• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

jtmedli

pilot
What do you mean by GPS link? Are you talking about a peripheral GPS like bad elf, or the GPS that is integrated in the 3G/4G chip?

I'm pretty sure that number is associated with the internal GPS. The external bad elf ones are supposed to work even better.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'd love to try it out. I think the e-pubs/plates are obviously helpful but there is much utility in moving map (that SHOULD be in our bird) and a lot more versatility for a non-flying pilot or crewman in the TERF environment (sort of like a DMK/BFT, except.... one that works, and works well).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just wish we could get JOGs/1:50's for foreflight. That would be sweet.

If you register through the site that Brett and I were talking about, you can get all the alphabet soup charts (other than sectionals) and put them on your iPad. I'm not smart on how they're read within the OS, but they tell you how on the site.

@Otto,

I've been told that the common cockpit is getting a moving map "soon." I have no idea if that means in a year or 3.

SemperGumby

I don't think he meant in-flight, but if you want in-flight weather, there's ADS-B

http://www.foreflight.com/stratus
I was giving that some serious consideration but I've read a few poor reviews on the stratus unit and $800 for the stratus plus $500 for the ipad is a lot.
I'm really trying to find out at what altitude an iPad with 3/4G will lose signal, not that it would be on in flight, just a point of curiosity, obviously.

phrogpilot73

I'm really trying to find out at what altitude an iPad with 3/4G will lose signal, not that it would be on in flight, just a point of curiosity, obviously.
In my limited experience with my iPad (1st Gen) and my iPhone 4, I have noticed that my iPad gets a better signal than my iPhone. If that's the case, I think I'll maintain a pretty good signal at standard helo altitudes. I say this based on the fact that I've checked the WX using my iPhone at standard helo altitudes...

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
If you register through the site that Brett and I were talking about, you can get all the alphabet soup charts (other than sectionals) and put them on your iPad. I'm not smart on how they're read within the OS, but they tell you how on the site.

@Otto,

I've been told that the common cockpit is getting a moving map "soon." I have no idea if that means in a year or 3.

90 series is supposed to come with the moving map. We're getting 86 series, JMPS and the hand unit (to replace the replace the mouse stick/PKs) now. When I was at PAX for JMPS training the word on 90 series was a year to year and a half out. Im sure a VX-1 rotorhead or someone with more knowledge than myself can confirm.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
90 series is supposed to come with the moving map. We're getting 86 series, JMPS and the hand unit (to replace the replace the mouse stick/PKs) now. When I was at PAX for JMPS training the word on 90 series was a year to year and a half out. Im sure a VX-1 rotorhead or someone with more knowledge than myself can confirm.

Romeos are supposed to get -86 and JMPS this/next month. I can't wait. I'm sure it's a paradigm shift. I just want a "FIX" button.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I was impressed with the aggressive rollout for software updates. Having common cockpit across both our new helos sure does give economies of scale.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

@Otto,

Which means I'll likely never see it. I'm curious to see how our squadron integrates Ipad capability. My (and the OP's old) squadron CO has banned personal Ipads and will only allow command-purchased ones with no other capability than weather/FLIPS, so we'll see how long that takes to figure out. Good luck, future tactics Officer....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, look at the IFC. It's pretty limited on what you can legaly use an iPad for in flight