• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Apples and oranges...DCOs serve in the RC (your are in the AC)...they do not go to OCS nor do they get any real meaningful training, They learn how to wear a uniform and get an extremely short version of the IW or Intel Basic course. Meaningful training is not offered unless they are recalled. You are better for having had the OCS experience...
More like Red Delicious apples & Fuji apples than apples & oranges. Keep in mind that the purpose of the DCO program is to bring people with existing subject matter expertise into the fold, whereby the Navy can then milk them for all they're worth at a cheap labor rate. DCOs have their place in the pecking order, and their existing expertise is expected to make up for their lack of pushing the earth away from them repetitively. Eventually, a DIRCOM and an AC should be more or less interchangeable in terms of ability to execute an assignment.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
I got word today from my recruiter that the applicants who were "tabled" at the board back in March are going to be looked at again at a board convening on 1 May. Results will be available 14 days after that.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
I got word today from my recruiter that the applicants who were "tabled" at the board back in March are going to be looked at again at a board convening on 1 May. Results will be available 14 days after that.

Check that. My recruiter misspoke when she told me that. The Crypto folks who's packages were tabled will be reviewed 1 May. No word yet on Intel.

cspurr

Perhaps part of the people being OVERQUALLED in the DC area is because the economy is not exactly good right now - therefore, people are being displaced in their jobs and looking for extra - or future permanent - work... I don't know, just a thought.

mgreen121774

Hey Guys,

Good luck Bucki. Hope you and everyone else here are doing well.

Just an update - I have filled out the afiliation papers for my billet location and have turned them in. Still waiting for that process to be completed, but that won't be the case ubtil I get a couple of medical issues resolved/waivered. If everything goes right, I am expecting my acceptance letter (is that the same as comm docs?) in a few weeks, perhaps beginning my drill weekends around June or July.

Best regards to all,

Trey

dephyler

Contributor
Hey Guys,

Good luck Bucki. Hope you and everyone else here are doing well.

Just an update - I have filled out the afiliation papers for my billet location and have turned them in. Still waiting for that process to be completed, but that won't be the case ubtil I get a couple of medical issues resolved/waivered. If everything goes right, I am expecting my acceptance letter (is that the same as comm docs?) in a few weeks, perhaps beginning my drill weekends around June or July.

Best regards to all,

Trey

I'm surprised you're moving so fast. Good luck with it. Comm docs come 7-10 business days after your letter, which itself comes a month or two after the physical questions are resolved. I won't be drilling until June either, the system is sloooooow :) I just found out that my pipeline is changing too. DCO probably won't be until I near the finish of BRIT. And BRIT is also changing formats for my RIA, not sure what RIA you'll be training with, so that may or may not be similar.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Perhaps part of the people being OVERQUALLED in the DC area is because the economy is not exactly good right now - therefore, people are being displaced in their jobs and looking for extra - or future permanent - work... I don't know, just a thought.

In response, I think the economy has nothing to do with it whatsoever. I think people are overqualified in DC because most people applying are from the intelligence community, and there for recent and applicable intel experience, with master's degrees, speaking Arabic, Farsi, and Pashto, and have been doing it for 5-10 years. Nowhere else in the country has the same caliber of people to those located in DC.

And besides, this is for the Reserves, meaning people have other jobs...I don't think anyone here is relying upon the Reserve paycheck to cover their monthly expenses...that could get a little tight :)

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I haven't put a DCO package yet... but I thought I'd run my info by everyone to see what you think my course of action should be.

I just found out I made E-4 (IS3) this past exam cycle
NBIT and IS A Res are done
Active TS/SCI
Federal LEO (three years, GS-11)
starting grad school in the summer (part time)
Poli Sci BA w/history minor and European Studies cert
no mobilizations... yet.

Should I wait to be mobilized and get back before applying? Is the ASTB required for Intel DirComm? I'm kind of worried about this test becuse math and physics are not my strong suites.

What do you guys think my course of action should be?

Thanks!

-sorry if this is the wrong topic thread.

Coonass

Reserve Intel Officer Billets

Hey ya'll,

This is my first post on this forum. I am in the process of completing my Officer App for Intel. My recruiter told me that I should put in for three, however only one or two career fields interest me. IW and INTEL.

