• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Commissiong/Processing/Training Plan after DCO Intel Selection

Hey folks,

I was selected for DCO Reserve Intel back in October and just completed all of my physicals and everything. My recruiter tells me that once they forward the documents to main processing station that commissioning documents come between 1-3 months. I can assess that once the documents come in we can set up a ceremony and go from there...however, see blow.

My questions:
What is the process from there?
When do I select my wishlist for units in the area?
When do my drill weekends start?
How do we determine when my 2 weeks over the summer will be?
What uniforms am I going to need?
Et cetera...

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks yall.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey folks,

I was selected for DCO Reserve Intel back in October and just completed all of my physicals and everything. My recruiter tells me that once they forward the documents to main processing station that commissioning documents come between 1-3 months. I can assess that once the documents come in we can set up a ceremony and go from there...however, see blow.

My questions:
What is the process from there?
When do I select my wishlist for units in the area?
When do my drill weekends start?
What uniforms am I going to need?
Et cetera...

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks yall.

Have you not asked the recruiter these questions? Since everyone's mileage may vary, you should be seeking answers specific to your situation.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Have you not asked the recruiter these questions? Since everyone's mileage may vary, you should be seeking answers specific to your situation.

Of course I have. My awesome recruiters don't return emails or phone calls and the only time I really get help is if I show up at their office, which is hard because I work the same hours they do. I know everyone's time line and path will be different but I was looking to get a feel for what might come...mainly so I know what to expect so I can keep the recruiting office on the ball (one they've dropped many times before).

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Of course I have. My awesome recruiters don't return emails or phone calls and the only time I really get help is if I show up at their office, which is hard because I work the same hours they do. I know everyone's time line and path will be different but I was looking to get a feel for what might come...mainly so I know what to expect so I can keep the recruiting office on the ball (one they've dropped many times before).

Unfortunately this is more typical than not - my own experience with the officer recruiter was very similar, even 10 years ago. It's a "buyer's market" from the recruiter's perspective, so they don't exactly need to be customer service oriented.

As far as what come's next, a decent source of info can be found over on Military.com in their discussion forums - Navy and then Reserve. The "signal to noise" ratio can be a bit lower than around here, but there are a lot more DCO folks posting and reading.

I'll give you one set of datapoints, but your mileage may vary.

As far as unit selection, the way I've seen it is that they wait until you are done with BRIT (Basic Reserve Intelligence Training), and then you choose. Different RIAs may do it differently.

Drill weekends would begin fairly quickly after you are sworn in; in my case, it was about 3 weeks later. As far as uniforms, you are responsible for getting what you need. A good rule of thumb for someone starting out would be 2 sets of khakis and one of SDBs, but I've been wearing a bag too long to keep track of what's going on with uniforms. (Good news: Thanks to the AF bubbas in my new command, the uniform of the day is the bag - even though there is no connection in the command in any way to flying, flight operations, paper airplanes, or hand-tossed Superballs. Not wearing khakis in a shore J2 job at a COCOM: priceless!) Don't be "the guy" that shows up with a rack of ribbons that he thought "looked cool". Get a set of the Navy Uniform Regulations (presto! http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/uregMenu.html) and make sure your rank and insignia are not AFU.

As far as your ATs, that too will vary. Get rid of the "summer" mindset - ATs happen at all times of the year, depending on the needs of the command. Your first AT will be DIRCOM School, now up at Newport. It sounds like infinitely more of a red-ass than it used to be, but just suck it up and get it done. (Summer in Newport would be infinitely preferable to winters...). The next year's AT is NIOBC-RES, which will be a necessary step towards completing your 9600 NOBC (Navy Officer Billet Classification), which essentially "certifies" you as a full-up round-life taker/heartbreaker-deployable booger eater.

As HJ mentioned, different geographic areas may approach things differently, so the best thing to do would be find an Intel DCO who has gone recently before you; the Military.com forum should hook you up in that regard. This place tends to be populated with grizzled old salts who are full of knowledges and can tell you how it was when Pontius was a pilot.... :icon_wink

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
FS - thanks for the info brother; much appreciated. That was the stuff I was looking for, just the basics so I can know what to expect. I'll check out that link you posted and hopefully that will help me further.

Also to anyone else - anyone in the working reserve intel in the DC area? I may join you in the future - hit me up if you'd like.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Just gotta say, I was just accepted for DCO Intel last October after having been tabled at the board in March. Don't get down if you don't get accepted as there will be other rounds. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks bucki4lyfe!! I'll update the thread when I hear something...

Batman97862

Banned
Go to the thrift shop on Anacostia for uniforms. You will save a fortune. SDB jacket and pants for 6 bucks. I'm working on a DCO for aviation on Andrews (coming from USAF). Good luck.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Hey folks, I was selected for DCO Reserve Intel back in October and just completed all of my physicals and everything. My recruiter tells me that once they forward the documents to main processing station that commissioning documents come between 1-3 months. I can assess that once the documents come in we can set up a ceremony and go from there...

First off, congrats on your selection. Washington, DC is one of the toughest places from which to be selected as an Intel DCO. Intel is a high-demand, low-density field and Washington, DC is filled with literally thousands of over-qualified people.

