• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

smloan2

Here is what I have been told by a pretty good source.

For obvious reasons there has to be a "weeding out" process. The reason your kits must have been submitted back in August was to give a "processor" time to go thru your kits for errors and such. When ready, it is sent down to Tenn. There are personnel there that review the kits for completion, strength, and competitiveness, etc. These folks are the briefers. The briefers all have a good working knowledge of what is being sought by the board. They break the kits down into percentages. ie: the top 10%, then middle weight, then bottom. The kits are presented to the board in a stadium seating type room, with three big screens (your life), and covered key pads (so others can't see). The briefers start from the top 10%, working down. The decision, yaay or nay, is made in as little as 18 seconds. Once the top percentile are ran thru, then they go over the others, and may re-visit some kits if all billets aren't filled.
What I found disturbing about this whole process, is that if your kit doesn't make it this go aorund, it's tossed out.
This process may not be totally accurate, but it gave me a better understanding of the process. Again, this is just an account from a pretty good source.
I hope that helps.

Excellent info USNGRL!!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Here is what I have been told by a pretty good source.

For obvious reasons there has to be a "weeding out" process. The reason your kits must have been submitted back in August was to give a "processor" time to go thru your kits for errors and such. When ready, it is sent down to Tenn. There are personnel there that review the kits for completion, strength, and competitiveness, etc. These folks are the briefers. The briefers all have a good working knowledge of what is being sought by the board. They break the kits down into percentages. ie: the top 10%, then middle weight, then bottom. The kits are presented to the board in a stadium seating type room, with three big screens (your life), and covered key pads (so others can't see). The briefers start from the top 10%, working down. The decision, yaay or nay, is made in as little as 18 seconds. Once the top percentile are ran thru, then they go over the others, and may re-visit some kits if all billets aren't filled.
What I found disturbing about this whole process, is that if your kit doesn't make it this go aorund, it's tossed out.
This process may not be totally accurate, but it gave me a better understanding of the process. Again, this is just an account from a pretty good source.
I hope that helps.

That's almost exactly how Navy promotion boards work as well.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
I can't say I'm really surprised at the way the process goes...Interesting to hear how the whole thing happens in detail.

USNGRL

das,

I was wondering the same thing.... Why does it take two weeks or longer? They did make the decision today. The suspense is killing me!!!

dephyler

Contributor
boards have very strict rules and the integrity of them can not be questioned. It's incredibly important to make sure that the results of the board are clean and unquestionable. Rushing the results out isn't in the best interest of board integrity. This year, there was a problem with a Chief board (E8/E9) on the reserve side of the house and the results were held. Not sure what the final outcome was, but the point is the same: boards are serious bidnez. http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/05/navy_reserve_e8e9_052509w/

Also, we're talking about a big government bureaucracy here. Turn around time isn't always a priority ;)

smloan2

boards have very strict rules and the integrity of them can not be questioned. It's incredibly important to make sure that the results of the board are clean and unquestionable. Rushing the results out isn't in the best interest of board integrity. This year, there was a problem with a Chief board (E8/E9) on the reserve side of the house and the results were held. Not sure what the final outcome was, but the point is the same: boards are serious bidnez. http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/05/navy_reserve_e8e9_052509w/

Also, we're talking about a big government bureaucracy here. Turn around time isn't always a priority ;)

After reading the article, I can see why they have to have all of their ducks in a row before releasing the results, however............it does not make the waiting any easier:(

anichka

I wonder if the majority of the people will hear first from their recruiters.

Living in Germany, and having worked for a year with a recruiter who responded to maybe 1 in 3 of the emails I sent, I am not expecting to hear anything for at least a month.

A friend from my reserve unit got selected at the February board. She's been in Afghanistan since January. She was working with the same recruiter, and she didn't even know she was selected till she went home on R&R about a month ago!

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
I wonder if the majority of the people will hear first from their recruiters.

Living in Germany, and having worked for a year with a recruiter who responded to maybe 1 in 3 of the emails I sent, I am not expecting to hear anything for at least a month.

A friend from my reserve unit got selected at the February board. She's been in Afghanistan since January. She was working with the same recruiter, and she didn't even know she was selected till she went home on R&R about a month ago!

My recruiter told me last summer that an "off-cycle board" was going to meet to discuss the applicants who were "tabled" at the March 2008 board...though he said he didn't know when the board was going to meet. 5 days after I got to Afghanistan in August he sent me an email to say "contact me as soon as possible." I called him and he said a board met and I was selected. I asked when the board was, he said he didn't know but the results had been out for a couple weeks, he just "didn't see them." So, because I was in Afghanistan until late October, he said I would have to be put back at the next board because, for some reason, the off-cycle selection needed to commission me by the end of the fiscal year (Sept 30). I had to go back to the next board on October 3rd...they say results take 2 weeks to come out. My recruiter called me on the 23rd.

I can confirm another case of recruiters not returning every phone call/email...and again, in this case, the first time he didn't let me know and it almost hurt, the second time, it only took him a few days...so...hit or miss.

USNGRL

My recruiter is one of those. Not the most communicative guys I've met. I take it like this...no news is good news. He doesn't call unless there is a problem. I havent heard from him since 2 fridays before the boards were to meet. (of course, houston had a problem).
Does anyone know if the boards actually met? Any results?

USNGRL

The results are in!

:):p I am in!!:eek::icon_tong
I can't believe it! I got the call from my CO and XO this evening! I'm so happy, I can't contain myself! BZs to all who made it.

anichka

Wow, congrats!

I really wasn't expecting anyone to hear until the 28th after the things I've read here. I was just thinking as I clicked on this thread, "I wonder how many people out there keep checking this one every day/few hours hoping to hear someone, somewhere got notified."

das

Contributor
I can't believe it! I got the call from my CO and XO this evening! I'm so happy, I can't contain myself! BZs to all who made it.

USNGRL,

CONGRATULATIONS! Thanks for posting, because now we know the results are available...

Congrats again!

Wow, congrats!

I really wasn't expecting anyone to hear until the 28th after the things I've read here. I was just thinking as I clicked on this thread, "I wonder how many people out there keep checking this one every day/few hours hoping to hear someone, somewhere got notified."

You're not alone. ;)

smloan2

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am very happy for you! If you can, let us know how the rest of the process goes for you. Like DAS said, now that the results are out, the rest of us can start reaching out to find ours.

USAF.Boom

So what were your qualifications to get selected? Still waiting to hear, but I am curious to hear what your package looked like? Thanks