• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CY 2011 DCO IW/IP/Intel boards: discussion and speculation

Paul Robichaux

I'm just starting the process of putting together a DCO package for IW. Let me start by thanking everyone who's posted here; I have learned a ton from your experiences and insights.

This thread will hopefully be a repository for useful discussion of the CY 2011 boards. All I know at this point is that there's a board scheduled for March 2011, and I plan to have a package in it :)

das

Contributor
The information I had as of about six months ago about IDC RC DIRCOM boards was:

21-24MAR11 - Anticipated as INTEL PR only to select remaining FY11 quotas

However, I am not authoritative on this, so please double check with your recruiter about specifics. I don't believe the FY12 IDC boards (which will start in SEP11) will be scheduled for a little while yet...

Good luck with your package!

Paul Robichaux

Thanks, das. My recruiter is the one who told me about the March board, but it wasn't clear from his voicemail whether it's IP, IW, Intel, or some combination. Wish he'd call me back :icon_tong

das

Contributor
The IDC boards since MAR10 have been joint boards, and will continue to be going forward...but the catch is all IDC communities may not have quotas at all boards. INTEL has far more quotas; for the benefit of others who may be coming into this thread for the first time:

The last FY10 IDC board in MAR10 had 278 total applicants, and selected 31 INTEL, 11 IW, and 13 IP (this was the first joint IDC board; the SEP09 board was INTEL only. This board was where all of the FY10 quotas for IW and IP were selected, if my information is accurate).

The first FY11 IDC board in SEP10 had 262 applicants, and selected 41 INTEL, 10 IW, 5 IP, and 2 METOC.

So...does that mean there may be no IW or IP quotas at the MAR11 board? I'm not sure, but hopefully this info helps. :)

widi

From a previous thread (posted by das):

"Packages that were selected had the following general characteristics (I am paraphrasing here):

INTEL
* Quantifiable leadership/supervisory experience
* Strong academic background
* 100% confidence rating from NIRR OIC
* Outstanding panel interviews
* Strong motivational statement and recommendations"

I'm just coming up to speed with the application and had a couple unresolved questions - would appreciate if anyone can shed light on how the confidence rating is calculated and, for those that made it as well as those that were tabled from the Sept board to the Mar board, what their general "scores" were in the 5 listed criteria. Trying to determine if one area will "make up" for another or if you have to nail all 5.

Thanks in advance,
W

PapaK

Das, any word on the number of Intel professionals the March board will be looking for? I was told 150. Have you heard any numbers?

das

Contributor
That sounds high for INTEL, especially for the second round of selections for the FY...but I don't know for certain. I'll post here if/when I hear anything...

Devil Duck

You have to demonstrate all five to be competitive. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll get picked up. Lots of folks are applying for these positions. IDC is still going through restructuring. Wouldn't be surprised to see several more boards with low quotas.

cdb26

I've been bouncing around this board for the past year. Finally have a complete application package that is reasy to be submitted. At this point, all I can do is diligently prepare for the interviews, which are scheduled later this month. Does anyone on this board have direct experience with these interviews and, if so, can offer certain issues to focus on? Aside from the various questions about the individual's package itself, I imagine other questions will revolve around intelligence related issues and the specific activities that intelligence officers partake in? Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I've been bouncing around this board for the past year. Finally have a complete application package that is reasy to be submitted. At this point, all I can do is diligently prepare for the interviews, which are scheduled later this month. Does anyone on this board have direct experience with these interviews and, if so, can offer certain issues to focus on? Aside from the various questions about the individual's package itself, I imagine other questions will revolve around intelligence related issues and the specific activities that intelligence officers partake in? Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

I'll use a single data point (my own experience with these boards), but take into consideration it's somewhat dated - as in 12+ years ago...

Question 1: Why do you want to do this? (i.e., pursue a direct commission)

(My answer: "Do you want my real answer, or my prepared answer?" Interesting & amusing discussion / repartee follows.... ;-)

Question 2: Why the Navy, and not the Air Force?

Question 3: Explain the former Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs' perspectives on the revolution in military affairs.

Question 4: Explain the Department of Defense's Planning, Programming, and Budgeting System.

Question 5: What's a leader?

This all took place over about 30 mins, and the discussion covered a wide range of sub-threads to each of the above questions. Keep in mind that these questions were framed by the information in my package, resume, and academic and professional experience - I think you could reasonably expect the same. If you claim to be a subject matter expert in something, expect to be probed. Also expect some of the more standard motivational questions. The boards for these things tend to be grizzled O-6s who've been around the block a few times, so expect it to be more of a rock-tumbling session than a collegial group grope. Good luck!

p.s. Although it worked for me, I wouldn't recommend the approach I used in the answer to Question 1...

ojhendrix

Also forgot to ask this...but does your recruiter ever get your interview scores back so that you can know how you did??

ojhendrix

Ok so I posted earlier but I dont think the post went through so im reposting all of this. First off Id like to say hello to the forum and how happy I am that Ive been able to find a group that can help me get through this process. I am a DCO Intel applicant as well. This is my first time submitting my package and its been stressfull. I just had my interview's this past friday which I think could have gone alot better. Im a little worried that im not as strong of an applicant as some of the others Ive heard of. Here is a little back ground on me