Some gouge from my notebook and from past experiences.

When do I select my wish list for units in the area?

I think they are going to put you where they need you, unless you have done some leg work and spoken to a couple of CO's of the units in your area.

Your AT's are at the convenience of the Navy and may not necessarily take place during the summer. Also, your unit may support "flex drilling."

Schools:
Direct Commission Officer (DCO) School
- Newport, RI
- 2 week AT, they have a schedule of future classes
- Memorize EVERYTHING on the DCO site prior to your arrival, especially if you are non-prior service.

Basic Reserve Intelligence Training (BRIT)
- Located at your RIA command / Drill site
- 8 drills plus a 2 week AT

Naval Intelligence Officer Basic Course-Reserve (NIOBC-RES)
- Dam Neck, VA (NMITC)
- 2 week AT

After the above training, it will take approximately 84 days worth of drills before you earn your Navy Officer Billet Classification Code (NOBC). After you have your NOBC and your security clearance, you are eligible for mobilization/individual augmentee (IA). There's more on these on military.com (The "Navy Reserve" section).

Links:
Navy Reserve Intel
http://kellybeamsley.com/military/

Navy Knowledge
https://wwwa.nko.navy.mil/portal/home/

DCO School
https://www.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otcn/Schoolhouses/DCO/DCOindex.htm

DCO School Gouge
http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/933192012/m/5930020771001

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=92908&nav=messages&webtag=ab-usmilitary

RIA Commands
http://navyreserve.navy.mil/Public/...ters/Intelligence+Command/Centers/default.htm

https://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/cennavintel/nmitc/index.cfm?fa=reporting.reserves

https://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/cennavintel/nmitc/index.cfm?fa=welcome.welcnavy

Military.com (Navy Reserve)
http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/933192012

If you have any other questions, please fire away or PM me and I'll do my best.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
It will take approximately 84 days worth of drills before you earn your Navy Officer Billet Classification Code (NOBC). After you have your NOBC and your security clearance, you are eligible for mobilization/individual augmentee (IA).
I think for most reservists that works out to something like 3 years of drilling before you can go and mobilize.

If you want to get your NOBC you can go a little faster by volunteering to go to the NIOBC-Active course. I shorted circuited it by doing this and it took me 13 months to get my NOBC.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
If you want to get your NOBC you can go a little faster by volunteering to go to the NIOBC-Active course.

NIOBC-RES is a 10-day course? Is the active course less than 10-days or am I mis-reading your post?

Course Objective: The Naval Intelligence Officer Basic Course-Reserve (NIOBC-RES) is a two-week (10 training days) intensive course designed to expose entry-level Selected Reserve Intelligence Officers to operational intelligence issues and technologies at the tactical and organizational level. Students will build on their knowledge learned in BRIT and be instructed on classified intelligence methods, procedures and systems. Students will then demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the Intelligence Cycle in a final practical exercise (FINEX) during the second week of NIOBC-RES.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll take a look at those websites and gather the information.

As of now, here is my status: my recruiters forwarded my medical documents to the folks at the recruiting command in Richmond, and upon their clearance (which I'm assuming happened because the docs checked me off as "qualified for service") the commissioning documents are drawn up and I'm looking to commission in February or March (2-3 months from now).

My recruiter told me I get put into a training unit in the area and I go from there.

What's this about getting uniforms in Anacostia? As a DC area native, I know not to go down to Anacostia too much, so you have to give me so more info : ) Is there a problem with going to Bethesda to get them?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
My recruiter told me I get put into a training unit in the area and I go from there.

My recommendation, if you want to have somewhat of a say as to where you end up:

1) Here are the units in your RIA, RIA 19 Washington. These are open source and were found on the Internet. Figure out what each of these acronyms mean. Finding out what they mean may peak your interest.

CNO INTEL 0166
DIAHQ 0166
DIAHQ 0366
DIAHQ 0466
EUCOM JAC 1066
JMIC DET 0966
NCIS HQ 0166
NGA 0166
ONI 0466
ONI 0566
OSD TECTRS 0166
VTU INTELLIGENCE 106

2) Get the contact information for each of the CO's of the units that you are interested in. Call your RIA's main office and ask for the Reserve Intel POC / detailer (I'll PM you the number). Once you get someone on the phone see if they will put you in contact with the CO's of the units that you are interested in.

3) Try to contact each one and at least have a phone conversation; if you can, try to meet in person. Explain your background, qualifications, etc. You never know what could happen. That is, you could make a good impression on one of the CO's and they could possibly call the detailer and ensure you are assigned to their unit. Even if they cannot make this happen, your initiative and phone calls will not be forgotten. Taking the initiative will go a long way.

What's this about getting uniforms in Anacostia? As a DC area native, I know not to go down to Anacostia too much, so you have to give me so more info : ) Is there a problem with going to Bethesda to get them?

The NEX in Bethesda is excellent, but I think the Anacostia location was mentioned because there is a uniform thrift shop and you can save a large amount of money. Anacostia is not so bad in the daytime.