INTEL being my number one pick, I have a question regarding reserve billets in this field. I've been doing research ( i like to know as much as i can about something before i jump in) and it seems that there are billets for ResIntel O's that allow them to be attached to and work with Federal Law Enforcement Agencies. i.e.. NCIS, DEA and others.

What do any of ya'll know about this? process for acceptance, conditions, availability, etc?

I have over 12 years of Law Enforcement experience, ranging from criminal patrol, drug raids and tactical ops, investigations and operational command (as a Lieutenant). I thought I read somewhere that positions of this sort required a Law Enforcement background.

Also, If this is a true possibility, and I am attached to some Fed Agency in this capacity or another - If I come up for activation, would it be in that capacity (w/ that agency) or would I be on the roles for ANY duty....???....

I appreciate any help or direction ya'll can give me.

OH, my Recruiter forwarded me a billet ID that read "FCI AGENT", What is this billet????

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I'm pretty sure you won't be doing any law enforcement or intelligence work involving US persons (citizens and resident aliens) while in a Navy uniform... that's kind of frowned upon. Posse Comitatus and other measures prevent that. Now, Coasties wear both hats in the law enforcement sense.

Is there a RIA in you area? Obviously they won't be all that forthcoming with details as far as mission specifics go, but I'd hope your recruiter could put you in touch with some of the JO's there so you can get a general of what's going on.

Who do you work for now?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You questions are fairly detailed and specific. There are a couple intel O's and a couple of reserve intel O's on this board that might be able to answer them.

My guess is that the primary LE agency that you could be involved with is NCIS.

Coonass

I'm pretty sure you won't be doing any law enforcement or intelligence work involving US persons (citizens and resident aliens) while in a Navy uniform... that's kind of frowned upon. Posse Comitatus and other measures prevent that. Now, Coasties wear both hats in the law enforcement sense.

Is there a RIA in you area? Obviously they won't be all that forthcoming with details as far as mission specifics go, but I'd hope your recruiter could put you in touch with some of the JO's there so you can get a general of what's going on.

Who do you work for now?

I work with the Pearl River Police Department, previously I worked with Pearl River County Sheriff and Pearl River PD before that (LT).

As far as an RIA, yep there are two close by - I believe #3 in New Orleans and I know that HQ is in Ft. Worth. I've been givent he cell# of an OIC for the area RIA. So, I'll pic his brain tomorrow and let ya'll know what I can.

Coonass

You questions are fairly detailed and specific. There are a couple intel O's and a couple of reserve intel O's on this board that might be able to answer them.

My guess is that the primary LE agency that you could be involved with is NCIS.

LOL, well I dont believe in being too vague or beating around the bush..... well, not the proverbial bush, LOL.

I hope to get some sort of answer to this, even if it is vague for OPSEC reasons. I used to want to be in FED LE, but now I'm too old (36) and hold two jobs concurrently. One in a Refinery and another at a Municipal Police Department.

However, if i could get an opportunity to do some sort of field work as an INTEL O, in any capacity - that would satisfy me fine. I just want to do something in that arena if possible.

My brother is a supply officer (active) and is trying to recruit me into those ranks, and i have thought about it. however, i'm not sure its for me.....

Also, there isnt too much info out there regarding Intel or IW. SO ....... I look some more, LOL.

dephyler

Contributor
I've been told of opportunites like this, but only in vague terms. I was told about NR Intel-O attachments with Coast Guard, Customs, and FBI groups at shipping ports that essentially do container inspections. I don't know how prevalent billets like this are and I don't know any details other than that because I didn't ask. I do recall hearing something about 'plain' clothes. Take this all with a grain of salt though. I heard this in my first interview back in Oct.

If you were given the # of an OIC, I'd ask them as I'm sure they'd know, or at least heard about something. I don't recommend joining if that's all you'd want to do, but once you're in, it's something to work for.

hscs

pilot
HSC-84 would use you -- you would be an air intel O in Balad, and you wouldn't spend your whole year long mobilization in the desert. They would bring you home for a break. Beware that you might get mobilized to fill some Army billet in the desert...