• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CY 2011 DCO IW/IP/Intel boards: discussion and speculation

cdb26

Das, any word on whether there will be a March Board? Just heard from my recruiter and my interviews on the 21st have been postponed (to what date in the future I don't know)...I assume that's not a good sign? Any thoughts would be more than welcome! Hope you are well.

PapaK

Mine are supposed to be on the 21st too but I (and my recruiter) haven't heard anything either. Is there any way we the humber applicants can exert some influence? Beg, prod, and deal? A little bit of horse trading?

das

Contributor
I did a little bit of digging and I don't have any additional visibility on this right now — just rumors. I would proceed as if the board is going to occur as scheduled. Interviews can reasonably be conducted up to about a month before the board convenes...usually the deadline for recruiters to have packages in is about 3 weeks-ish before the board.

cdb26

Thanks, Das. I sincerely appreciate your quick response. Please keep me and anyone else here who is gunning for the March Boards in the loop. I attempt to have frequent contact with my recruiter, who in turn does his best to keep me updated, but it still seems like touch and go. He re-assured me that the March Boards are still on, but couldn't pin down an interview date for me. The other problem is that I am looking to forward plan (block out Fridays between now and end of February, as I would assume said interviews would fall on those days, but my bus. travel schedule has become very hectic of late. Oh well...if you want something bad enough, you do what you need to do...

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
I looked around and I didn't find anything on this so figured I would ask.
I was a non-select for the Sept, 2010 IP board but I don't know why. I asked my recruiter and never got a response that helped me on what or why I was not selected. I figured out after reading some documents that my packet was missing the SF-86 security paperwork from the web site. My recruiter told me I didn't need it since I already have a TS/SCI clearance with the Government but I don't know if that is the reason or not. I was asked to fill it out now as it's a requirement which got me thinking if they rejected me because of it. I am applying again for the March, 2011 board but I was hoping to figure out what I am supposed to improve or correct. Is there some way I can find out anything so I don't shoot in the dark twice? I'm not going to quit applying until I'm in but I would like to fight the good fight with a little help if I can. Thank you.

Marc

Devil Duck

A message came out after the board. The message states which applicants were accepted, and generalizations as to why applicants were not selected. If you weren't selected because your application was incomplete (missing SF86) it would state so. If your name was not on the list, you didn't make it before the board. Many applicants end up in a bin with a title like "competitive, but not selected; not among the most qualified".

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
I wish I could see that so I knew. This is what I have in my packet.
I am fully competitive so I can't imagine I got dropped because for not being qualified.

21+ years in IT field doing Communications, System administration, programming and networking
MSIT GPA 4.0 (I have 3 classes left )
BSIS GPA 3.5
Security+ Certified
ITIL V3 Certified
MCP
9 years in the Active Army MI (E-5)
12 Years as a Gov contractor
TS/SCI clearance with CI poly
Was a site manager for L-3 and controlled company operations in 5 countries.
currently a Development team manager for an Intelligence organization.
3 IP interviews 2 O-4's and an 0-5
3 strong LOR from 2 retired officers and an E-8.

I am re-submitting again and will continue until I am in.

cdb26

Pill Hacker may have a fair point...I believe the cut off is age 35, with exceptions coming only in the form of waivers. Maybe confirm this with your recruiter. Can't hurt to try again for March (if they're even having one). I just spoke with my recruiter and he said that he was sending an email inquiring as to when interviews would be rescheduled (I was originally slated for the 21st, as were several others on this board). Who knows at this point - seems like a total black hole. Age aside, your creds do speak for themselves...

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Cut off age is 42 since I have prior service and after that, a waiver is required.

I already have my interviews completed and I just scheduled my own in-person with an O-6 where I work and completed it last week. I wish I could get an in-person O-7 or above one but there are none around here lately.

I haven't heard anything about if the board is on or not so were are just driving forward like it is. I am so ready to begin this next journey.

das

Contributor
Just to be clear, the cutoff age for reserve direct commissions in all IDC communities is 42 even without prior service. Prior service can apply for a year-for year age credit up to age 50.

PapaK

Light at the end of the tunnel. Interview coming up. Keep you all posted. ENS Das (the man is official), what's the word?

Devil Duck

As for age, I've seen more DCO ensigns in their 40s than 20s, for sure. Most of the prior service folks seem to be 35-45, NPS 30s. Just my personal observations.