• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CY 2011 DCO IW/IP/Intel boards: discussion and speculation

das

Contributor
I just returned from DCOIC this past weekend, class 11060, and I want to say that mrcuento's summary is spot on -- probably partly because we had the same Class Chief. This was the last class for both Chief Mears and LT Tucker (our Class Officer), and we actually switched Class Chiefs for the second week. This made for an interesting experience since different Chiefs typically have different rules and expectations. In the end, it was just another learning opportunity for all of us. Our class had 80 people (though we lost one because of a death in his family near the end of the first week), and I had the distinction of being selected as Division Officer (DIVO). This was trial by fire for me, but it was also a learning experience I would be unlikely to get anywhere else. I met a lot of great people -- our class age range was 23 to 63, with experience levels ranging from no prior service to nearly two decades of experience, education levels from bachelors to doctorates, and included folks from just about every restricted line and staff community you can name. The weeks flew by, and it's an experience I won't forget. Though you'll be sleep-deprived and busy the whole time from about 0400 to 2200 every day, make the time to get to know your shipmates. The experience they bring to the table will be among the most valuable things you can draw on!

PapaK

Thanks for sharing Das, glad it all went well, you've worked hard for this and you continue to be an inspiration and guide to us all. Bravo Zulu, Sailor!

nas6106

Just an update on my selection. Selected IP on the March board, just got medical clearance and final selection. I'm over 40 so theres a few more items they need for med documentation. Nothing crazy, and they let me go to a industrial health clinic in lieu of MEPS. My own doc had to confirm a couple things but nothing major.

Legend has it COMDOCs will be en route in 10 to 14 business days. To all the faithful, its indeed a long process these days, truly going to be over 90 days for me. Looking forward to coming aboard.

mrcuento

Congratulations Nas. Know exactly how you feel. I got commissioned last year in September at the ripe age of 42. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. This also applies to everybody else on the forum. It's obvious, Das is a tremendous resource for information. His info, as well as Charlie, made preparing for the process a lot easier.

das

Contributor
Congratulations indeed! It's the next step in an amazing journey. As always, if there's anything we can do to help, don't be afraid to ask!

nas6106

I have learned so much already I truly feel lucky I found this forum during the process. I will continue the tradition to help those who want to serve. I may need a little help going from my Air Force understanding of things to Navy. Living this close to Annapolis and working right next to 10th Fleet makes it a great experience and I feel like I've made the right decision. A lot of great history and culture in the Navy.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Hello Everyone!

First I'd like to introduce myself to the forum members. My Name is Hector Torres and I am 36 years old. I am originally from Puerto Rico but have lived in San Diego since 1989. I have worked in the IT industry since 2001 as a Computer Systems Analyst at the San Diego Convention Center. I graduated this past May2011 with a BS in Information Systems from National University (3.73 GPA). I come from a proud military family; my father served in Korea and was WIA in 1952. My brother is a retired Navy Chief and two of my cousins are currently serving in AD, one is an E-7 in the Marine Corps, and his brother is a CPT in the Army. That being said, I am so glad I found this site, in particular, this thread. I read every single post in order to educate myself as to the process and the experience of those pursuing the same dream of a commission. Thank you all very much for your contributions, I am a better person because of your shared knowledge. I look forward to contributing to this forum.

My packet for the IP Community is on its way for the MAR2012 Selection Board, this is my first time applying. I started this journey last year just before the AUG/SEP2011 board and was not able to submit a packet because I lacked some of the interviews. I immediately started working on my packet for MAR2012 and am glad to say that my recruiter said she was confident, although I have been made aware by both recruiters and other officers (and confirmed here) that selection may not happen until my 2-3 try. After reading posts from many well-qualified individuals that tried several times, I am encouraged to keep on trying if I am not selected. While no one wants to get the "non-select" letter/announcement, I do not plan to give up, this means too much for me. I simply cannot wait for the day that I can proudly wear the Navy uniform, and I am not just saying that for sympathy.

I would like to ask a question to those that have already applied before. Do applicants interview with the Selection Board? If so, at what point of the process? My recruiter has not told me that I need to prepare myself for a panel interview. Of course, I have completed the required interviews and thankfully, have received recommendations and high marks in them, including two Flag Officers and the CO of the Telecomm/Computers Division at NAS Coronado. Please understand that I am not bragging in any way, I know there are extremely qualified individuals in this forum that were not selected the first time around. I am looking at how I can prepare myself to achieve my dream, any advice is appreciated.

Thank you very much for reading my post, I look forward to your responses.

PS Does anyone know the number of available IP billets for the upcoming board? Thanks!

das

Contributor
You do not interview with the selection board. The interviews happen before your package even goes to the board; those are the interviews you have already completed. Your package will be briefed to the board members, and they will vote.

Indeed, others have applied 2, 3, or more times before being selected. While persistence pays off, the board is also looking for how you have improved yourself from package to package. The non-select letter is the key tool to find out what the board is looking for.

There are about 5 quotas each available for INTEL, IW, and IP. These numbers are not extremely surprising for IW and IP, though INTEL is significantly lower than it's been in the recent past at the second board of the FY.

If you're reading all of the DCO threads here, you're already far more informed than most people in this process!

Hector Torres

htorrespr
You do not interview with the selection board. The interviews happen before your package even goes to the board; those are the interviews you have already completed. Your package will be briefed to the board members, and they will vote.

Indeed, others have applied 2, 3, or more times before being selected. While persistence pays off, the board is also looking for how you have improved yourself from package to package. The non-select letter is the key tool to find out what the board is looking for.

There are about 5 quotas each available for INTEL, IW, and IP. These numbers are not extremely surprising for IW and IP, though INTEL is significantly lower than it's been in the recent past at the second board of the FY.

If you're reading all of the DCO threads here, you're already far more informed than most people in this process!

Das,

Thank you for clarifying that interview question for me and thank you for your contributions, your shared knowledge makes it easier for candidates like myself to understand the process better.