• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

rwalz001

Received paper mail with the form letter from the Rear Admiral who was president of the selection board and a powerpoint printout with community info the other day.

Has anyone been asked by their recruiter to fill out or sign anything yet?
I received the paper work as well. My recruiter told me that they will start the process by last name. I have to wait since my last name starts with W.

rwalz001

Congratulations to everyone too. I have a Post Masters in Leadership & Accountability, Masters in Educational Technology, B.S. in Liberal Studies with a minor in Information Security and a A.AS. in General Technology. Did I forget to mention I'm almost complete my PhD. I have 15 plus years in Evironmental Engineering and Logistics and I'm currently serving in the Navy Reserve as a Petty Officer with last EVAL of EP. Not sure if I can help you be more competitive, guess we both just have to apply again. I should have more PQS by then. Dont feel bad and dont give up, i wont. Maybe I'll be ranked up about time the next board meet.
Don't give up and try again!

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Go for Lean 6 while you’re at it. Or contracting certifications

Contracting certs, such as DAWIA, are impossible unless you are a .gov or contractor working in contracting (1102 job field). These certs are extremely hard to get even as a reservist working for DCMA (it takes years of FT work to get a cert, not something you are going to get 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/year). Not to discourage anyone, but there are other things you can do to to improve your chances (education, job change, volunteer work, networking and mentorship, etc).

Rudy.30

Congrats to those selected! I was selected in 2019 so I have been to ODS and am in the middle of BQC now so feel free to reach out with any questions and I will be happy to help.

TheClyde

Congrats to those selected! I was selected in 2019 so I have been to ODS and am in the middle of BQC now so feel free to reach out with any questions and I will be happy to help.
Thanks @Rudy.30 - few questions for you
  • How long did it take for your to get your comissioning documents?
  • What has drill weekend consisted of so far? Are you doing "real work"/have a role, or just your own administrative stuff?
  • Anything in ODS that you thought was particularly hard or annoying? Did you get much sleep?
  • Assuming you are in BQC-NR? How big is the class? Are there non DCOs in the class?

Rudy.30

Thanks @Rudy.30 - few questions for you
  • How long did it take for your to get your comissioning documents?
  • What has drill weekend consisted of so far? Are you doing "real work"/have a role, or just your own administrative stuff?
  • Anything in ODS that you thought was particularly hard or annoying? Did you get much sleep?
  • Assuming you are in BQC-NR? How big is the class? Are there non DCOs in the class?

I am non prior military so this might be different for priors or those already in.

1 - Depends on when you are scheduled to commission. IF you are FY22 then it will be after October 1st before you get them. If they get some of you to commission in FY21 then it will be sooner. Try not to worry about this though. Things take a lot of time in the Navy and you should get use to waiting longer than you think..
2- This depends on the unit you are attached to and the OIC over that unit. I personally do not do much on DWE's. Once you get into BQC that is your main focus and they are not really suppose to assign you work. The 1st 4 DWE's will be paperwork, GMT's, and Medical. Again this will depend on your unit so I would not be surprised if some will comment on this saying how busy they are. I am not busy whatsoever so take it for what you will.
3- My ODS experience will be different from yours because I had a 2 week ROM at the beginning. My recommendation is to find someone that has been recently and ask them but I guarantee it will be different from class to class. You will get sleep yes so don't worry about that. Overall I am glad I went to ODS vs DCOIC.
4- We have 12 in our BQC class and all are reserve DCO's.

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I am non prior military so this might be different for priors or those already in.

1 - Depends on when you are scheduled to commission. IF you are FY22 then it will be after October 1st before you get them. If they get some of you to commission in FY21 then it will be sooner. Try not to worry about this though. Things take a lot of time in the Navy and you should get use to waiting longer than you think..
2- This depends on the unit you are attached to any the OIC over that unit. I personally do not do much on DWE's. Once you get into BQC that is your main focus and they are not really suppose to assign you work. The 1st 4 DWE's will be paperwork, GMT's, and Medical. Again this will depend on your unit so I would not be surprised if some will comment on this saying how busy they are. I am not busy whatsoever so take it for what you will.
3- My ODS experience will be different from yours because I had a 2 week ROM at the beginning. My recommendation is to find someone that has been recently and ask them but I guarantee it will be different from class to class. You will get sleep yes so don't worry about that. Overall I am glad I went to ODS vs DCOIC.
4- We have 12 in our BQC class and all are reserve DCO's.

12! That's double what we had.

and I'll foot stomp what Rudy said for #2. As a BQC student you shouldn't be doing anything "extra" you're #1 focus is BQC and getting through that. GMTs, medical and urinalysis is a given, but no department head level work while a student.

JH8

JH
You also need to consider, selection for all DCO designators is extremely competitive. For years it was sub 10% selection rates, that is more competitive than some Ivy League schools. With such a large pool of candidates (relatively speaking) the board can be very selective when making their decision.

However, all is not lost! You can apply again, but you're right, you need to show some level of improvement the second time. There are opportunities to volunteer, get additional education/certification and I say even seek out people via LinkedIn who are reserve SUPPOs (CDR or CAPT) and start networking. Lastly, sometimes the board thought you were competitive, but just didn't make the cut this time and want to see you, or any applicant, apply again. That last sentence was told to me by my recruiter just before I was selected on my second time around.
This is all very helpful, thank you!

RJS

Contracting certs, such as DAWIA, are impossible unless you are a .gov or contractor working in contracting (1102 job field). These certs are extremely hard to get even as a reservist working for DCMA (it takes years of FT work to get a cert, not something you are going to get 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/year). Not to discourage anyone, but there are other things you can do to to improve your chances (education, job change, volunteer work, networking and mentorship, etc).

I can attest to this. Not sure what your aspirations are but, if you’d like to enter into a new career field you would have to find job postings listed as GS-1102-7-9-11. Unfortunately, it takes a year to obtain each certification level. I am Level II Certified and am working to reach Level III. If not, I’m thinking about obtaining the CFCM certification to diversify my profile. Even when getting the CFCM, you would still need a minimum of 5 years of contracting experience.

naro80

Nothing yet. You heard anything?
I have not. I spoke to my DCO Program Regional Manager today and he asked me to follow up with my OR. I checked with my OR today and he said he hasn't received anything. But then again he's new and wasn't very responsive or great at follow up throughout the whole application process so I'm worried he might not be right on it once they do come in. Glad to hear others are still waiting too.