• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Elite Fighter Squadrons?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
ChiccinTendies said:
I've read that most, if not all in VFC-12 are TOPGUN grads, but I'm guessing it's a different situation for them since they're adversaries.

I did two tours in VFC-12 with a wing tour in between as a TAR (now FTS) in the '80's, and at that time all 6 of us TAR's and probably about 90% of the SELRES had been through the adversary course at NFWS. Guessing it's probably still about the same.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
It was asked specifically about TACAIR/AF Fighter guys.
Yeah I know. But 160th used as an example is Not pointy nose. Generally, ADM James Stavridis, though Shoe But with joint experience, had pointed out that it is better to pay an attention to the training and education of FAC, JTAC, ANGLICO etc than to claim something special from TacAir aircrews. To him, it should be O (not E), NA/NFO with good time in the common CAS airframe and educated as such from the scratch, right after being winged or even maybe before that.

C
Yeah I know. But 160th used as an example is Not pointy nose. Generally, ADM James Stavridis, though Shoe But with joint experience, had pointed out that it is better to pay an attention to the training and education of FAC, JTAC, ANGLICO etc than to claim something special from TacAir aircrews. To him, it should be O (not E), NA/NFO with good time in the common CAS airframe and educated as such from the scratch, right after being winged or even maybe before that.
Could you provide a source for that?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But 160th used as an example is Not pointy nose.

Yes, by someone who doesn't even understand what exactly he's asking.

Generally, ADM James Stavridis, though Shoe...To him, it should be O (not E), NA/NFO with good time in the common CAS airframe and educated as such from the scratch, right after being winged or even maybe before that.

That statement completely contradicts itself.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of some interesting history:

Contracting out certain aspects can be in the fiduciary best interest of the country. That 204 million dollar contract can (and did) go away overnight. DOD got a very niche need filled overnight and when it went away overnight it cost zero dollars. What military unit do you know of that can say that? They usually cost less to employ because they are profit driven. Sure they may have guys making $1k a day, but how many extra maintainers, YN's, PS's, etc. do you think they take when they deploy? Exactly the number that it takes to get the job done and not a single person more. Because to do so would hurt their bottom line on the contract. Employees go in to contracting knowing that the hand that feeds them may not even acknowledge they exist tomorrow. Thats the flip side for those guys. It's not a stable career. Be smart with the money you're making until the music stops, because it will stop.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought my use of the word "analogous" would make my post more clear.

That part was very clear. It was the overall subject where the issue was. But as you said, you were asking about something you didn't know anything about. There's nothing wrong with that. Just keep in mind that Max gets a lot more wrong than he does right when quoting how the U.S. Navy "works."

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I've read that most, if not all in VFC-12 are TOPGUN grads, but I'm guessing it's a different situation for them since they're adversaries.

Dude, they're adversaries. They want guys that have gone to a school to be adversaries. I don't see what you're still not getting. Top Gun is a school. They have a class that teaches you to pretend to be a bad guy. They don't give out trophies for the best pilot and the list of the alternates isn't in the ladies room. Luck, timing, and ability are what get you sent there. If VFC-12 were to have a different mission they probably would have fewer TG adversary grads.