• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
@exNavyOffRec Can you get confirmation that 35 selectees is accurate?

Cause for the increased selection # could come down to manning. For a while we were overmanned at the O4 level as more people exited AC and entered SelRes and we had all these SelRes they brought on during the last 10yrs. With the drawdown in the ME, DCO selection rates have fallen (it was in the teens) along with a reduction in the # of selection boards (from 2 down to 1 annually) and the overmanning issues has resolved itself.

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec Can you get confirmation that 35 selectees is accurate?

Cause for the increased selection # could come down to manning. For a while we were overmanned at the O4 level as more people exited AC and entered SelRes and we had all these SelRes they brought on during the last 10yrs. With the drawdown in the ME, DCO selection rates have fallen (it was in the teens) along with a reduction in the # of selection boards (from 2 down to 1 annually) and the overmanning issues has resolved itself.
When the list is posted that is how to confirm, the increase number could be if they are not going back to 2 boards a year as NRC had planned, if the board didn't realize that then the increase could be due to miscommunication, on another document it should this year FY 21 was still short, so if some of these 35 get pushed to commission in the next 6 weeks that would be another reason.

rwalz001

Im extremely happy! I found out that the board recommended me for selection. Now pending a background check. Im hoping everything goes well. Im very HAPPY. It is a dream come true =)

Reactions: RJS

rwalz001

To all the newly selected Supply DCOs, CONGRATS! If you have any questions on what to expect please reach out. I was in your same shoes years ago, full of excitement and anxiety about what do I do next!

I was selected. Can you give me advise on what to expect next? Ho long until I get pinned? Do I have to buy uniforms before going there?

naro80

I was selected. Can you give me advise on what to expect next? Ho long until I get pinned? Do I have to buy uniforms before going there?
Yeah. I was wondering the same. My OR said I got selected but that official list is not out yet. Didn't mentioned much about next steps. Any info you can provide ABMD will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ABMD

Well, be prepared for more waiting! Your RRA has FINSEL has to come in (arrive at your OR) and be signed, by you. This could take several more months. I believe when I was selected (July board years ago) I didn't get my FINSEL and RRA until Sept-Oct. Once that is done, you can plan your commissioning after Oct. 1 (the new Fiscal Year). Your commissioning can be at the ORs office with just the 2 of you, or you can plan your own ceremony, it's your commissioning do what you want.

Once you commission, you will start to drill. You will need a CAC to get your uniforms so your first drill weekend may be in civilian professional attire. Chances are, you will have been contacted by your regional sponsor by now who will help you find a "local" unit with other JOs to help you get through BQC. Local could mean anywhere within driving distance, I drove 90 miles for my first unit. Once you start drilling your next step is to gain a quota, or spot, at ODS - 5 weeks in Newport, RI. You can also start to look for the next BQC class and work with your sponsor to get a quota for that too. Pro-tip, Newport is much more pleasant in the late Spring and Summer. Chances are, based on backlog at ODS you may be enjoying your first 5 weeks of Newport in the Winter, embrace the suck.

Reactions: RJS

exNavyOffRec

Well, be prepared for more waiting! Your RRA has FINSEL has to come in (arrive at your OR) and be signed, by you. This could take several more months. I believe when I was selected (July board years ago) I didn't get my FINSEL and RRA until Sept-Oct. Once that is done, you can plan your commissioning after Oct. 1 (the new Fiscal Year). Your commissioning can be at the ORs office with just the 2 of you, or you can plan your own ceremony, it's your commissioning do what you want.

Once you commission, you will start to drill. You will need a CAC to get your uniforms so your first drill weekend may be in civilian professional attire. Chances are, you will have been contacted by your regional sponsor by now who will help you find a "local" unit with other JOs to help you get through BQC. Local could mean anywhere within driving distance, I drove 90 miles for my first unit. Once you start drilling your next step is to gain a quota, or spot, at ODS - 5 weeks in Newport, RI. You can also start to look for the next BQC class and work with your sponsor to get a quota for that too. Pro-tip, Newport is much more pleasant in the late Spring and Summer. Chances are, based on backlog at ODS you may be enjoying your first 5 weeks of Newport in the Winter, embrace the suck.
I have also seen it where a person is called and given very short notice to commission fast because something happened and they are close to Oct 1 and want to make goal.

ABMD

I have no insight on ODS, since I did the old DCOIC. What I can say, is prepare for more classroom time, some marching and formation drills and learning how to follow directions. Whatever you do, don't point, laugh or otherwise draw attention to the OCS students when in the cow hall. That is, unless you want to get a nice grilling by the Chiefs Mess.

JH8

JH
Congratulations to all that were selected! I found out today that I did not make the cut. My OR said I will need to show initiative and improvement if I reapply for the board next year so that my packet is more competitive (and not just re-submit the same packet). Any ideas on how to do so? Online classes or certifications? I have an undergrad industrial engineering/supply chain degree (Cornell), masters of engineering (Cornell), MBA (NYU) and 15yrs of work experience in the financial industry. Just not sure what kinds of things to do to have a better shot next year. Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated!