• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
As a heads up... to get law enforcement 6c coverage for the Feds the age limit is 37. If the closing period for the applications is before your 37th b-day you're just fine.

As far as Navy Officers working with Fed LEO's it's only going to be involving foreign issues. The minute you are involved with US issues you're getting into something you shouldn't...

At my RIA, the various units augment JICs and JACs for two different commands and one Federal agency. That's about all I want to say on an open forum like this.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
The billets that support this mission area are almost always associated with NCIS units. "FCI" = foreign counter-intelligence, so an FCI agent is just that; before you get too excited and order your Walther PPK and martini shaker, though, remember that as a Reservist you generally aren't out skulking around Vienna looking for dead drops - the reality of the intel world is a *lot* more mundane.... (This is a point I can't overemphasize enough, especially when I see folks in other threads discussing throwing away URL jobs while they hold out for an Intel billet.)

Also, keep in mind that just because you are assigned to an NCIS unit does not make you an agent, no more than being assigned to a Hornet squadron makes you a pilot - you are an "athletic supporter", in the truest sense of the word.

As far as mobilizations go, almost nobody gets mobilized any more in their billet - they are shanghaied (again, in the truest sense of the word...) to go fill a billet downrange. If you can fog a mirror, you are eligible for a lot of the IA jobs out there - there doesn't tend to be a lot of job-skill matching. Intel (1635) folks do tend to be slotted against inte-type jobs, but they can also fill the 1XXX requirements as well as anybody.

Hey ya'll,

This is my first post on this forum. I am in the process of completing my Officer App for Intel. My recruiter told me that I should put in for three, however only one or two career fields interest me. IW and INTEL.

INTEL being my number one pick, I have a question regarding reserve billets in this field. I've been doing research ( i like to know as much as i can about something before i jump in) and it seems that there are billets for ResIntel O's that allow them to be attached to and work with Federal Law Enforcement Agencies. i.e.. NCIS, DEA and others.

What do any of ya'll know about this? process for acceptance, conditions, availability, etc?

I have over 12 years of Law Enforcement experience, ranging from criminal patrol, drug raids and tactical ops, investigations and operational command (as a Lieutenant). I thought I read somewhere that positions of this sort required a Law Enforcement background.

Also, If this is a true possibility, and I am attached to some Fed Agency in this capacity or another - If I come up for activation, would it be in that capacity (w/ that agency) or would I be on the roles for ANY duty....???....

I appreciate any help or direction ya'll can give me.

OH, my Recruiter forwarded me a billet ID that read "FCI AGENT", What is this billet????

Coonass

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I understand the 'true' role of reserve O's in the military and how they would/would not be utilized in FED LE Agencies. I am realistic, LOL, I already have a Walther PPK :icon_wink

I was just inquiring, trying to cull the sense from non-sense in the ResIntel Community and billets.

I realize the implications of investigating intel within CONUS, so Foreign Intel makes perfect sense.

Thanks again AND if you guys come across any other info, please post it here.

Thanks.

Ever Forward!

Orion07

I got selected and I have less quals than you do. ASTB is no sweat, I bought a book on Amazon, and studied this: http://www.navygouge.com/newstuff/ASTB_gouge/ASTB_Gouge.pdf

There are plenty of resources on this website for the ASTB. Too much in fact. I found the test similar yet much easier than the GRE.
It's really all about getting to the recruiting station, sitting down, taking the test, and get out. You will knock it out no problem.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
USNR intel and the ASTB

I am currently starting the process to commission in the USNR as an IO and wanted to know if the flight package weighed in on the overall evaluation. I have taken the ASTB once already (a few years ago) and did okay on the guts of the test, but did lousy on the flight portions. I just wanted to know if the hiring panels considered the flight scores when evaluating a candidate who is pursuing a route other than flight. I am a member of the IC and have good experience but am not the best test taker and really wanted to drill down on the material that mattered. If I can take a hit on the flight, I will to improve my math/mechanics scores.Thank you.

fusu

i was never able to understand why the flight portion is on the intel test either. something to do with having to work with people who fly planes even if you never get near one.

I scored 5,5,5 on the flight part and did well on the OAR. My OR explained that the board would look at the flight scores but not emphasize them. Seems like a pretty minor part of the application but a part nonetheless.

JKD

Intel truly does use the "whole person" concept when looking at applicants.
My ASTB score was 7/8/9 74 and I wasn't picked up right away (it took several applications over a couple years).

My take away from the whole experience was not to put too much faith in any one part of the application (be it good or bad).

Lobster

This probably qualifies as a dumb question. :confused: Do they take out the flight portion for guys that want to go say SWO or any not aviation related career path?

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Hey yall,

I got some interesting news yesterday. I received an email from my new recruiter (as my old one transitioned out of the job) that said "please contact me as soon as possible." So, I called and he told me that I was accepted and that I had to update some paperwork to get the whole thing going. Unfortunately, I'm out of the country for a few more weeks but will try to get that underway now, so when I get back things will flow even more.

I had no idea it was coming because he told me a few weeks before that I had to wait until the normal cycle board in October before they looked at my package again. Anyway, looks like I'll be with mgreen in a Navy uniform pretty soon.

Totally excited over here :)

I hope all is well with all of you.

PS

CoInv

Good afternoon gents,

I am in the process for USNR 0-1 but apparently I am way behind you guys. I was just told about this forum recently, wish I knew about it sooner. I am a former Fed LEO (1801, think air planes+guns...) with TS clearance and recent law school grad. Recruiter wants me to have my paperwork in by next week for a board in Oct. Recruiter tells me to have "everything" in but doesn't go as far as to give me a list. I haven't taken the ASTB yet but I have all of the other required paperwork done, other than mailing the reference forms out. I have a USNR Captain and Army Reserve Col. as references, plus I had two "interviews" with CMDR and Capt. in the intell community. The CMDR told me that I am "very competitive" for the commission. The Capt. was very dry and tight lipped.

Other than my LEO time, I don't have any military background. I thought that I was doing well, but It seems that i may be very behind where I should be. Any thoughts/advice?

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Good afternoon gents,

I am in the process for USNR 0-1 but apparently I am way behind you guys. I was just told about this forum recently, wish I knew about it sooner. I am a former Fed LEO (1801, think air planes+guns...)

Fed LEO 1801, were you a US Marshall or something? I always either wanted to be involved with A.T.F or the US Marshall's, if the Navy wouldn't take me.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I'm a DCO Intel applicant, whose board was on 12 Dec.

- ASTB 5/6/6/49
- 33 years old
- 3.4 GPA in Finance attained in 2007 (attended classes full-time at night and worked full-time)
- 9 years work experience as a software engineer (self-taught)
- 4 years prior active duty service - submarines / diver
- 2 years prior active reserve service - intel
- warfare & diver qualified while enlisted
- very high enlisted evals while enlisted
- LOR's from former XO, current, and former employer's
- church volunteer
- community interview with the CO of a unit to which I might be assigned

The results of my board were that I was a "highly competitive civilian candidate" and that the board required further information on a couple of items.

From what I understand, boards sometimes request additional information. I understand that this was the case for my board. That is, it happened to other people as well.. The items will be turned in and will be reviewed in February. So, it's back to waiting, but it sure beats the alternative!

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
I'm a DCO Intel applicant, whose board was on 12 Dec.

- ASTB 5/6/6/49
- 33 years old
- 3.4 GPA in Finance attained in 2007 (attended classes full-time at night and worked full-time)
- 9 years work experience as a software engineer (self-taught)
- 4 years prior active duty service - submarines / diver
- 2 years prior active reserve service - intel
- warfare & diver qualified while enlisted
- very high enlisted evals while enlisted
- LOR's from former XO, current, and former employer's
- church volunteer
- community interview with the CO of a unit to which I might be assigned

The results of my board were that I was a "highly competitive civilian candidate" and that the board required further information on a couple of items.

From what I understand, boards sometimes request additional information. I understand that this was the case for my board. That is, it happened to other people as well.. The items will be turned in and will be reviewed in February. So, it's back to waiting, but it sure beats the alternative!

Yeah... at least they didn't completely DQ you! Good luck :)

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
FY09 DCO Intel Selection Boards (AKA "the long blue wait")

Just gotta say, I was just accepted for DCO Intel last October after having been tabled at the board in March. Don't get down if you don't get accepted as there will be other rounds. Good luck to everyone.