• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CY 2011 DCO IW/IP/Intel boards: discussion and speculation

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Have your recruiters said anything about lower chances w/o such a background?
Your chances are just as good as anyone else. Whole person approach.

Just got off the phone with mine and he basically told me that the increased competition for intel not necessarily requires an intel background, but it would be a huge plus.
Of course it helps, but it is not required.

I thought the navy was looking at the whole person concept?
They do.

While I'm not intel background, I do have an analytical background in that I'm an attorney with 6 yrs experience contracts/analysis. I also have a decent pedigree as far as education - ivy educated undergrad and law, plus language skills in spanish and arabic. I'm just trying to figure out if the recruiter is off base with his comment.
Apply. Your schooling, profession, and language skills make you competitive.

ojhendrix

Community Interviews

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone ever hears back about their community appraisal scores for Intel selection? I had mine a few weeks ago and would love to know what I got and If im even in the running for selection. Ive heard hear and there that you need a 100 % on your first interview and 75% or higher on you community interview....any truth to this? Is there anyone on here that has been selected that can share their scores if they know them. Thanks guys.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone ever hears back about their community appraisal scores for Intel selection? I had mine a few weeks ago and would love to know what I got and If im even in the running for selection. Ive heard hear and there that you need a 100 % on your first interview and 75% or higher on you community interview....any truth to this? Is there anyone on here that has been selected that can share their scores if they know them. Thanks guys.
You will not find out the detailed results of your interviews other than generalities. You most certainly will never know your rating scores or the comments.

PapaK

Hello All, I know by now packets are being submitted to the March Intel Boards. I just wanted to wish everyone luck. After my meeting with the OIC, I have decided to restructure a few things and resubmit in September. Keep you all posted. Fair Winds and Following Sees.

das

Contributor
PapaK, I had my INDOC drill in JAN, which was taking care of a lot of administrative and paperwork-related things. Think of it as new employee orientation, except for the Navy Reserve. I also got a chance to talk to the leadership at my new unit during that weekend. Funny story: another new ENS and I were selected at the same board in September -- he for INTEL, me for IW. We also shared the same recruiter. Much to our mutual surprise, he was assigned to a NIOC (IW), and I was assigned an analytic cell (INTEL). Neither of us knew what to make of it until we happened to be each other's roommate during INDOC and shared stories. So long story short, our assignments were flipped, and we now have all that squared away.

So I am (now) assigned to a reserve Navy Information Operations Command (NIOC) unit, which variously handles all cyber, SIGINT, etc., type operations for the Navy. This is now aligned under the new FLTCYBERCOM/C10F and NAVCYBERFOR organizations. I had my first drill with my unit in February...it's a relatively small unit, but a great bunch of people, and has proven what everyone I've talked to has said about everyone being really dedicated and top-notch. As a non-prior service civilian, I have a lot of learning to do, but thankfully between my unit leadership and a lot of great Chiefs, I have a lot of people willing to teach me. I'll have one more drill with my unit before DCOIC in April. It's been a wonderful ride so far!

Best of luck to everyone at the upcoming board! Latest numbers have not changed...expecting 6 IP, 7 IW, and 25-30 INTEL.

cdb26

PapaK, everything on my end has been sorted out and I am on the flightline for the March Boards. I'm hoping for the best. Good luck to you and everyone else who is in for March. Das, I assume the competition again will be quite stiff, with approx 30 INTEL, 7 IW and 6 IP selected from a general pool of around 260 applicants? Odds not the greatest, but hey, you never know unless you try.

das

Contributor
PapaK, everything on my end has been sorted out and I am on the flightline for the March Boards. I'm hoping for the best. Good luck to you and everyone else who is in for March. Das, I assume the competition again will be quite stiff, with approx 30 INTEL, 7 IW and 6 IP selected from a general pool of around 260 applicants? Odds not the greatest, but hey, you never know unless you try.

Well, the last sentence of my most recent motivational statement was, "I respectfully ask the board to select me, so that I can stop the application process, and move on to military service!"

mrcuento

I just returned from DCOIC in Newport, RI from Class 11040 (Feb 6-18, 2011). I thought I would share my experiences with those on this thread who are either scheduled to go or thinking or going at some point so you know what to expect. I've read previous posts about DCOIC and it seems that each experiences varies, according to the Class Chief and Class Officer that you have.

