• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Elite Fighter Squadrons?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Russian and Chinese naval aviators

Chinese carrier guys seem to follow your way on every step now. God bless them to confirm you're right. Ummm, I only doubt it is good enough to eat the flying rations with sticks.

Russian FACs are all-officers, all Air Force, almost all WSOs, all on exchange tour with Army, and all dumb ineffective since there's not a single VVS fighter/attack/bomber/recco squadron CO who is fucking stupid enough to detach his best people on such a tour, so instead the worst ones go. When the national armed forces have only one winged crown it means the branches with no such crown will endure on fumes...

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

Gosh, in some ways the USAF/ANG A-10 units could be considered "elite". Hog is the tough airplane surviving all king of battles (literally, including much more often turf struggles) and its pilots' ethos I think is mostly described by old Fulda Gap saying "No matter how much aerial kills you bag in this sortie when there are Soviet tank drivers chewing your sandwiches at your base when you are to land". This aircraft brought the scent of "elite" to USAF though in different manner than all that MiG-killers stuff.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gosh, in some ways the USAF/ANG A-10 units could be considered "elite". Hog is the tough airplane surviving all king of battles (literally, including much more often turf struggles) and its pilots' ethos I think is mostly described by old Fulda Gap saying "No matter how much aerial kills you bag in this sortie when there are Soviet tank drivers chewing your sandwiches at your base when you are to land". This aircraft brought the scent of "elite" to USAF though in different manner than all that MiG-killers stuff.
Sounds like you’ve been talking to Martha McSally. She’s a fighter pilot’s fighter pilot.

Max the Mad Russian

Sounds like you’ve been talking to Martha McSally

With all due respect, I dont't believe women in uniform. Maybe due to the Iron Maiden song:p

Pathetically, from the Friedman etc "British and American aircraft carrier development 1919-1939" book, there just couldn't be such thing as elitism in US naval aviation since the founders (Reeves, Moffat, Laning and so on) were all blackest shoe admirals with the only claim to aviators in naval uniform: imagine, make and perform something useful for our battle fleet, the more the better. The careful calculus, evaluations and tests became the mainstream for wings of gold bearers. Blaze of glory and broad people's attention, which both are in the core of any elitism, all went to Army Air Coprs just like for Cavalry from the Civil War age. If those tends were still valid three decades after, even the WWII victory brought more attention to Army pilots, and given their separation from parental service in couple of years, they were. In effect, the first hint on elitism now rooted in NavAir came with TopGun movie and it went to naval fighter jocks, but for all of them as a whole community, and along with recruiting burst it brought the Vietnam wounds consealment. Note - that all was pathetical:D But eventually, it is better to look for elitism in USAF I think, and even better - in RAF and Luftwaffe. It is there the parade rest is a tactical skill. Navy works instead?