• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

smloan2

I just got off the phone with my recruiter. I mentioned that others were receiving their results. As we were speaking, he was looking online to find the results. He said the results were not posted yet in the recruiting system. He said he would do some digging and get back to me. When he calls back I will find out where he was able to get the results and let everyone know.

anichka

I wrote my recruiter today too and asked him - I was pleasantly surprised to a get a response, even if no results:

Your kit was at last weeks board. There are no results yet.
I'll let you know when I hear something.

So, still wait and see. I am a little intimidated after hearing about what others have and who made the cut and who didn't.

Sorry to hear das. Looks like you have very strong credentials there (much stronger than mine from what you list, although I do have a few in the list you don't have). I would definitely keep trying. I know many people who had to go through this process two to four times, and it sounds like this one was probably especially competitive with all the packets that have been waiting around for 6+months.

francol

Congrats to those of you who were selected, the following comments in no way reflect upon your achievement. However, as one of these recruiters, and a 1635 myself, I find it absolutely incredible that the results of the board would get out before recruiters were notified! Today, my applicant called me to tell me of his selection status. How embarrasing! The Intel community is on track to alienate the recruiting community, as they did a few years back. The result being that very few 1635 applications were submitted, hence few DCOs made during those years.

das

Contributor
I just want to add that francol is my recruiter, and an excellent one at that. He made sure everything I needed was taken care of every step of the way. Looking back through some of the threads, it seems that there are always some folks who find out "early", usually via their chain of command. When I saw people started finding out, I started putting some feelers out myself, and found out my results.

I think that if the recruiters are supposed to be the primary source (and for folks who aren't currently in, the only source) of information about a process for which some people is the culmination of years of effort, the communities should endeavor to ensure that the recruiters have access to the results as soon as they're available via other channels.

Again, congratulations to all who were selected!

dephyler

Contributor
Congrats to those of you who were selected, the following comments in no way reflect upon your achievement. However, as one of these recruiters, and a 1635 myself, I find it absolutely incredible that the results of the board would get out before recruiters were notified! Today, my applicant called me to tell me of his selection status. How embarrasing! The Intel community is on track to alienate the recruiting community, as they did a few years back. The result being that very few 1635 applications were submitted, hence few DCOs made during those years.

That's an interesting problem. Information hungry Intel applicants end up causing harm to the system. I joined this board 2 years ago by suggestion of the recruiting command, and since then, this board has really taken off in membership of DCO applicants. It seems that it's starting to cause more harm then good, which is a shame. I bet that there are other boards out there that are growing just as quickly, with similar results.

das

Contributor
Indeed, it's quite an interesting problem. It's something of a double-edged sword, in that forums like this are invaluable in terms of finding out "inside information" or a lot of detail that might not normally happen in a recruiter/applicant exchange: there simply aren't enough hours in the day to fulfill some "motivated" applicants' thirst for information. So, forums like these come into play. On the other hand, it can hurt systems that officer recruiters have carefully set up to deal with their applicants.

dephyler

Contributor
Indeed, it's quite an interesting problem. It's something of a double-edged sword, in that forums like this are invaluable in terms of finding out "inside information" or a lot of detail that might not normally happen in a recruiter/applicant exchange

It's interesting to see how people feed off of each other to get that additional edge. This particular thread started off fairly simple, but has grown into quite the beast. Personally, I think that the methods that are now being employed to circumvent the system are really going to hurt future applicants. It's unfortunate.

das

Contributor
It's interesting to see how people feed off of each other to get that additional edge. This particular thread started off fairly simple, but has grown into quite the beast. Personally, I think that the methods that are now being employed to circumvent the system are really going to hurt future applicants. It's unfortunate.

I think it's incredibly helpful, but to be honest I hadn't considered how it might hurt the process. Frankly, this is part of our nature and culture to be so open about such things -- perhaps more open than we should be at times. I have mostly been watching aviation (or OCS in general) candidates going through this process, but DIRCOM, and its unique environment and needs, is definitely a different animal.

From my perspective, I don't think anyone who has gotten results "early", or any of their chains of command who told them, believed they were doing anything wrong. But if recruiters are the stewards of this process, I agree that informing the candidate of their status -- and its implications -- should be a part of that process as well. That necessarily means that they should have access to the information as soon as is practical.

turbobore

I too am waiting to hear from my recruiter and after reading all of these posts I have been tempted to call him today but I'm not going to do so. I have been waiting for many months and can wait another day or so. My recruiter is a very efficient, productive and top notch Master Chief and I told myself this morning that I will wait to get notification from him. I look back at some of the info that was shared here such as how many apps were received or how many might be selected yet it did nothing to increase my chances of selection. It's nice to know but not really helpful.

das

Contributor
turbobore,

I don't disagree with the thrust of what you said. However, I have gotten a lot of advice and information from these forums that helped me to put together the strongest package possible. In the end, it's out of our hands, of course.

