• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

The Bob

DCO Interview Redo

I applied for Intel DCO last December, but was not selected. I never got a full explanation as to why I wasn't selected (i.e. I got the non-specific "while we were impressed with your qualifications, we regret to inform you..." answer), but my stats, professional experience, and education are solid (though I have no prior service and was in the middle of my graduate studies). In thinking back, I think one thing that could have been improved upon were my interviews

Here's how it went... showed up at the local AFB and waited with a bunch of other interviewees. They were calling us up alphabetically, and since I'm always last in that category it gave me time to work on some of my answers and get pumped up for the interviews (if I had my Ipod it would have been a perfect "Eye of the Tiger" moment). My turn comes and low and behold I'm in a room with three Captains and not a smile on one of their faces. I don't know why I suddenly felt 2 inches tall, but somehow the intimidation factor set-in and I completely forgot everything I wanted to say, answering every question with “um…uh…duh.” Needless to say I felt as though I blew it, and contribute that to a reason I wasn’t selected.

I'll be applying again after October of this year (my recruiter says after my 6 month waiting period, all slots for FY '08 will likely have been filled), but I’m curious as to whether or not I can request to be re-interviewed. If so can they toss out my old interviews (even though I have no idea what it says)? Does anyone have any experience with this?

As a side note, in my desire to make my application stronger; I’ll be completing my graduate studies next month and at the moment am a couple of weeks into an accelerated Arabic language course.

Thanks in advance!

dephyler

Contributor
It may have been the interview, but it may not have. Were they AF Captains or Navy Captains? I'll assume Navy and that they were Intel Officers.

Do you have an idea of where you'd drill out of? If you can interview with the CO/XO at that location, it would be better than just some random officers that don't have a direct stake in your success. For example, I interviewed with two officers that will be my CO and XO. They've also endorsed many applicants that the board selected, so their opinion is trusted and respected, a big factor.

But, the board looks at the whole person, so it could have been a number of things. Scores being too low for that board, not having the background they were looking for, etc.

It's good that you're trying again. See if you can improve your whole package and not just your interviews to try and get even better chances. Good luck!

mgreen121774

DCO School, Uniforms, etc.

Hey Guys,

It's me again. Alrighty, so now I have been approved by the intel selection board, and am awaiting the final select. On my mind as I await the completion of my background and security check, the arrival of my commissioning docs, and the determination of when I start drill and DCO School, I need to know how to get my hands on uniforms when the times comes.

Jumping the gun a bit, sure, but my understanding is that the full compliment of officer uniforms costs $2400 or so. I am also told that we are given a $400 stipend to cover them. Obviously, for a full compliment of uniforms, I am running short. I won't be wearing them as often as an active duty officer, at least not until I am deployed in a few years, but my recruiter tells me of "thrift shops" near bases that supply them for CHEAP, like $1.50 for a pair of khaki pants or shirts. I don't want to wait until DCO school to get mine, and would like to be prepared from the start. Are there any sources like that where I can get what I need quickly and cheaply?

Other threads have talked about tailoring at DCO? Should I just wait until DCO school to get them and have them tailored?

My billet has already been chosen for me, and I may be drilling before going to DCO school. Is there likely to be a place close by the base for me to get cheaper or second hand uniforms?

Lastly, what is the scoop about the new changes to the uniform? While there is a new PT uniform coming out (if it isn't already), I am told by my recruiter that a new style of officer uniforms is also supposed to be coming out soon. Any word on when?

Trey

dephyler

Contributor
Yeah, you're obviously excited, but since I just went through this, I'll share my experience. FWIW, you probably have 3-6 months before you have to cross this bridge.

You don't have uniform rights until you get your comm docs. Although if you get them at thrift stores, anybody can probably buy them I assume... I had to show them my comm docs at check out (Newport NEX). Don't wait until DCO to get them. They'll take a week to tailor at Newport. I'm pretty sure you have to have them in hand when you arrive for DCOIC anyway. The PT uniform we get at DCOIC, as instructed on the DCOIC faq.

I bought two khakis, SDBs (1), and summer whites (1). No chokers yet. With all the misc stuff it came out to just over $1000. Save up for it. :) I haven't heard anything definitive on the $400, so I wouldn't rely on it.

