• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Elite Fighter Squadrons?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have already decided that if I am going to throw more money into the bottomless pit that is aircraft ownership my next buy will be a helicopter.

Be careful of the Robinson R22 and R44. I’m told they don’t fly like other helicopters and will kill you if you try to fly them like others. I think the FAA requires special training for them but guys who fly other types too crash Robinson’s quite often.

jmcquate

Contributor
Brochure for the Viper says it's wired for Link 16 and JDAMs................so you'll have that going for ya.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Be careful of the Robinson R22 and R44. I’m told they don’t fly like other helicopters and will kill you if you try to fly them like others. I think the FAA requires special training for them but guys who fly other types too crash Robinson’s quite often.
Actually, they fly like many recip helos used to fly. But it is true you need to watch a FAA approved video, and get an endorsement to simply touch the controls. Most commercial operators and rental outfits remove the left hand controls so pax are not tempted. I got about an hour in an R22. The video makes every effort to show you how to die in a Robinson. I was left wondering how many people walk away to never return. Still, it is well understood, if you learned in an R22 you will be able to transition to most anything. I certainly found it much more challenging then the OH-58, the only other helicopter I have a decent amount of stick time in.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually, they fly like many recip helos used to fly. But it is true you need to watch a FAA approved video, and get an endorsement to simply touch the controls. Most commercial operators and rental outfits remove the left hand controls so pax are not tempted. I got about an hour in an R22. The video makes every effort to show you how to die in a Robinson. I was left wondering how many people walk away to never return. Still, it is well understood, if you learned in an R22 you will be able to transition to most anything. I certainly found it much more challenging then the OH-58, the only other helicopter I have a decent amount of stick time in.

When I was an instructor for Bristow, we had a number of new pilots whose only previous experience was in Robinsons. They excelled in power management as the piston engined R-22/44 makes a Bell LongRanger seem powerful. Several characteristics of the Robinson can be very problematic if you are not ready for it. It has an underslung rotor system (like many Bell's) which when unloaded can impact the mast and have the rotors depart the aircraft (mast bumping). A bigger factor is the low inertia rotor system is in the event of an engine failure, you have 1 1/2 seconds to get the collective down or the rotor speed (NR) slows down so fast it is unrecoverable. Now that I think of it, I don't know of any other helicopters that combine an underslung rotor system with a low inertia rotor system.

As to Griz thinking about gettting a helicopter - fun but a lot of maintenance. What about an autogyro?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With all due respect, I dont't believe women in uniform. Maybe due to the Iron Maiden song:p

Pathetically, from the Friedman etc "British and American aircraft carrier development 1919-1939" book, there just couldn't be such thing as elitism in US naval aviation since the founders (Reeves, Moffat, Laning and so on) were all blackest shoe admirals with the only claim to aviators in naval uniform: imagine, make and perform something useful for our battle fleet, the more the better. The careful calculus, evaluations and tests became the mainstream for wings of gold bearers. Blaze of glory and broad people's attention, which both are in the core of any elitism, all went to Army Air Coprs just like for Cavalry from the Civil War age. If those tends were still valid three decades after, even the WWII victory brought more attention to Army pilots, and given their separation from parental service in couple of years, they were. In effect, the first hint on elitism now rooted in NavAir came with TopGun movie and it went to naval fighter jocks, but for all of them as a whole community, and along with recruiting burst it brought the Vietnam wounds consealment. Note - that all was pathetical:D But eventually, it is better to look for elitism in USAF I think, and even better - in RAF and Luftwaffe. It is there the parade rest is a tactical skill. Navy works instead?
Pretty sure this would be a word salad even if you could speak proper English.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I have already decided that if I am going to throw more money into the bottomless pit that is aircraft ownership my next buy will be a helicopter.
Inquiring minds must know...what are you looking at? Robby? Enstrom? Schweizer? Or are you going all out with a turbine??? ?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Inquiring minds must know...what are you looking at? Robby? Enstrom? Schweizer? Or are you going all out with a turbine??? ?
Cabri G2 is a nice option. But if we are talking value, autogyro is a great option. Some very comfortable good looking options these days. Way less expensive then a helo.

Scimitarze

Automated Member
It's true to a degree. When I did my intro flight in the R22 (would be the same in 44 or 66) we had to do a required 30 minute ground session and endorsement over SFAR 73 awareness and covered what Randy said, the susceptibly of low-G induced mast bumping from turbulence and cyclic pushovers along with the unforgiving RRPM decay in the event of an engine failure due to the extremely low inertia rotor system in the 22 (I've heard you have a good 2 or 3 more seconds available in the 44 and 66 from the CFIs). On top of that you have a FAA hour minimum of 20 hr dual in the R22 before you can solo as PIC and are limited by wind speed (>25 kts) and gust spread (>10 kts) when when you are under 200 hrs in the 22 and 44.

That being said it's a really simple machine and my FBO swears on the 22 and 44 for everything from flight instruction to survey work to deer capture. The CFIs we have that have trusted their life to Robbys for years said as long as you know that your ship is in top shape, know the weather and air around you, and never let your hand off the collective when you aren't messing with radios and GPS, it'll bring you back to the ground in one piece.