• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

mgreen121774

Thank you dephyler and bucki-. Always great to get insight from another person. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for word on whether or not I was selected yesterday. Admittedly, I am not very patient. At least I have my physical already out of the way, so that may save some time if the affirmative comes down the pike.

As I do wait, though, what website(s) that you mentioned, bucki-, can I visit to monitor the results of the selection board? That would bring me some peace of mind. I am anxious to get commissioned and to get started doing something to contribute to our military's efforts. I want that far more than my currrent laboratory job, so in a way, a great deal is riding on my being selected.

On another note, bucki-, it would be great to work with someone whom you've established some level of familiarity with on airwarriors.com. If we are both selected, we should exchange info and keep in touch.

Talk to you guys again soon - I am sure I'll have more questions later. Let me know if you have any also.

Trey Green

dephyler

Contributor
Just a word of caution, you might want to hide your email address and just use PMs. Email addresses get picked up by bots and used for spam pretty quickly on the net.

As for patience...yeah, it sucks. I was incredibly impatient before, to the point of near insanity :icon_wink This experience has taught me otherwise though. It's just a matter of understanding the 'hurry up and wait' concept and completely accepting it.

Also, get used to beaurocratic wrangling.

Feel peace through acceptance.

mgreen121774

Thank you dephyler -

I deleted that from my message yesterday after I first received your message.

In other news, I looked around last night for some/any of the websites that buckif4lyfe alluded to, but could find nothing. Do either of you know of any specific website that posts selection board results, or am I strictly at the mercy of word from my recruiter or another body?

Trey Green

dephyler

Contributor
I don't know exactly what the site is, but I assume that it's a BUPERS site that isn't public. You're at the mercy of your recruiter. Just hang in there, you've got quite a few more months for the whole process to play out. And if you don't make it this time, you can always reapply.

Hotel02

My recruiter said the board actually met early, on or around the 15th of March. He also said there were around 100 applicants and we should hear the results by Friday (tomorrow). Good luck to all!

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Hey guys,

Sorry for the confusion around the "websites". That was meant to be in relation to their databases and internal sites they have. As Dephyler mentioned, it's nothing we have access to just something we have to wait for when the results come out.

We can definitely exchange information if we're selected. Contacts are always great, and I think one thing you'll find out is how close the military is and how you'll cross paths in so many ways.

Let's keep this thread going so we can keep in touch after receiving results. Looking forward to it.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Just something extra to add....

I talked to my recruiter and she reminded me that the board was supposed to meet on 24 March. She said one of the officers was sick that day so it didn't happen but it was possible they met the following day on the 25th. She can't confirm it but if they did, we could likely receive results this upcoming week instead of the week after. If they pushed the board to the following week and met on 31 March, we'll likely see results the week of the 14 April.

Just wanted to make sure those who applied knew of the possibility of results next week, and no one was surprised. :icon_tong

mgreen121774

Hey, bucki-. Hmmm....that's interesting regarding the selection board date and all. I was told that the 31st date was firm and set in stone long ago, i.e. that the applications were due on the 17th and that the board met on the 31st. I had to get my materials in way earlier than the 17th. If they met earlier, on the 24th or 25th, then we should probably actually expect the results on Tuesday or Wednesday(?). If hotel02 is right, we may hear something today(?). One never knows since the February boards were apparently also moved up. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

On another note, I thought that I would share that I am scoring at approximately "Good low" or so on my PRT. I am not TOO worried because my recruiter insists that no one really cares how high you score on it, as long as you pass. Being in the reserves, she says, the DCO school PT is usually rather skimpy, in fact suggesting that some days you meet for DCO PT and all you do is a few jumping jacks and you go back inside for other DCO training stuff. She followed up that story with a "No kidding!", so my workout time being limited by family and work, maybe I am not so bad off. The nice thing is that should I discover that I have been selected, I still presumably have a few months before I actually get started, so can still get a few levels higher on my PRT score before going off to DCO School in Newport later on.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are welcome.

Trey

dephyler

Contributor
I just read a post on military.com of a guy that came back from DCO and it doesn't sound like the cake walk I've heard about. It's not brutal, but I don't think it's easy either. Your take may vary though, so you can read for yourself:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/933192012/m/5930020771001

And yeah, you'll have a few months to train before commissioning, and even then it might be a few more months before you can get to DCOIC.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I just read a post on military.com of a guy that came back from DCO and it doesn't sound like the cake walk I've heard about. It's not brutal, but I don't think it's easy either. Your take may vary though, so you can read for yourself:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/933192012/m/5930020771001

And yeah, you'll have a few months to train before commissioning, and even then it might be a few more months before you can get to DCOIC.

Things certainly have changed since I went to DCO school 9 years ago - it seems far more rigorous now. Rigor is certainly not a bad thing, but I'm not sure I buy into the whole room getting trashed - you're already a commissioned officer, not a candidate. Inspections, sure - but trash my room? That's BS. I wonder at what level in the whole Schools Command hierarchy that "training technique" was approved.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Hey, bucki-. Hmmm....that's interesting regarding the selection board date and all. I was told that the 31st date was firm and set in stone long ago, i.e. that the applications were due on the 17th and that the board met on the 31st. I had to get my materials in way earlier than the 17th. If they met earlier, on the 24th or 25th, then we should probably actually expect the results on Tuesday or Wednesday(?). If hotel02 is right, we may hear something today(?). One never knows since the February boards were apparently also moved up. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

I looked back at the email chain between the recruiter and me and saw that my package needed to be with them by 22 Feb so they had time to put everything in order and make any last minute changes/additions if necessary. They sent the package to the board on 22 Mar. The board was supposed to meet on 24 Mar, but as I mentioned, my recruiter can't confirm if they did.

I write this because I think its funny how we were told 2 different timelines. ...Who knows what other people were told...

I write

dephyler

Contributor
I asked for you guys today and the results were released yesterday. Hope you all got some good news.

mgreen121774

Thanks for the heads up Dephyler - I haven't heard back from my recruiter yet. Funny, I just called her to check and then looked here. She wasn't available, but hopefully I'll be able to catch up with her soon and see if she knows the scoop. Thank you, and I hope to be able to share good news with everyone here soon. Can't wait to join the club for real. :)

Trey

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
I asked for you guys today and the results were released yesterday. Hope you all got some good news.

I'm in the same boat as mgreen. I didn't hear today either. The interesting part is I emailed yesterday my recruiter about changing my physical date as I have a prior commitment, and she hasn't gotten back to me as of tonight. She usually responds within an hour or two...hopefully thats not a bad sign :icon_tong

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye out. Thanks for the heads up dephyler.

Good luck mgreen, hopefully we'll be working together soon.