* Arrived Feb 5, 2011 in Providence, RI and took the Cozy Cab shuttle from the airport to Officer Training Command in Newport, RI. This is the cheapest ($25) and best way to go instead of a taxi, which is more expensive, and drops you off right on base at King Hall. Call them in advance and make reservations for the date of your arrival. I also say this is the best because I met five of my shipmates at the shuttle pick-up location and we began to get to know each other right away. Upon arrival, the Officer of the Deck will stamp your orders and tell you your room number. In you room, you will find a Class SOP packet for room inspections as well as paperwork for your PARFQ, Combat Swimming Pool, Medical, etc. Only complete what the packet tells you even though it is self-explanatory.

I consider myself lucky because we had great people in Class 11040. About 75% of the class were prior service, myself included, from a Navy SEAL and former Chiefs, doctors, dentists, nurses, to a 23-year old CEC Officer. I am glad I came a day early. It gave everybody enough time to get their bearings, meet everybody, have lunch out on the town (with those that had cars), have a meeting that night (with most of the class that already arrived) and get everybody on the same page.

* Feb 6, 2011 - The remaining shipmates began arriving later in the day, because of the bad weather; some of whom came later than the 1700 report time. Our Class Officer got the class together that night, filled out some paperwork, everybody got their blue coveralls, then released everybody on liberty until 2200. He told us we would meet our Class Chief the next morning but would not tell us what time we needed to get up. A few of us went to dinner together in town, knowing we would not have normal food for at least a week.

* Feb 7, 2011 - A few of us woke up at 3:00am, other decided to wait until 4:00am, others decided to sleep in until they were woken up. Those that woke up early were in PT gear, did the two SSs and ready to go. The Class Chief showed up at 4:45am and woke everybody up. You will know where and what about the "Kill Zone." Always march to the right of the passageways. The Class Chief gets the whole class in the Kill Zone and BCA tests are done. We lost one shipmate who was above BCA standards. We had a few that were taped. They are not kidding. If you are overweight and not within BCA standards, they will send you home, at the chagrin of your command. I don't remember much other than briefings, marching to every evolution (classes, dining hall, etc) and such. We had a couple of shipmates who came without uniforms. Everybody has to look the same so we all wore blue coveralls until everybody had what they needed.

* Feb 8, 2011 - Up at 4:00am. Expect to be up at this time everyday so you are ready before the Class Chief arrives. He treated us as Naval Officers and wanted us to be self-sufficient. However, he ran everything for the next three days until we got it. The Division and Assistant Division Officer were selected. When we first arrived, the collateral assignment sign-up lists was posted. Sign up for what you want but later, the Class Chief and Class Officer changed some of the assignments and chose somebody other than who volunteered. I volunteered to be the Admin Officer and kept it.

A trip to the uniform shop and NEX in King Hall to buy what you needed (PT gear, gloves, watch caps, blue bottles, etc). You will carry that blue water bottle with you everywhere you go, with your memo book "of knowledge," pen, and ID band. Finally got rid of the coveralls and shifted to Navy PT gear.

* Feb 9, 2011 - Up at 4:00am, stretching at 4:45am, then the PRT in the Kill Zone with push-ups and curl-ups; then march to the gym for the 1.5 mile run since it was cold. The staff considered temperatures below 32 degrees as inclement weather. It was brutal; 16 laps around the gym. Nothing was more boring for the run than that. However, great teamwork and encouragement from everybody doing the run; from clapping and encouraging to running alongside the remaining slow runners. Afterward, chow and classes. We spent Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 4:00am until 8:00pm with briefings and instruction from the Class Chiefs after hours. Then you spent your time until 10:00pm catching up and getting ready for the next day.

* Feb 10, 2011 - PT (8 station PT, great workout!) then chow, drill, 3rd class swim test, and classes. During the day, rooms are inspected and trashed, then the class pays in the Kill Zone. I had never taken the 3rd class swim test before but passed it the first time. They key to it is to just relax, especially for the prone float. They will be strict on form and want you to see you with your face in the water. 2nd class swim test will be offered next week. Finally, everybody's uniform is ready. The Class Chief inspects everybody's khakis after 5:00pm.

* Feb 11, 2011 - PT, chow, and classes; then khaki uniform inspection at 2:00pm. The inspection lasted about 1.5 hours. We all memorized the Sailor's Creed, Code of Conduct, General Orders of a Sentry, etc but they were never asked during any of our inspections but as I said, it will vary according to which Class Chief you have. Liberty is granted until 2200 on Sunday.

