• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

Lemwolf

Congratulations to everyone too. I have a Post Masters in Leadership & Accountability, Masters in Educational Technology, B.S. in Liberal Studies with a minor in Information Security and a A.AS. in General Technology. Did I forget to mention I'm almost complete my PhD. I have 15 plus years in Evironmental Engineering and Logistics and I'm currently serving in the Navy Reserve as a Petty Officer with last EVAL of EP. Not sure if I can help you be more competitive, guess we both just have to apply again. I should have more PQS by then. Dont feel bad and dont give up, i wont. Maybe I'll be ranked up about time the next board meet.

Last edited:
Reactions: JH8

TheClyde

Congratulations to all that were selected! I found out today that I did not make the cut. My OR said I will need to show initiative and improvement if I reapply for the board next year so that my packet is more competitive (and not just re-submit the same packet). Any ideas on how to do so? Online classes or certifications? I have an undergrad industrial engineering/supply chain degree (Cornell), masters of engineering (Cornell), MBA (NYU) and 15yrs of work experience in the financial industry. Just not sure what kinds of things to do to have a better shot next year. Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated!
You didn't mention any non-work leadership experience. Is that something you have? If not there is an opportunity to improve.
Motivational statement - why do you want to serve in the supply corps? What specific characteristics so you bring to the corps?
Interviews - did you interview with two Selres supply O-6s? What feedback did you get on your interviews?

exNavyOffRec

Congratulations to all that were selected! I found out today that I did not make the cut. My OR said I will need to show initiative and improvement if I reapply for the board next year so that my packet is more competitive (and not just re-submit the same packet). Any ideas on how to do so? Online classes or certifications? I have an undergrad industrial engineering/supply chain degree (Cornell), masters of engineering (Cornell), MBA (NYU) and 15yrs of work experience in the financial industry. Just not sure what kinds of things to do to have a better shot next year. Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated!
Did you have good GPA's, they aren't as important for DCO but if they are below a certain point it stands out.

It could also be your work isn't close enough for them to consider it relevant or not relevant enough.

JH8

JH
You didn't mention any non-work leadership experience. Is that something you have? If not there is an opportunity to improve.
Motivational statement - why do you want to serve in the supply corps? What specific characteristics so you bring to the corps?
Interviews - did you interview with two Selres supply O-6s? What feedback did you get on your interviews?

I think the non-work leadership experience is an area I can improve upon. I have some but much of it isn't recent. I received good feedback from both of my interviewers. They are also helping me improve my packet for next time around. Thanks!

TheClyde

I think the non-work leadership experience is an area I can improve upon. I have some but much of it isn't recent. I received good feedback from both of my interviewers. They are also helping me improve my packet for next time around. Thanks!
Were the interviews with O-6 suppos in the reserves?

JH8

JH
I'm not sure their exact levels, but both were Reserve Supply Corps Officers, one a CAPT and one a CDR. Both with 15+yrs in the Reserves.

TheClyde

I'm not sure their exact levels, but both were Reserve Supply Corps Officers, one a CAPT and one a CDR. Both with 15+yrs in the Reserves.
Very good (Capt is 0-6, CDR 0-5). Having two CAPTs is even better but not a big deal. Sometimes people end up interviewing with non-reserve Suppos, or FTS Suppos, and its important that your interviewers are SELRES Suppos.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
You also need to consider, selection for all DCO designators is extremely competitive. For years it was sub 10% selection rates, that is more competitive than some Ivy League schools. With such a large pool of candidates (relatively speaking) the board can be very selective when making their decision.

However, all is not lost! You can apply again, but you're right, you need to show some level of improvement the second time. There are opportunities to volunteer, get additional education/certification and I say even seek out people via LinkedIn who are reserve SUPPOs (CDR or CAPT) and start networking. Lastly, sometimes the board thought you were competitive, but just didn't make the cut this time and want to see you, or any applicant, apply again. That last sentence was told to me by my recruiter just before I was selected on my second time around.

exNavyOffRec

Do you know how they scored you? 10's or 9's?

exNavyOffRec

Very good (Capt is 0-6, CDR 0-5). Having two CAPTs is even better but not a big deal. Sometimes people end up interviewing with non-reserve Suppos, or FTS Suppos, and its important that your interviewers are SELRES Suppos.
The panel our NRD had was the OIC of local Reserve Supply (CDR then he promoted to CAPT), and then 2 LCDR's, our NRD had a very good record of selection (more than our fair share), I feel the write up from the panel has more of a pull than the rank of who is doing the writeup.

TheClyde

The panel our NRD had was the OIC of local Reserve Supply (CDR then he promoted to CAPT), and then 2 LCDR's, our NRD had a very good record of selection (more than our fair share), I feel the write up from the panel has more of a pull than the rank of who is doing the writeup.
Can you share a bit about the NRD panel? I wasn't familiar with it. Is that something all NRDs hold? After all applications are submitted? Does the NRD add a blurb to the 1131/238?

exNavyOffRec

Can you share a bit about the NRD panel? I wasn't familiar with it. Is that something all NRDs hold? After all applications are submitted? Does the NRD add a blurb to the 1131/238?

The NRD's will often set up a panel interview for the candidates, that way they get the OIC interview and other officer interviews done at one time, when the OIC of the Supply unit you will be at says they want you as one of his/her officers it can say a lot.

TheClyde

Received paper mail with the form letter from the Rear Admiral who was president of the selection board and a powerpoint printout with community info the other day.

Has anyone been asked by their recruiter to fill out or sign anything yet?

Go for Lean 6 while you’re at it. Or contracting certifications

Reactions: JH8