• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

TonyK

Here are the names that I received as selected (sorry only got last names): Alcon, Amaya, Byus, Cuzzort, Hatcher, Lee, McKneely, Natale, Ortiz Velazquez, Smith, Trusty, Willis, Yim.

I did not make it. My understanding is that 12 out of 175 were selected. I am being re-submitted for the July 2010 Board but I don't know what that means.

Congratulations to all that did make it. Quite an achievement in my estimation.

TonyK

And sorry for the delay in posting. I was actually out of the country until late Saturday night.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Age challenged...

Don't worry abut your age. My recruiter told me when he went to DCO school there was a non prior service man who was 50 in his class. He said his narrative was the compelling reason he thought he got in because his son died in service and wanted to honor him by also serving in the Navy as an officer. If they Navy thinks they can use you, your age will be a minor factor. I know for me this time, if I make it they are going to have to kick me out at age 60. I have heard many other stories of selecties well in their late 40's.

An interesting observation. Like you, I'm pretty deep in both academics and professional industry experience. I'm presently 48, prior service USAF, and applied for the IP community last March at 47 but was out of PFA spec (much better this year - BCA is within spec, weight is close). I'm applying again this year for the same community (since I'm an InfoSec professional, a critically manned community), but the community manager initally said no to the age waiver (need 4+ now). I discussed it with them, and shared some of RADM John Cotton's (former CO Naval Reserve Forces until 2007) comments on how he believes age should not be a factor, so long as there is a relevant and useful skill set, and the candidate passes PRT. Got them to agree to 'kick it upstairs' to be reconsidered. Haven't heard anything, and have requested a face to face in Millington to present my case. Still waiting. And I'll have to waive retirement, since the best tenure I can make (if accepted this pass) is 14 years.

The general response by MEPS (to me) has been that even with all my credentials, I'm supposedly not competitive against a 20-something with a Bachelor's degree and little to no experience, simply because they don't require a waiver. Period. My thought process has been, if Navy instructions on age were carved in stone, there wouldn't be a waiver process in the first place. And the DON CIO's office is set on acquiring READY skill sets and industry credentials. So - once more, unto the breach...

Unless that 50 year old was Legal, Medical or Chaplaincy, I'd like to know how they pulled it off.

R/

John M. Schneider, M.Sc. CINS, CISSP, ITILv3
Naval Education Training Command / N6
Information Assurance Officer
NS Great Lakes
Great Lakes, IL

Devil Duck

The story referenced above I believe is that of Bill Krissoff, the 61 year old surgeon who became a LDCR Naval Reserve doctor. His was quite a special case that required intervention of the President. Definitely an exception to the rule. That said, there are always exceptions.

Stretch_gh

I found out that my package wasn't even sent to the January board even though I was assured that everything was good to go. I got a new recruiter and we'll try again in July.

TonyK

Stretch, others...long time, no chat. I have checked back with my recruiter who heard at a meeting in Atlanta that they are supposed to select 70+ out of a total of 200+ applicants at the July 2010 Board for Supply. Anyone heard anything differently? I hope all are well.

TonyK

Yes, my recruiter is telling me the same number. Does anyone know the date in July of the Board? I also was around for the last Board. Best of luck to all.

Stretch_gh

I met with a Commander in DC yesterday and he mentioned that he thought they may select around 100 but my recruiter thought it would be 70 max.

kbright31

Tomorrow is the day it all begins for those who have submitted. This makes my third/fourth application. 2 active duty, 1 in January (rolled to Jul board) and now.
Former active duty AE2(AW) 5 years. Current LS2(AW) Reserves 1.5 years. No AE billets available in Reserves.
35 years old.
4 interviews. 1 from LCDR, 2 CDR's, and 1 CAPT. All were excellent write ups.
MBA with 3.78 GPA and BS with 2.8 GPA
3 EP evals and 1 MP eval.
Current Unit Career Counselor and Training LPO.
ASTB 52 6/6/6
LOR's from Active Duty LT, Retired Army Major, Former CO and XO, two current employer supervisors.
Outstanding Low-High PRT's for entire Navy career.
Hopefully persistence will pay off.