• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cut the strings or don't apply

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think there is an extreme element that is overly involved in their kids' lives. It's over the top. I was recently standing watch and answered a call from a worried mother making sure her daughter was going to be picked up from the airport for her first fleet assignment. I almost chuckled, but I treated her with respect and made sure her daughter had a ride for the next day. As a parent myself, I understood that and respected her even if her "kid" was now an adult.

However, there is the other side that can and will assist in whatever way appropriate when asked. Is there harm in that? What is the cutoff age? Is it better to tell your kids at age 18 : "see ya and good luck" ?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think there is an extreme element that is overly involved in their kids' lives. It's over the top. I was recently standing watch and answered a call from a worried mother making sure her daughter was going to be picked up from the airport for her first fleet assignment. I almost chuckled, but I treated her with respect and made sure her daughter had a ride for the next day. As a parent myself, I understood that and respected her even if her "kid" was now an adult.

However, there is the other side that can and will assist in whatever way appropriate when asked. Is there harm in that? What is the cutoff age? Is it better to tell your kids at age 18 : "see ya and good luck" ?

wow. My mom often jokingly says she's going to "call the Navy and tell them (fill in the blank)" or whatever else and I have always thought she was joking, but this thread worries me.... :eek:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
This is what you were trying to say wasn't it?

Leave us out of it.

I thought that they were called "Harrier parents" because they are equivalent to our LSO's whose major function is to tell us to check our water switches and then go to idle after we land. The helo dudes are able to land their plane without 10 guys up in PriFly telling them how to land their plane. :D

I wish I had a "helicopter parent" to tell me to put the collective down after I landed on spot 7. That would be awesome! :D

S3b_viking

I knew of several of those Helicopter moms while I was at the academy, including ond dad. One mom moved the entire family from Minnesota to Annapolis so that she could be closer to her son and watch over him. Another dad was a USNA graduate, became a B&G officer (only while his son was applying), filled out his son's application (essays and all), and fluffed his son's resume. Needless to say, none of his peers enjoy having him there. He's also on the croquet team :D but I'm sure there are many more similiar stories.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew of several of those Helicopter moms while I was at the academy, including ond dad. One mom moved the entire family from Minnesota to Annapolis so that she could be closer to her son and watch over him. Another dad was a USNA graduate, became a B&G officer (only while his son was applying), filled out his son's application (essays and all), and fluffed his son's resume. Needless to say, none of his peers enjoy having him there. He's also on the croquet team :D but I'm sure there are many more similiar stories.

Nothing wrong with croquet :D. But yeah, there are definitely some pretty bad helicopter parents here even now. One dad I know put up a blog detailing his son's accomplishments each semester here, complete with descriptions of every single time they've come to visit.

red_ryder

None
Omg, I'd have freaked out if that were me. How do they get these parents off their backs? Do they even want them off their backs?

MasterBates

Wow.. Just wow.

My dad gave me $400ish for gas and tolls, and told me to have fun. Mom told me not to knock up any girls.

That was about the extent of my parent-school interfacing.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This is what you were trying to say wasn't it?

I wish I had a "helicopter parent" to tell me to put the collective down after I landed on spot 7. That would be awesome! :D

You mean a copilot, two crewmen, and an LSE isn't enough for you guys? It isn't "10 guys", but it's a lot more than we use.

Anyway.....I just got back from waving in Okinawa today. Good times.....

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Sort of relevant to this discussion, there is now a discussion now going over on the serviceacademyforum about another kid's observation that there are many times more parents than kids discussing getting in the USNA- and the parents are furiously buzzing around over the question- an active-duty naval officer even got dissed when he asked the parents to pay attention to the kid's observation
http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/showthread.php?t=2281

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Sort of relevant to this discussion, there is now a discussion now going over on the serviceacademyforum about another kid's observation that there are many times more parents than kids discussing getting in the USNA- and the parents are furiously buzzing around over the question- an active-duty naval officer even got dissed when he asked the parents to pay attention to the kid's observation
http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/showthread.php?t=2281
Wow, Wink was even quoted in that thread. I can only guess who VMINROTChopeful is..... :)