heard I will get more flight hours, better social life, smaller NROTC unit, and some other things.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Go to Purdue! I graduated from there in 2006 and I had a good time. The ROTC unit was good, but with the new CO they have I'm told it has only improved. Purdue is a great school and a degree from there looks good on any resume.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
I didn't go to school either place and really don't have an opinion on either one, but if I were in your shoes I would think about my options in case the aviation thing doesn't work. If you know you want an aviation major that's cool and you should definitely pursue it, but think about what you would want to do if flying so longer became not an option. What if after your freshman year or something you get into a car accident and lose a leg? You aren't going to be flying, much less be in the Navy. If that was the case, what would you want to do? Would you still want to be around the aviation industry in something non-flying related, or would you want to do something completely different? I'd say think about that in choosing which school is right for you, among other things. I'll let the Purdue and Riddle kids here discuss the merits of each school, but that's what I'd be thinking about if I were you.

This is great advice that I wish I would have listened to before I pursued a professional flight degree. You are only one failed medical away from not flying professionally (or worst case at all). Not to mention what can you do with a professional flight degree? No one will hire a low time commercial pilot which is what you will have when you leave most programs and if you get your CFI, those jobs are almost nonexistent right now. NOW, I'm not saying don't get all those ratings, just don't get the flight degree. You can still hold all those ratings and have a business degree or some other 'Plan B'.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd take Purdue over ERAU. I'm an Indiana grad, so it hurts a little to say, but it's a very good school.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So, what you're saying is get a degree in Aerospace Engineering like I am signed up for right now and minor in prof. flight?

Yes, and honestly, unless you're going to get an instrument rating at the very least, I'd forget about the flight all together.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
A "Plan B" degree is smart. It may become your plan A. I started college 20 yrs ago this fall. Check out the changes in the aviation industry since then and expect who knows what from here on out.

Any university/college with a NROTC unit will be viewed the same when it is time for service selection. A well rounded midshipman with a high GPA from Jacksonville University will beat out a well rounded mid from ERAU/Purdue with a lower GPA. No offense intended to my JU brothas.

As far as ERAU vs Purdue...I would choose Purdue. Work on getting the pilot slot. We will teach you how to fly. The PPL/commercial/ATP can come later via equivalency exams and check rides. We fly a certain way and the program is designed for someone with zero flight experience.

FWIW, I retire 12/1/12. I want to fly but I am spending the next 3.5+ yrs deciding what to do if I can't fly (i.e. unexpected injury/health problem, bad economy, etc.).

Pags

N/A
pilot
Purdue. It's a real school. With chicks and parties with chicks at them and all that other stuff that makes real college worthwhile.

Going to school to fly is like going to school to play in the NBA.

nugget81

pilot
So, what you're saying is get a degree in Aerospace Engineering like I am signed up for right now and minor in prof. flight?

Sure, or major in professional flight and minor in whatever you feel like. Honestly, it is your choice and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Some people say that a professional flight degree is worthless, blah blah blah.... If you want to fly, be it for the Navy, corporate, or commercial, and you want to get a college degree while doing it, then do it.

"But the airlines don't pick up low time guys and CFI's can't find work...."
BS. When I graduated in 2006, there were regional airlines that came to my school and hired professional flight majors during their last semester. Most had 250-350 hours, which is normal for a professional flight degree. And guess teaches the aviation students at these schools....that's right--the newly certified CFI's going through the program. So the opportunities are there.

"But the market's bad right now..."
Yep, it is. It's also cyclical. Now's the time to get into training.

Bottom line. Riddle sucks, Purdue is better. I went to UND (North Dakota, not Notre Dame) for professional flight and would do it all over again in a heartbeat, even if I didn't get picked up for BDCP. I love to fly, plain and simple. Also, always have a plan B and even C.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
Sure, or major in professional flight and minor in whatever you feel like. Honestly, it is your choice and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Some people say that a professional flight degree is worthless, blah blah blah.... If you want to fly, be it for the Navy, corporate, or commercial, and you want to get a college degree while doing it, then do it.

"But the airlines don't pick up low time guys and CFI's can't find work...."
BS. When I graduated in 2006, there were regional airlines that came to my school and hired professional flight majors during their last semester. Most had 250-350 hours, which is normal for a professional flight degree. And guess teaches the aviation students at these schools....that's right--the newly certified CFI's going through the program. So the opportunities are there.

"But the market's bad right now..."
Yep, it is. It's also cyclical. Now's the time to get into training.

Bottom line. Riddle sucks, Purdue is better. I went to UND (North Dakota, not Notre Dame) for professional flight and would do it all over again in a heartbeat, even if I didn't get picked up for BDCP. I love to fly, plain and simple. Also, always have a plan B and even C.

These things make a very good point for the plan B option. I love to fly and I am proud of my professional flight degree but trust me, the market is terrible right now even for CFI's. I'm in the hiring pool of CFI's at my alma mater and they just let go 7 instructors with a chance of more getting let go soon. This is really bad, when two years ago guys were getting picked up with 300 total time or less and the ink still wet on their commercial certificate. That is a dangerous situation to as it lures you into thinking you have a secure job at an airline and next thing you know 2008 happens and the airlines furlough and you find yourself without that flight job and no Plan B. I've seen it happen, the cyclical nature of the airlines is what makes the Plan B worth it.

Again if the flight degree is what you want go for it, you will have a solid aviation foundation for whatever route you take. I just want to make you aware of things that did not hit home to me until I was balls deep in flight fees and reality set in.