I'm a 26 Y/o female, i graduated from college in 2006 and jumped right into law enforcement. I became a police officer for a pretty big city and since then ive had the opportunity to get involved in a lot. Ive been on special assignments, made numerous arrest etc. Im set to get a pretty high award in the law enforcement community (medal of valor) for shooting a robbery suspect this past summer. It was a pretty intense situation and was caught on tape so luckily ive been getting a lot of recognition for it thus resulting in a nice cookie to put on my resume lol. Academically i was very average...my gpa was a 2.6 in college, i started out as a biology major and just couldn't cut it..i ended as a criminal justice major so that right there worries me because my degree is not technical at all. So while in college i was pretty active, involved in a lot of stuff. Post college im still pretty active, i play adult sports and compete in fitness events. What I do lack is supervisory leadership experience, while I have been a motivated police officer leading myself and completing tasks 20yr veteran cops get assigned, at my young age I just have not had the time to be a supervisor yet.

In 2009 I wanted to apply for a commission but felt I wouldn't be competitive so i elected to enlist into the reserves first as a Hospital Corpsman. While in Corps School i finished with a 90 % avg and was in the top 10 in the class. I also just advanced to HM3 after taking the advancement exam for the first time. If i dont get selected this time I will keep pursuing my commission. I think my civilian job has provided me with alot of experience that I can hopefully bring to the table and present to the board. Ive dealt with confidential informants, received sensitive information, worked special investigations etc so hopefully it will all appeal. On the plus side of things I have a strong motivational statement and strong recommendation letters. One of my letters was written by my Police Major at work who is a reserve intel officer, former intel senior chief and the lead instructor at the Intel school here in VA. Hes also good friends with the NIRR OIC that interviewed me, so when I sat down for my first interview he was great to talk to and made me feel comfortable. I was however during both interviews very nervous which im now embarrassed about and I hope didnt make them lose confidence in me! The knowing who I work for and my background, NIRR OIC helped relax me and made me feel better but im still not sure how that appealed to him.

One of the questions I had for you guys how long do I have to wait before I can re submit my package If not selected? Also is there a limit to the number of times you can apply? Because I plan on applying as many times as I have to! Last but not least I heard a rumor that this Intel board will be selecting a higher number than usual to fill quota..is this true and how many slots are we talking about!

das

Contributor
Welcome to AW! To answer your questions: don't sweat your degree being non-technical. They aren't looking for exclusively technical degrees for INTEL; that's more strongly considered for Information Warfare (IW) and Information Professional (IP). There are INTEL Officers with a wide variety of educational backgrounds. Low GPA can be mitigated by positive performance in other roles in your life since then. Also, many applicants do have graduate degrees; that's another thing to consider if you don't get selected right away. Your desire to serve as an enlisted Sailor will also be looked upon favorably (does your command know about and support your pursuit of a direct commission?).

I have witnessed a good number of law enforcement officers have success at the board...so that kind of experience is also a positive. The one thing you may have trouble with is the lack of leadership experience. The direct commission process is looking for individuals who already have demonstrated leadership experience. This doesn't have to be in a job, but could be through volunteer work, extracurricular activities, etc...so look for ways to highlight that, or to enhance your experience in those areas. Again, it doesn't have to be through your job.

I think most interviewers understand that applicants may be nervous; check with your recruiter or the Police Major friend to see if you can get a feel for how you did. Your interview is literally scored, so they should be able to give you some kind of subjective idea about how you did. You are allowed to submit a package after six months has passed since your formal notice of non-selection. You can apply sooner than six months, but something significant in your package needs to have changed, and a letter of reconsideration needs to be submitted along with your package. There is no limit, per se, as long as you have an Officer Recruiter willing to continue to submit packages — but you also need to have fresh interviews, letters of recommendation, etc. (e.g., less than a year old), so it's not just as simple as putting the same package in each time.

This instruction is a very good overview of your whole process, from your recruiter's perspective. It should give you a good idea of the mechanics of everything, and help to make sure you're not missing anything.

As to the quotas, I don't know how many slots there will be, but I can give you information from the last three boards (quoting myself from elsewhere):

SEP 2009 - 176 total applicants. Selected: 57 INTEL (last INTEL-only board).

MAR 2010 - 278 total applicants. Selected: 31 INTEL, 11 IW, 13 IP (first joint IDC board; this board was where all of the FY10 quotas for IW and IP were selected).

SEP 2010 - 262 total applicants; selected: 41 INTEL, 10 IW, 5 IP, 2 METOC.

MAR 2011 - anticipated to be INTEL-only to fill remaining FY11 quotas, but I have also heard a rumor that this board may not even be held, which would push the next board out to the SEP 2011 timeframe. Please do not take my word for this, but I know how it is to be anxious for information, so I'm passing along what I know.

Hope this helps!

PapaK

Oh Das, not a gain, I really hope the rumor is just that - a rumor. Please pass along anything you hear.

das

Contributor
Well, I've also heard others say they have heard rumors that there will be a large number of INTEL slots at the "next" board...but which one is the "next": March, or September? As the time gets closer, if I hear anything definitive, I'll post...