I do agree that a lot of the information -- such as odds or dates that you have no control over -- is superfluous. However, I think it's hard for some folks to just sit back and not try to find out as much information as possible, as soon as possible. I've seen too many horror stories of documents missing from packages, packages missing boards entirely, etc.

My recruiter is also top notch, but I have spent far too much time and energy on this goal to not want to act as my own best advocate.

francol

All concerned,

Only people who were at the board would know the results of the board. Please note below, the instructions from Commander, Navy Personnel Command in regard to these procedures, and tell me that someone hasn't compromised the integrity of the board, and hence has broken the law.

While at the board

Only SECNAV may speak to board members in person about substantive matters once the board convenes. Designated support staff is authorized to speak to you about administrative matters.

All substantive communications to the board must be in writing, be given to each member, and made a part of the board?s record.

Limit all substantive conversations about the board to the officially designated board spaces, i.e. the boardroom and tank. Do not discuss substantive board matters with anyone, anywhere else, e.g., in heads, the lunchroom, in the van en route to and from the board spaces, or at the BOQ. All substantive discussions must take place in the boardroom or tank. A recorder must be present for all tank deliberations.

No lists, notes, or writing you compile during the board may leave the selection board area. At the end of the board all lists, notes, and other writings must be left in the deliberation room burn bags.

You may only consider official records and written or published material furnished to you by the selection board administrative staff.

You may not consider any written or published material not provided to you by the selection board administrative staff.

You may not discuss anything adverse about an officer that is not in the official record provided to you at the board.

After the Board

Your duty to maintain the confidentiality of the board?s proceedings, deliberations, and results is required by law. Do not disclose anything about your board?s proceedings, deliberations, or results to anyone unless specifically authorized by competent authority.

You may not counsel or advise an officer who failed to select for promotion at your board as to why he or she may not have been picked. Direct the officer to contact his or her detailer or community manager for counseling.

Do not disclose the proceedings, deliberations, vote of the board, including how you voted, or names of officers selected or not selected for promotion to anyone unless authorized by competent authority to do so.

X

xxxCharliexxx

Das,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't selected - shocked but you will get picked up soon! I tried to get online sooner but I had classes all day.

-Charlie

tenntoo

17 SEP 2009, no laws broken...

Francol and prospective/confirmed selectees,

The letter/results in question (BUPERS-315F FY10 1635 DCO September 2009 results letter) is dated 17 SEP 2009.

Pretty sure no laws have been broken here...

Best of luck,

-Tenntoo

sferry

I just spoke with my recruiter, and she let me know that I have been selected. Words cannot express how grateful I am for this opportunity, nor how humbling this process has been. I am in complete awe of many of the individuals who have applied, and regardless of the outcome I wish everyone the best of luck.

I know many people are still waiting, so in the spirit of contributing something to this forum, I will try to give you a sketch of what my package looked like:

-Female, 26
-No prior Service, no formal background in intelligence
-BA Religious Studies, Stanford University (3.8 GPA)
-MA Religious Studies, Stanford University (3.9 GPA)
-M.St History of the Graeco-Roman Period, Oxford University (No GPA)
-PhD Hebrew Bible, University of Notre Dame (degree expected in 2012-2013)
-Languages Studied: German, French, Spanish, Greek (ancient), Hebrew (ancient/modern), Latin, Aramaic, and a little Ethiopic. I will begin Arabic soon.
- Rhodes Scholar finalist, California Region
- Good athletic record
-ASTB... not sure. All my recruiter said was that I did very well and did not need to retake it. Sorry, I know this does not help.

Compared to all of the wonderfully robust experience offered by others, I really am at a loss to explain why I was selected. My recruiter seemed to indicate that the board was really looking at the "full package". Regardless of the reasons for selection, I will embrace the outcome with excitement, and an awareness of how blessed I am to have been given the opportunity.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread. Your insights really have helped me along in this process.

das

Contributor
sferry,

Congratulations on your selection! Best of luck!

One question: out of curiosity, how did you do your interview(s)? I.e., how many did you have, did you interview with a board, etc.?