I asked about the new uniform and was told that they'd be an addition, not a replacement. They didn't have a firm date, but guessed it wouldn't be out until the end of the summer.

Just a word of advice though, A. get a better idea of when you'd be going to DCOIC before buying uniforms so you can save some money for a few months. B. Read the DCOIC FAQs so you know exactly what to get, and go shopping with your recruiter if possible.

phrogpilot73

Note on thrift store - it's run by the exchange, so you must have exchange privileges to shop there. It's also hit or miss. Sometimes they have stuff, sometimes they don't. PSW got a new service dress white jacket, after tailoring and striping for only $65. However, the reason we went was so we could get her other uniforms (that they didn't have). Good place to go to check out a thrift store would be Newport, because as OC's wash out - their uniforms that they have purchased may or may not end up in the thrift store.

The Bob

Thanks Dephyler!

They were Navy Captains and yes, Intel Officers. I would be drilling out of the same place I interviewed (Andrews AFB). How exactly would I get in touch with my potential CO & XO?

Understood about the whole person. Taking Arabic was something that my recruiter had mentioned long ago, and I value his advice. Not sure really what else I can do to improve my package in the meantime.

Arkad

Recommend you focus on getting endorsements from Active Component Intel Officers. Truth is RC is here to support the AC, so it is the AC on which you should focus your efforts to impress. I am familiar with the process on the IW side and know the Intel side is much more competitive. They actually use their RC Officers in meaningful ways!!

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
They were Navy Captains and yes, Intel Officers. I would be drilling out of the same place I interviewed (Andrews AFB). How exactly would I get in touch with my potential CO & XO?

Bob,

I had my interview in the first weekend in February this year at the same location (Andrews). I'm assuming I'd be drilling out of there as well (if I got selected, that is) but my package was "tabled" to the off cycle board that is upcoming at some point.

In response to your question about getting in touch with your potential CO & XO, I would love to know that information as well. I can't imagine how anyone would do that, it seems like that's getting your unit assignment before you even get in...if anyone could pass along some info on that it would be appreciated. My interview went well but I'd like to add to the 2 LORs from current Navy Res CAPTs...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
In response to your question about getting in touch with your potential CO & XO, I would love to know that information as well. I can't imagine how anyone would do that, it seems like that's getting your unit assignment before you even get in...if anyone could pass along some info on that it would be appreciated. My interview went well but I'd like to add to the 2 LORs from current Navy Res CAPTs...

In the DC area, it would be impossible to know what unit you would be going to, so you could not know who your CO/XO would be. In other areas of the country, where there might only be one unit you could conceivably support, then you could plausibly identify them - but not in this area. There are multiple units, and the assignments to those units are not really done until you are actually affiliated with the Reserves, and more likely when you are a good portion of the way through the BRIT process.

As far as letters of recommendation go, they have always been something of a pet peeve of mine - for the DCO program or any other such thing. Just about anyone can come up with letters from just about anyone claiming how great they are, so in general they are discounted. I haven't sat on a DCO board, but I have sat on other boards and it's the rare LOR that is a "breakout factor" - they all pretty much end up sounding the same, so are not particularly useful as a discriminator. The author of the LOR doesn't matter that much either - active duty or reserve, one designator or another, Senator or Congressman. In general, unless the membes of the board specifically know the author and conclude that "I know and respect xx, and if he likes this kid then he must be ok.", they're not going to make that much difference Since you generally don't know the board membership, it would be tough to game this one. More LORs is not necessarily better - 3 is probably a nice round number. More, and you're just wasting their time.