* The rest of nest week is more organized PT, drills, classes, 2nd class swim test for those who wanted to do it as well as those that did not pass the 3rd class. Put forth your best effort for the 3rd class swim test and just do it. Otherwise, you will be at the pool every morning and not do PT with your class. I lost respect for those who appeared to be doing it to get out of PT. Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 is dress blues inspection and the class dinner. Friday, we fill out a class survey and outbrief and dismissed at 9:30am.

Sorry guys. I have to go but will continue this with the remaining thoughts. I promised to take my son to the movies and it's time.

mrcuento

Ok, I'm back. The next week (Feb 14-18, 2011) consists of more classes, organized PT, marching to each evolution, prepping your rack and room for inspection each morning, and watching out for each other (in the form of making sure uniforms are worn properly, everybody is the same, etc). Classes will consists of whatever was stated on the OTC website.

* Feb 17, 2011 - outgoing PRT then the final tests (Basic and Fleet Officer curriculum). You will be given a training account while you're there so you can finish the required NKO courses. It's best if you finish them before you get there then print out the certificates so you can submit them and certify you've completed them. In addition, you will also find study guides that were left by previous classes that will help you study for the tests. You will need 70% to pass both tests. Dress blues inspection then the class dinner with the Class Officer and Class Chiefs, as organized by your Class Social Officers. We also had a class shirt that they organized and distributed that day.

* Feb 18, 2011 - First time in two weeks you wake up at 6:00am to prep on leaving. As I stated before, we were released at 9:30am after you finish taking the survey. Please be honest and tell them what you think that will make it better since this will affect future class administration. You will make such good friends and will bond as a class that you probably won't have to worry about a ride to the airport. The Class Chief will tell you in the beginning of the course not to book departing flights until 1:00pm. It's about 30-40 minutes to the airport from OTC.

As the admin officer, I dealt a lot with pay and admin issues. From my experience, please follow the directions as given to you by Joyce Young. She is very squared away and will ensure you are paid (money in the bank the day you leave) as long you did everything as instructed. Here are my suggestions so you can avoid any problems with your pay:

1) Update NSIPS with your emergency and dependency data within 180 days of your arrival at DCOIC.
2) Not required but bring a copy of your page 2 or NSIPS data sheet with you.
3) Make sure your orders are correct and stamped. If it needs to be modified, make sure you submit the correct one.
4) Make sure NSIPS is updated if you pay child support or have dependents.

That's all that comes to mind for now. Hope this helps all of you who are going soon or will be going. As I said, my experience may differ depending on who your Class Chief and Class Officer will be but the format should generally be the same. If there is anything else you need to know, please let me know. Good luck to all of you for the March boards!

das

Contributor
mrcuento, thanks for sharing your experience! I have DCOIC set for APR and am looking forward to it. Who was your class Chief?

mrcuento

Congratulations again das on your commissioning! I had Chief Lee Mears as our Class Chief, who was great. He was fair and expected a lot from the class. Chief Steele, who is also good, one of the Swim Instructors, with an aviation background, and just an all-around nice guy, will be the Class Chief for the March class, from what he mentioned.

A few things came to mind after I posted my experiences for your benefit. From what I've learned as the Admin Officer, everybody that was commissioned filled out a direct deposit form but if you are still receiving a check after your first drill, you need to go to DFAS and enter your bank routing and checking account number into your mypay account since direct deposit is required for your paycheck. A few people did not know this.

In addition, we were not allowed to talk during any of the meals. No watches the whole time until the last day, no cell phones for the first few days (until after duty hours), no soda, coffee, or other drinks (Gatorade) allowed, except for water, until day 4 or so. So if you are caffeine dependent, prepare yourself. Even when they allowed coffee, it was one cup at any meal. Trays need to be lined up against the edge of the table and all kept their "book of knowledge" out at arm's length for studying until everybody has their food and are at the table so please get your food quickly since your other shipmates will be straining while waiting on those who are taking their time getting their food.

You also need to comply with the uniform list, based on the season (dress blues or whites), to include the all weather coat, because everybody has to have it.

As before, please let me know if there is anything you need to know.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
What a great write up mrcuento. I was thinking about what it would be like and now I have a clearer picture in my mind. Thank you.

PapaK

Great insights Das, and mrcuento. Excellent gouge. Everytime I read this forum, I'm encouraged. Still moving forward but not for March. Got a few things to clear up first. Shooting now for September. Greatest wedding gift would be to receive a phone call in October from my (third) recruiter saying: "Welcome aboard!" Best of luck to everyone. Keep up the good fight

das

Contributor
mrcuento, thanks! Great gouge. Chief Mears is also the APR class chief, so this is really helpful as I'm sure it will have a similar "style".