• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

MasterBates

Sat on AMB. Used Android tablet in cockpit. No issues.

From an engineering standpoint, it's not an issue. From someone who is an EW Level VI/V Jedi Master, I'd expect you to understand the physics behind interference issues a little better.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sat on AMB. Used Android tablet in cockpit. No issues.

From an engineering standpoint, it's not an issue. From someone who is an EW Level VI/V Jedi Master, I'd expect you to understand the physics behind interference issues a little better.
Never implied EMI ws an issue. There's more to this than the iPad being a causal factor in a mishap. Like I said, we've been down this road before.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm just curious how we all get to decide which IFCs we should comply with and which ones are OK to ignore. Hell, if this is going to open up some previously prohibited possibilities for me in the jet, maybe we could extend your methodology to sections of my community's SOP or even NATOPS.

Perhaps I've judged you prematurely, and for that, I appologize.

phrogpilot73

I'm just curious how we all get to decide which IFCs we should comply with and which ones are OK to ignore. Hell, if this is going to open up some previously prohibited possibilities for me in the jet, maybe we could extend your methodology to sections of my community's SOP or even NATOPS.

Perhaps I've judged you prematurely, and for that, I appologize.
Because you don't always know all the facts, even though you pontificate as though you do.

1. IFCs are generally generated in response to a company who has developed something and thinks that NAVAIR might be able to use it. NAVAIR grants it an interim IFC to test at one the HX/VX squadrons. The other way an IFC is generated is via fleet demand. How do you get fleet demand without an IFC? I don't know - that's a chicken/egg argument. We were flying with non-IFC vests in Iraq, and shortly after I returned an interim IFC was issued. How/why would they issue it? Because of fleet demand.

2. Does the Garmin GPS Map 696 have an IFC? Nope, only an interim - and only for OT squadrons. Yet we were ISSUED them by NAVAIR. Odd... Here's a little bit of info - you don't have to be an HX/VX squadron to do OT.

3. When we queried NAVAIR about why our GPS Map 696 were no longer being updated? Their response - because we're going to be getting iPads.

4. When further queried, NAVAIR said that fleet demand has signaled an expansion to the currently limited IFC. Shortly thereafter NGA released the iOS software on the CDs.

5. Our PMA has told us that funds are limiting the amount of iPads that can be purchased, but that we can use our personal iPads in the cockpit as a means of OT - to further increased the demand signal from the fleet for iPads as replacements to paper charts.

6. Further, our PMA told us that squadrons can use 7F funds to purchase multiple iPads for the squadron, but maintenance/etc... is up to the squadron to figure out (since it involves a network connection that NMCI won't allow at the present time).

I also asked the PMA/NAVAIR rep about the limited IFC - and their response was that if something isn't strictly prohibited in NATOPS/OPNAV/SOPs then we are allowed to use it in the cockpit - until we're told otherwise. The guy even said "how do you think we get a fleet demand IFC". I asked him about the vests and his response was "they weren't prohibited, but we did briefly to give us time to test them for fire retardance, etc, then you saw the IFC granted."

So, that, in a nutshell is why I fly with a iPad in the cockpit knowing full well that I'm "playing with fire".

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, I'm with you. I'm glad you have a special hook up. So, does this apply to all TMS and we can now ignore the current IFC?

jtmedli

pilot
Sounds good, but lemme ask you: Aside from a cross-country, when did you ever need four approach plates and ten charts in the aircraft, much less the cockpit? iProducts may be a good solution for fast-movers, especially those with very cramped cockpits, but I'm not convinced that they're the right answer for helicopters...yet.....

My main point was ease of use compared to paper charts. Everything is a touch away and charts dont have to be folded/unfolded. We can still bring all those paper pubs for when the Ipad shits the bed, but stick them in the back of the helo and let the crew chief toss them up when needed. Just like falling back on a tacan approach when the GPS goes out (for the a/c that actually have one).

That being said, I'm still in the 'training command' (for the moment) so I'll keep my bright ideas filtered and limited for the time being.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My main point was ease of use compared to paper charts. Everything is a touch away and charts dont have to be folded/unfolded. We can still bring all those paper pubs for when the Ipad shits the bed, but stick them in the back of the helo and let the crew chief toss them up when needed. Just like falling back on a tacan approach when the GPS goes out (for the a/c that actually have one).

That being said, I'm still in the 'training command' (for the moment) so I'll keep my bright ideas filtered and limited for the time being.
I think the bottom line here for everyone is, do what is legal to do in your aircraft.