The interview itself, however, *is* one of those breakout factors that can make a difference. Given that in the DC area almost all the DCO applicants are water-walkers, the board faces a tough decision trying to break out all these blue chip spud f@ckers from each other. That's why the interview process tends to be a bit of a rite of passage - they want to toss fastballs at you to see how you respond. If you fold like a Korean-made suit, then you will get marked down; conversely, if you hold up well and impress them, you will get an important "major plus" in your jacket.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this approach, but I'll share my experience that I'm convinced help me break out from the pack when I did my DCO board interview many moons ago:

They told me to be over at Andrews AFB at 0700 on a Saturday - no problem. They didn't tell me I would be waiting in a chair in a room for 3 hours for my interview time, which kind of annoyed me - if they were interviewing 8 guys in front of me, and each would take 15-20 minutes, then why not tell me to show up at 0900?? (Being old and still naive, I thought there might be some premium on efficiency....). So the longer I sat, the more annoyed I got. Finally, my turn was up - and it was the classic set-up: single folding chair in front of long table, with 4 O-6s lined up and looking grim. The only thing missing was the green felt on the table.

Anyway, I sit down, and the gruff-looking guy in the middle looks up over his reading glasses and grunts "OK, why do you want to do this?" Still being annoyed, I respond "Do you want my real answer or my prepared answer?" I could tell this kind of caught all of them off-guard, since they all looked up from what they were doing to get a better look at the guy with the attitude problem. The chair of the board said "Uh, your real answer". I'll spare everyone the details of the next 30 minutes, but in the words of comedians, "I killed." One of the best interviews I've ever had in my life. When I left I knew I was on the top of their stack, most likely with a note "Smart guy, but has problems with authority....."

In any event, the takeway is not to be sassy with the board, but to make sure you know why you are there, why you want to be a Naval officer, and what you can offer the Navy. They've heard the stock answer "I want to serve my country" a thousand times, so that won't help you - they're looking for something more to help discriminate.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
In any event, the takeway is not to be sassy with the board, but to make sure you know why you are there, why you want to be a Naval officer, and what you can offer the Navy. They've heard the stock answer "I want to serve my country" a thousand times, so that won't help you - they're looking for something more to help discriminate.

I agree with that, word for word. I think it's important to note that the "stock answer" that FlyinSpy mentioned is fairly useless. Everyone is there to serve his/her country, so you've got to show why you would be the best at serving the country.

My advice, to add on to the other advice posted is this: articulation.
I think the board looks highly upon (and is expecting) people who can provide well thought out responses to their questions. The make or break is how well you state that. Brevity, conciseness, etc, if you can make your response as powerful as any other applicant and say it in half the time with more authority, I think that will put you to the top.

For me, my interview went very well. In my current job, I've been lucky enough to have briefed some important people, so to me, the interview wasn't intimidating. 2 of the O-6s on the board were fellow employees and the other two were very familiar with some of my co-workers. Therefore, I had to bring my A game or I wouldn't have even been considered.

Just my thoughts...

The Bob

Thanks again for all your responses. The question still remains, can I still request to have a second round of interviews (and throw out the old interview)?

I ask because by the time I'm ready to interview again it will be about a year since my last interviews. In that time I would have earned my masters degree, completed a basic Arabic language program, and hopefully have improved my "whole package."

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
you can be intel/iw officer without having to goto OCS????? it's probably a stupid question but damn... i could've gone DCO if I had known that i was going IW.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Thanks again for all your responses. The question still remains, can I still request to have a second round of interviews (and throw out the old interview)?

Bob,

From my understanding, the board meets every 6 months (March and September) and each time you have to update your paperwork and resubmit your package because the paperwork is only good for 6 months. I would assume that if you have to "redo" your package, another interview would be involved in that as well.

My package went to this board in March and I was tabled to a future date, therefore, I can let you know in a few months if I get to do another interview :icon_tong

Arkad

you can be intel/iw officer without having to goto OCS????? it's probably a stupid question but damn... i could've gone DCO if I had known that i was going IW.
Apples and oranges...DCOs serve in the RC (your are in the AC)...they do not go to OCS nor do they get any real meaningful training, They learn how to wear a uniform and get an extremely short version of the IW or Intel Basic course. Meaningful training is not offered unless they are recalled. You are better for having had the OCS experience...

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
Apples and oranges...DCOs serve in the RC (your are in the AC)...they do not go to OCS nor do they get any real meaningful training, They learn how to wear a uniform and get an extremely short version of the IW or Intel Basic course. Meaningful training is not offered unless they are recalled. You are better for having had the OCS experience...

ahhhh gotcha.